Words with Wings
  • Ok, today I got the teacher and student book in the mail and I opened it up.

I paged briefly through the two books, for about 39 seconds.

EVERYONE ON THE LIST SHOULD BUY THE TEACHER'S BOOK NOW.

Unless you have a degree in chant. That's how good it is.

• RachelR
    *** (Many asterisks because I feel silly and like I must be missing something very obvious!)
    I have bought both of these books for my Sunday School classroom, and I have so far been unsuccessful in using them with my classroom. As soon as I got to to Ch. 6, I got lost. What is this "dancing" I am supposed to show them, and I cannot figure out how to draw all the curved lines in Ch. 7. I have given up, but maybe you all here can explain it to me. I want to use it so badly--what am I missing?
  • Rachel, I am sure that people will come to your rescue and get you back on your feet again!
  • miacoyne
    I did lesson 6 today for 5th and 6th graders (actually only the first half of the lesson 6, up to ex.4)

First I had them repeat the text after me (with the light stress on the proper syllable. Also explain the meaning of the text, ex) what's the meaning of 'fili'? Who knows the relationship of "Joseph and David?. etc. Ask them. They definitely liked being challenged.), then had them do the 'wave' with the hand, while saying the text. They watch me doing it first, and then do it with me. The first one, 'Alleluia' had two 'waves,' the next one had three 'waves' and etc...

Then, had them circle 'Do' clef and find the starting note, (If the exercise is simple and short, they memorize the solfege notes, if it's a bit complicated, they write down the note names.. Sing the solfege, then sing the text with the 'waves' with hand.
    (With 'Kyrie eleison,' I had the children practice drawing the number 8 in sideways in the air.)
    I had a volunteer for each exercise to come to the front and conduct (doing the hand motion) for the entire class. We had fun classes, and the kids were definitely engaged.

I'm sure people can come up with different ideas, and I might do it differently from class to class according to the ability and the age level. But I think each lesson is very simple, flexible and most of all beautiful.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen RachelR
  • As I study these materials, I can see that Arlene Oost-Zinner has not just translated Wilko Brouwers' text, but also infused it with his character. Amazing work!