organ vs piano
  • Pax! I've been taught that in order to do the vocal practices I should use a piano. Can I do the same practices on an organ? I mean, there is no piano in a great sung Liturgy but there may be an organ.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    My MMus is in voice, and I have taught voice lessons to majors and non-majors at the college level. I never use organ in those private lessons, even when one is available. I also have never been taught a voice lesson by someone using an organ rather than a piano.

I do use organ about 50% of the time for choral rehearsals.

Is this what you were asking?
  • Ultimately, for rehearsal purposes, I think either instrument can be helpful. The sound of the organ with its winded and sustained tone is arguably more vocal and certainly less intrusive on choral timbres. On the other hand, the percussive nature of the piano can be beneficial in communicating complex rhythms and merely 'keeping time'. In the final analysis, though, there can be no question that the best teaching aid for singing is the human voice. Whatever instrument one uses as a rehearsal aid, one should be able to demonstrate vocally every musical line, nuance and diction... most particularly with chant (never ever try to teach chant but by vocal example because the soul of chant cannot be illustrated nor apprehended but by the human voice). Every choirmaster, of course, hasn't the 'voice' to do this, but the extent to which he or she can will make all the difference in the results achieved: don't just describe what you want or plunk out pitches on an instrument.. demonstrate with you own voice the sound and musicality you want.

I would like to amplify what I said above: teach by singing and wean your choirs from instrument dependency. Teach them to sing with their ears and to hear within themselves the pitches, rhythms and nuance that make music music. A piano may ultimately be self defeating because it introduces an essentially non-vocal element, timbre, into the psyche which will never be used in liturgical performance.
  • You could also use a harpsicord! Seriously, I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking: leading a choir rehearsal, teaching a private lesson, or simply warming up your own voice before cantoring?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm with Earl--I don't think that I know exactly what you are asking. Could you clarify?
  • I would have understood the request as being directed to private lessons. But either way the organ is less usable for this purpose as its sustained tone would make the singers attach to it, whilst the tone of the piano is rapidly gone and you have to keep the tone by yourself. (I wish I could explain that better. The more sophisticated members will hopefully know what I mean and explain it more eloquently.)
  • Well, people here are not using their brains (which are gifts from God)....or maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I was asking about the organ and vocal exercises like singing scales. People say that the organ is more similar to a human voice. Does this mean that we can use the organ when doing these exercises?
  • Yes.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • marajoymarajoy
    You can use a ukulele, as long as it's in tune.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • GavinGavin
    It's best to use your ears (which are also gifts from God).
  • Piano/Organ doesn't make all that much difference for personal practice. I would be more inclined to recommend piano since you can hit particular notes harder for emphasis when checking tuning of certain phrases, which you cannot do on the organ.

For choir rehearsals, I would tend to recommend the organ, simply because many older organs are not tuned to A=440. The organ in my church is tuned to about A446/A447 (varies depending on the weather). We got around tuning issues by using an electric piano in the rehearsal room with the pitch adjusted to match the organ.
  • ryandryand
    No you cannot use the organ for practicing scales.

Use your brain.

Am I being clear enough?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    You can use whatever works best! If you have both a piano and an organ, I would expect the piano to have some advantages in exercises (rhythmic clarity, pitch stability over time).
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Purple alert (actually should be BLUE)
    I'm considering using various lengths of white PVC tubing mounted in artistic configurations struck by mallets. Untempered tuning, of course.