Catnip for liturgical radicals, h/t Fr. Z
  • From the Madison Catholic Herald:

Some people are upset that Sister Roccasalvo condemns the use of songs that have very little value as actual music (i.e., songs that are shoddily composed, use inappropriate or heretical text, call for the use of multiple tambourines as accompaniment, etc).

Her comments have been interpreted by some as an attack on the ability of the congregation to actively participate in the liturgy. Others are offended because they believe that any music that makes them feel good is proper for use at the Mass.

I’ll be honest: when I hear comments like this, I want to beat my head repeatedly against my desk. Rather than give in to this temptation, here I will instead offer two simple points before moving into the main portion of my thoughts on the matter.

CONTINUE READING ...
  • BenBen
    I am proud to say this is from my diocese's newspaper.
  • DougS
    I find the article condescending.
  • DougS
    Charles, I had only glanced through the original article by Sr. Dr. Roccasalvo, but now I think I'll pass on that as well.
  • CharlesW
    I think the term, "active participation," is that storied red fish known to many. It is a distraction, and is misleading. I agree with the points raised about self-centered music. One of the problems with many such articles, is they don't lay out a reasonable alternative to what is being criticized. The approach of, "Let's throw out all the bad, and put in all the good," rarely works well in the typical parish. Improving music is a slow, steady process, taking years to accomplish.
    Thanked by 2DougS E_A_Fulhorst

When the church you regularly attend looks like this, active participation seems less relevant.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Perspective is a living, evolving aspect of the heart and mind. Your point is powerful, Chris, and I had a very rude revelation of that when moving from the Oakland Diocese to the Fresno Cathedral, in which the environment above bears much resemblance. From famine to feast, so to speak.
    Again, I'm gladdened that we are more and more enabled to appreciate our liturgical artistry and artifacts in a thoroughly informed manner (witness the fanon flap elsewhere.) And I'm also happy that the iconoclasts did not win "the day" then, nor have they prevailed in these post-conciliar years totally. Amen.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst