Musica Sacra School for Cantors
  • Isn't it about time?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    NPM charges fees and issues certificates.
    Hey, I've an idea...
  • Actually....you bring to mind AGO certification.

Why not offer exams resulting in certification like the AGO? They have authorization from the NY State Board of Regents for their degrees. How about tying into a college like Ave Maria?

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sorry to rain mud on this parade, but:
    Isn't it about time?
    I hope not.
    NPM charges fees and issues certificates.
    This sounds like yet another scheme for someone to be making money at the expense of already underpaid church musicians.
    Why not offer exams resulting in certification like the AGO?
    Seriously, why? How will the arm-flapping part of the exam be administered ... and by whom? Do we really need yet another hurdle for musicians to jump through. This sounds too much like tigers having to jump through a flaming hoop at the circus?
  • There are those who want to learn and receive evaluation of their abilities that they can post on a wall or in a resume.

I've not suggested that anyone pay a penny. I am sure that there are cantors out there that would make wonderful singers of chant who could easily intone chants for the schola and choir.

Their choirs were disbanded, they were shunted downstairs where the guitar group plays and instead of being part of a group of like-minded singers, now sing, alone, over a microphone, music that can be hard to sing. They are often frustrated with their role.

Many see these people as a distraction, unneeded and useless. I'm one of them. But that does not mean that they are not Catholics who love liturgy and are doing this only because everything else a person who likes to sing has been destroyed, leaving the only option being part of a 1970's guitar group.

Also, why should a qualified chant director not have the opportunity to be judged by her peers or his, and receive evaluation of their skills? Would this not be a natural job of an organization that offers training at the highest level? The fact that I am an AAGO says that at one time in my life I was able to play well enough and take exams that established my ability. Could people not take an exam when they are ready, having been prepared by paying to attend a colloquium? Should the colloquium be free or should it be damned because it requires people to pay money?

Is Musica Sacra just another scam and scheme to make money at the expense of already underpaid church musicians?

I'm offended by the idea I am suggesting schemes to make money of already underpaid church musicians and the thought that Musica Sacra is in that business as well.

Remember that he who throws mud loses ground and it appears that it's not being made any more.

Your assumptions of my and Adam's post are way off base, friend.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Resume items are important, and it seems to me that NPM is offering lots of them right now. CMAA should compete with that, at least a little bit, like they're doing with the Winter Chant Intensive--kudos on that, CMAA!

We need more opportunities like these in areas around the country so that people are learning about the good, beautiful truth that is found in authentic sacred music.

Lest I be accused of doing all sorts of griping without putting in the effort to do something about it and to become a part of the solution...MusicaSacra Forum member "Ally" and I have got something in the works! Upper Midwest, look out :)
    Thanked by 2Ally ryand
  • francis
    How about a short book like the faq on sacred music but for cantors? history of, common practices, girm rules, responsibilities, etc.
  • In my locale, cantors are so underpaid that most quality singers just don't do it. So qualified cantors should be able to expect good pay.

Don't get me wrong-
    I'm all for singer certifications, which is why I have two degrees in voice. I think cmaa could do something like this.

If such a program could both equip singers to lead chant acapella and convince parishes to pay skilled cantors adequately, that'd be super.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a1437053a1437053
    How about online classes? Free to share.

Want certification? Pay an instructor to evaluate your work. (Mail in a cassette of your chanting? And a Polaroid of your Psalm-crowd-engaging-action?)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Forgive me, for I didn't mean to offend, but the juxtaposition of "Isn't if about time" and "NPM charges fees..." struck a discord in me. I certainly didn't think that Musica Sacra would try to make money off of a cantor school and/or certification. On the other hand, I do seriously worry about how most musicians already committed to serving the church can afford to foot the bill for such training and/or certification ... and there certainly would be some costs entailed that the CMAA would not be in a position to write off. It didn't help that I read "Hey, I've an idea..." immediately after the charges fees statement ... but perhaps that was said tongue-in-cheek, in which case I missed the irony or humor.

Certification is something different than a School for Cantors, too, especially if such a school is to require attendance somewhere (and charge tuition to cover costs?). And, unless such a school holds "classes" at widely varying locations throughout the country, then it becomes something that is probably available only to those who live nearby.

I guess that my main concerns are (1) cost to participants and (2) wide availability or accessibility of what is being proposed.

Again, my apologies to Noel and Adam.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • The AGO program does not require attendance, offers training materials and charges only for taking the exam. No one has to buy the training materials.

