Gelineau Tones for the Divine Office
  • rye
    Hello, I'm a brother in a small religious community that chants morning and evening prayer. I'd like to start using the Gelineau Psalm tones. I have three of his books of psalms + canticles, plus a book of graduals. However, that doesn't cover all of the psalms and canticles used in the 4-week psalter of the Divine Office. I could adapt the existing tones for the other psalms and canticles, but might have difficulty matching them up. Any advice? Would it be better to try to adapt the existing ones, or to use different tones altogether? I'm still learning about all this. Thank you.
  • Hello, Brother.

Psalms, A New Translation: Singing Version, published by Paulist Press, has a wealth of Gelineau tones in the back of the book, and each psalm has a note as to which psalm tone is particularly appropriate. Some psalms refer to one of the separate Gelineau books, which it sounds like you probably have already. Anyway, that Grail book with the tones in back will add tremendously to the tones that you've collected so far.

It's this psalter.