choral pieces for very few singers
  • Hello everyone,

I'm looking for unison/very simple two part women choral pieces for the 5 women who sing in the church choir. Due to one having a very very strong personality and not having a welcoming feeling the once 15 size choir decided not the put up with it anymore and most of them left before I took over as music director. To where I am now left with 5 people. Very hard for picking out choral pieces!!!

Can anyone lead me to some good unison/two part women choral pieces for big feasts days (christ the king, advent, christmas season etc.) I normally only use a choral piece on big feast days. On regular ordinary time Sundays I just use four hymns and the fill in the rest with subdued organ pieces.

Thanks so much!
  • Protasius
    The Anthologia vocalis (scroll down to Choral music) has simple three-part pieces in Latin, if this is helpful. Also, there are plenty of good unison chant pieces in the Laudes Festivae and Cantus selecti.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Richard Rice's Simple Choral Gradual would be something to look at for a group this size. Also, there is much to utilize on the Small Choirs UK website.
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    For sheer simplicity and beauty of use during late Advent, there is probably not a better choice than the 13th century two-equal voices setting of "Veni, veni Emmanuel" which is in the New Oxford Book of Carols (at number 16, I think), with both Latin and English texts. An abridged version (with only 5 stanzas, Latin only), is available here from CPDL.

Thanked by 2Felicity JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    St. James Press, England has a series, "Canons and Crochets," where you buy one book filled with about 15-20 little two part (any voicing) gem motets, fully indiced and not difficult.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • GavinGavin
    Chant.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    There's a list of two part Christmas music here... seven to choose from.

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:Multi-Category_Search
  • I saw the St. James Press, but I was only able to find one year subscription for 140 dollars. Is there a way to purchase individual pieces on that site or just the one year subscription??

Please tell me more about this Canons and Crochets book, it sounds very interesting!
  • Since you are probably going to have accompaniment at this point, almost any SATB anthem can be sung, often very effectively, as a unison or two part piece. There's no shame in doing this ;<) and choirs that do this often find people coming up saying, "<br />I sang bass on that in college, could I sing in the choir?"

Rebuilding a choir after the exit of a toxic member is like walking in a meadow of gently swaying grass. Peace reigns once again!

There are a ton of free anthems at www.cpdl.org as CHGiffen mentions (he's a major mover and shaker there) and you may actually sort them to be for two parts and sacred, which saves a lot of time. If you are new here, welcome, and also check out www.thecatholicchoirbook.com, which is free for downloads and my project.

CPDL.org is one of the sources we used to create the Anthology and part of the inspiration to make it available free ourselves.
  • marajoymarajoy
    That's interesting about St. James Music Press- it used to be that you could buy a book (there were several to choose from, and you could copy it basically unlimited) for about $45. It appears they've changed that and you can just print/copy anything from the entire site for $140 a year. But I don't think that's a bad deal if you're going to use more than a couple pieces!
    (I do think it would be nice if they could offer some more flexibility, for example, a much smaller price for the option of printing only 3 pieces.)
  • I agree with you marajoy! I saw two pieces that I absolutely loved on St. James but I don't want to spend the 140 bucks for just two pieces. There is one on the St. James Site I'm thinking of for Christ the King called Lo! He Comes With Clouds Descending (Hemsley hymn tune). The text speaks so much of Christ the King and Palm Sunday. Even though it's under the advent section, I don't understand that part! HAHA. Is it okay to use that during Christ the King?? Thoughts??
  • BenBen
    CHGiffen has a nice 2 part Ave Maria (with an optional 3rd part) that you might look at.

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Ave_Maria_à_3_(Charles_H._Giffen)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I often find excellent choral material perusing the SATB hymn arrangements in The English Hymnal.
    http://archive.org/details/theenglishhymnal00milfuoft
  • Ben Yanke,

copy the link again, it didn't open for some reason! :-( What are your thoughts of Lo He Comes With Clouds Descending for a Christ the King hymn?? Do you think it fits with the readings for the day and the overall theme??
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry Joy and MM23, didn't know they'd changed their pricing policies. Perhaps individual copies of "C and C's" can be found on line via Amazon and such.
  • canadashcanadash
    Also, check out Canticanova.com. They have many hymn suggestions as well as excellent synopsises of readings and a multitude of links. I think that "Lo He Comes" is an Advent hymn.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for the shout-out, Ben! The link you posted is somewhat garbled, as it omits the composer name in parenthesis. I'll used this opportunity to fill the picture in a bit about my 2- and 3-part Ave Maria settings.