Just like Musica Sacra Colloquium and Intensive, the charges are only to make it possible for the program to happen. The Colloquium may want to consider having a final day exam as an option, members pay an additional fee to take an exam and walk out with certification if they pass, for everyone that attends at their levels

If we were to survey churches across the US, you'd find that statistically very few cantors are paid. These people, like schola directors, would be more apt to want to pay for training than paid singers, who need to make money to make a living.

All the cantor training done over the last 40 years has been in the wrong direction. Shouldn't cantors be invited to learn about Chabanel, SEP and more? They have equal influence over music programs, as much as DM's, since they can bitch and moan about music they do not like...and force congregations to be stuck with OCP forever.

Show them something else. Show them how to sing musically and coordinate with the organist so they so not have to wave their arms, convince them to sing as part of a small group of cantors so that they still sing the verses solo, but have a small group with them that sings the refrain....and you have created a schola.

Cantors like what they are doing. They can and will get other cantors to sing at their Mass like this.

Watch the vespers at Notre Dame for inspiration.

"I guess that my main concerns are (1) cost to participants and (2) wide availability or accessibility of what is being proposed. " These are things that should clear here, of all places, are not a problem and are, in fact, what the group is all about. Anyone who joins this group and then creates a project solely to make money off of it - gets discouraged real quick and drops out.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Items to consider-Pro
    *Establish a formal relationship between CMAA and accredited university (Dusquene?) for standards and documentation.
    *Establish local liasons within CMAA (via chapters/appointed individuals) to chanceries/diocesan Offices of Worship to maintain endorsement status and recognition/value of certification
    *Establish definitive relationships with interested dioceses that hold RE and Ministry Annual conventions in order to gain a foothold with workshop breakout presentations, plenum addresses and inclusion of chant/polyphony at all event liturgies.
    *Solicit recognition from as broad based a coalition of bishops from Dolan, Bruskewitz, Cordileone, Gomez, Soto, Vigneron, Olmstead, Slattery, Lori, Chaput, Wuerl etc.

Con
    *Don't model after NPM "schools." Paying fee is not tantamount to accountability for achieving expertise.
    *Don't make this a solely CMAA driven program. As said above, associations with Madeleine School, Mundelein (under Barron), Latona/Nestor at NBIMC/CUA, CCW, FSSP/Cantius, etc. express a wider vision .
  • donr
    A certification is a great idea. There would be cost involved just to break even. CMAA would need to be involved in order to make sure that everyone is getting trained the same way so that the certification actually means something.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Don's comment brought to mind the other thread in which I bemoaned (yes, it bemoans, ask anyone) the ubiqutious stipulation that DM's must ALWAYS possess organ abilities. If a CMAA certification, carrying the imprimatur of a Dr. Buchholz, a Dr. Mahrt and many of our current mentors whose own credentials would testify to the certifiable one's (!) abilities in directing/teaching/singing chant, skills and knowledge of the great polyphonic choral heritage and a choral pedagogue, that might spur a pastor or bishop to be flexible in such situations, should a CMAA/University paired diploma be acknowledged by USCCB in much the same way AGO certs have been traditionally regarded.
  • Carl DCarl D
    We always need to remember: we are CMAA.

This means that "CMAA needs to..." turns into "we need to..." which then needs to become: "I want to do this, would anyone like to help?"

We are CMAA. WE make it happen.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Carl, point taken, except I'm not sure what the point means in the context of FNJ's proposal. It seems analogous to saying "We the people" make actual administration of the governance of the country happen. I'm also not sure to whom were your comments addressed. Could you be more specific?
  • It is rare for a job listing today to specify organ and much more common to see that the DM be able to play piano, guitar and be a vocalist. This is due to priests who think that we are plumbers, brought in to do a job.

They have not been educated in latin or to understand the role of a church musician. Both are severe deficiencies.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Noel observed that there might be an opportunity to teach a more traditional form of cantoring with the knowledge we have here, then the discussion starts alternating between "yes, CMAA should do this" and "we wouldn't want to have it look like THEIR offering." What seems to be missing is a voice saying "I like the idea, I'm going to do it, anybody want to help?"

This community is at its absolute best when helping and supporting.

$.02
  • I have nothing but the sweat of my brow. Mr. Mellophone? Are you up for being the brains of an outfit?
  • A cantor workshop could offer a look into the options that they have for singing the responsorial psalm and a demonstration of techniques for singing the psalm that would eliminate hand waving.

The demo could be simple - let them watch and hear how it is done badly, then revised. Bringing together a sheet listing the available resources and samples might be the first step.

What choices should we show them for the psalm?
  • This reminds me of what the old Gregorian Institute of America used to do:

CERTIFICATE AND
    DEGREE COURSES

All programs are adapted to the needs of the Catholic Church musician and are pursued through convenient home-study and resident summer school courses.

Courses include:
    • Liturgy
    • Choir Training
    • Church Music Repertoire
    • Polyphony
    • Church Music Legislation
    • Elements of Gregorian Chant
    • Gregorian Chant Rhythm
    • Chant Conducting - Chironomy
    • Gregorian Style
    • Chant Accompaniment
    • Gregorian Modality
    • Psalmody
    • Keyboard Harmony
    • Classical Harmony
    • Modal Counterpoint
    • Solfege

The Gregorian Institute of America is authorized by Laval University, Quebec, to grant the degree of Bachelor of Church Music, and by the Gregorian Institute of Paris to grant diplomas in Gregorian Chant proficiency.

Catholic Choirmasters Certificate

This program includes studies in Liturgy, Choir and Voice Training, Gregorian Chant, Modality, Psalmody and Accompaniment. Training is completed under a world - famous faculty at the Gregorian Institute National Summer School.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Noel, it occurs to me that some well-done Youtube videos could go a long way - reach far more people and without the overhead of a workshop. We could produce a few crude prototypes, ask this group for comments, then publish the second version.

What are the key skills a cantor needs to see examples of?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • donr
    Personally, I would like to see things broken out a little.
    One certificate for chant and schola direction and extra certs for instrument proficiencies.

On line courses (private Youtube, or just downloadable videos, etc.) for lessons with either a live performance test and/or 2 day workshop/testing for final. I am willing to take this to AZ State University, or some community college but someone will have to provide me with a detailed plan.
  • Very sound idea, carl.... I have to admit I hoped that you would respond to this conversation!

First, let's concentrate on what they do badly....and have been trained to do badly.
    Singing musically to reflect the text, with special emphasis on dynamics. Coordinating the dynamics with the organist - the organist changing registrations to match. Indicating the entrance of the Antiphon through how the verse ends reather than any physical gesture.

Second, provide background about how the psalms rhyme and background of the psalms.

Third, focus on singing alternate psalms, Chabanel and more, including doing them in Anglican Chant. Show them the alternatives sung and played the way they should be.

Then dig into the Alleluia the same way.

Donr, Tha tmakes a lot of sense...building the program bit by bit. It could eventually offer credit courses by tying into a college, however though I suggested it, that woudl immediately become expensive. But worth looking forward into in the long run, since some people do get $ for education.
  • Jeffrey Coggins- great. We need 1-5 institutes of sacred music in the U.S., with varying levels and degrees awarded.

Could savvy bishops attach such institutes to their seminaries? Those with the facilities would then add instructors. That would also go a long way toward reaching seminarians.

I like the bit by bit stop-gap stuff because it's so badly needed, incl you-tube videos, etc., and I also like something more thorough like Jeffrey mentions above.

Another thought- offer levels-
    1) cantor
    2) cantor/ section leader
    3) cantor/ section leader/ schola director
    4) cantor/ section leader/ schola director/ choir director
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, we're from on our way. But first, could folks stop mis-associating my "user name" now with the mistaken notion that it has something to do with being Californian. And could we also refrain from any slights towards Francis, no matter how mirthfully intended.
    EAF- I'm pushing 62, have a four parish merge in which the jury is still out. We have a pretty strong crew, but a lot of us are also greybeards. I'm an "idea" guy. As far as admin, my cup runneth over. Oversight, yes, I could CMAA be all that Carl wants us to be.
    I've been down this road before in the Oakland Diocese in association with Holy Names College. It is tough sledding. And that's when no one gave rip about chant and choirs.
    You know why? It's the volunteer thing. Same problem we deal with in our own vineyards. Even those of us with decades, degrees and diplomacy.
    Bishops have to install Offices of Worship with responsibilities beyond networking with OCP, being a middleman of info about stuff like YHWH and tropes, and assembling showcase choirs for diocesan events. Having little pat you on the back affirmation sessions that unveil new rep or Masses (the MR3 implementation) are pathetically led and, iin my experience hostile to anything but AmChurch stuff.
    So, I just caution that if "we" or CMAA wants to go beyond visionquest, the odds are long, and the road is all up hill. So, let's just keep it real.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Everything worthwhile is an uphill road - that's why we're given each other!