The work was first composed as a 2-part Soprano-Baritone setting with an interpolated third Alto part "descant" added as the composition progressed. So, by the time the work was finished, it was complete both as a 2-part SBar and a 3-part SABar setting. Sometime later, it occurred to me that with the 2-part setting, a better result might be obtained by transposing the Baritone part up and octave, so that a 2-part SA (really SMz) setting resulted, entirely suitable for female voices. In fact, this latter 2-part SA setting is, I think, a better fit than the 2-part SBar setting. Anyway, here are the relevant direct links to PDF scores and a couple of the MP3 sound files:

2-part SA setting PDF (the preferred 2-part setting). Sound file MP3

3-part SABar setting PDF (the original work). Sound file MP3

2-part SBar setting PDF (the derived 2-part setting from the SABar setting obtained by omitting the Alto part).

And here are the links to the relevant score pages at CPDL:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Ave_Maria_%C3%A0_3_(Charles_H._Giffen): Ave Maria à 3 (Charles H. Giffen)

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Ave_Maria_%C3%A0_2_(Charles_H._Giffen): Ave Maria à 2 (Charles H. Giffen)

Note about linking to CDPL materials

Also, when linking to scores at CPDL, people should use the prefix www.CPDL... rather than www1.CPDL..., www2.CPDL.org..., or www3.CPDL.org... . The "www" refers to the main (contributor) ChoralWiki site for CPDL, while the others are mirror (visitor) sites suitable for browsing and/or downloading, but they are only updated once a day and hence may be up to 24 hours out of date. Serious users are encouraged to Register and Login at the main (www) site and avail themselves of the opportunity to make editorial and score contributions, as well as to communicate via the talk (discussion) pages of works, contributors, and composers. At any rate, the preferred way of linking to anything at CPDL is through the principal (www) URL, rather than the visitor (www1, www2, and www3) URLs, any of which might or might not be unavailable during mirroring and back-up.
  • The first page of this is the most lovely 2 part polyphony I have seen:

Josquin, Ave Verum

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/images/f/fa/Despres_ave_verum_full.pdf

There is a recording on youtube where some young women sing the third part up the octave to make it SSA. I really like it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihW4XdCw5o)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I love this Josquin and so does my schola. I created an edition in D in which the tenors switch back and forth between assisting the altos and singing with the basses, to which anyone is welcome if interested.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • After reading several requests for sacred music for smaller choirs, I decided to make this little website:

www.sacredmusicfortreblevoices.wordpress.com

I have more scores to add, but it contains more suggestions that my last post.
  • I believe that Jeffrey Tucker put this early-20th-century Italian motet collection into digitized form:

http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/secunda.pdf

Since I enjoy this collection so much, I'm going to repeat what I said about it on an earlier Musica Sacra forum post. Namely: "The motet I happen to like best is Ecce Panis Angelorum, by G.B. Polleri, which starts on page 161; I can vouch for the fact that a competent SSA choir - whether unaccompanied or with very discreet organ backing - can make this piece sound like a million dollars."
  • CatholicRose, that is an excellent idea.

The Secunda is a great resource. My schola is also fond of the Grassi Salve Regina, and sings the Polleri regularly as well.

Jeff Reynolds has a Compline Choir with a huge repertoire of 2- and 3-part music that he freely shares. I cannot figure out how to find members' contact information without seeing their posting IDs, but if you e-mail me via www.scholavoxclara.com I will be happy to give you his e-mail address.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jeffrey Reynolds's MSF nickname is @jefe (it's jefe in real life), so you can send him a message here (which also gets emailed directly to him), simply by clicking on the link, that goes to his profile here.
  • Harkening back to St. James music press, I have several of their books which I purchased before they changed their format to an annual license fee. Since I don't use their stuff that often I can't justify the annual fee, but purchasing a few of their books or cdrom antholgies is a good investment for smaller choirs or any choir with a small budget. It may be worth contacting them to see if they will still sell one of the old books which includes an unlimited copying license for the parish.

It's a shame other publishers don't do the same. I don't mind purchasing a score once, but when copies are lost by careless musicians it would be nice to just hit print rather than having to repurchase it. I suppose it's just not profitable enough which is probably the reason St. James switched formats.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Spot on, EG. If one has much trust for Richard Shepherd's work, and not a lot of time to audition the entire St. James landscape, it's unlikely that you'll just make a risky economic investment in "buying the whole cow."
    Somewhat similar to say, wanting a hymnal full of Randall DeBruyn but having to pay for viele Seite aus Carey Landry! Argggh.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • @ Patricia Cecilia - I'd love a copy of the Josquin that you mentioned. Thanks! You can email me at icantorivocals@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's the Josquin Ave verum corpus transposed down a perfect fourth, for ATB.

Edit: Thanks to Andrew Malton for spotting a typo that has now been corrected.

2nd Edit: One more typo has been caught.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And here is the Josquin Ave verum corpus at original pitch for SAT.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Any suggestions for a nice motet for Thanksgiving - SA or SSA? Just found out my Tenor is going away for the holiday - as are most of the rest of the choir. My original plan is not going to work. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • Sleep in. :)
    Thanked by 2canadash tomboysuze
  • I couldn't figure out from the conversation over in the Newcomers section whether bumping old threads was in or out... so I'm resurrecting this thread, hopefully. If anyone else has any compositions to contribute for 2 female voices I would be glad. 3 voices is not doable at present. Thank you CHGiffen for your wonderful Ave Maria!
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    2 female voices

If you can not muster 3 singers, I have to assume the two you have need things I the easier side...

- Many traditional hymns can be pressed into easy service as "choral pieces," and it is often the case that melody + Alto works quite well.

- Adding a simple drone-like harmony to any of the pieces in the Parish Book of Chant, or chant hymns (in Latin or English) can also be quite lovely.

- If you only have two singers, your most important goal is getting more singers. Get really good at (monophonic) Gregorian chant, so as to inspire more people to join.
    Thanked by 1Sancta_Scholastica
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Is organ included?
    If it is, then there are a ton of things in Latin for 2 equal voices and organ. The French made some good contributions (Faure is nice but more difficult than most), the Italians around Perosi, and the Flemish (we're doing a Jef Tinel Regina Coeli for Easter). Much of this music was written after 1903 and pays some honor to Caecilian ideals. Much of it was published before 1923 and is available on IMSLP. If I know specifically what sort of music you need, I could make some specific suggestions. Click here to get an idea of what's out there.
  • Heath
    Shameless plug for my collection entitled Bread from Heaven, sold through Lulu press. Seven SA motets amidst many others.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2015/02/bread-from-heaven-new-book-of-english.html#idc-container
    Thanked by 1Sancta_Scholastica
  • Thank you so much for your responses. Yes, we have done the melody + Alto but I was looking for something more in the motet style like what Heath has shamelessly plugged (Thank you! I will be purchasing your book!) We are quite skilled in Gregorian Chant but sometimes you need to add a little bit of sweetness for the untrained ear which is why I am trying to expand our little repertoire. I have singers but not any confident enough to hold their part. Yes, Latin is definately in but no organist unfortunately. Jeffrey: Latin or English 2 voices anything, simpler the better. Thank you!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • donr
    I really like Crux Fidelis by Rose at CPDL. I am not able to look it up for you to post a link currently but it's very nice. The ladies in our choir sing it as the men venerate the cross.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathryn Rose (a professional hornist, organist & choirmistress, serpent player, as well as composer) has been writing some very nice music and making it available freely through CPDL. Her Crux Fidelis is indeed a gem.
  • Thanks, donr and CHGiffen! I'm glad the music is being used and that you like it; and I was in need of encouragement when I stumbled across this.

• I guess I should identify myself, I'm Kathryn Rose who wrote Crux Fidelis. The handle is an anagram.