Lovely article at "Crisis" about composer Morton Lauridsen by Robert Reilly
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Funny, this seems like something that Charles in Cen Ca would have recommended we read back in the days when he was in his prime...in the olden days....
  • Interesting article, especially for me, who has never had the pleasure of singing anything by Lauridsen nor knowingly heard any of his music. I do sort of like this situation, where there's a composer or author regarded as quite good but I have yet to experience. Looking forward to that magic moment (any day now) when I can sit and focus and be introduced to his works one by one.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Scott, I met Lauridsen in Chicago (ACDA) in a Hilton lobby, my first year of HS Choral. We were doing the third of his Rilke "Rose" cycle, not numero uno octavo "Dirait on." I managed not be freaked, already being a very middle aged guy like him, and introduced, and asked him about the tempo of this under performed movement. He was just as cool and sublime as the article and his music! No wonder he found a soul-mate in Salamunovich. I've conducted and since sung a great deal of ML, and had a former student degree in comp under him. He's a real deal in the art. And his music transcends any dogmatic constraints. He , like me and every other composer includeing Part and Whitaker, bear the burden of "quoting" ourselves, but there's only so many notes in the cosmos. So we make our own galaxies, yes? I would know Lauridsen just like I would know Poulence or Debussy, given the chance.
  • Liam
    Lauridsen's palette has, unfortunately, gained many imitators who do not necessarily do it as skillfully. Long ago I had wished that the USCCB had offered him a commission for a creative commons choral setting of the vernacular ordinary (preferably after re-translation, now done), also with parts for the people (a constraint would have been a good challenge for the composer, I think).

There are, IMNSHO, too many choral etudes masquerading as modern sacred music (ooh, see how altos and tenors can sing parallel tritones or major sevenths or minor ninths, until their noses bleed, cool...)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, Liam, an self-evident artistically worthy Mass WITH congregational components! Sounds like a Francis Mannion dream....
    I tend to employ sopranos as my psalmists, and a really gifted one actually was suffering a nose-bleed mid-psalm two weeks ago, CenValley allergens, Drat. She muscled up, and blew through those verses like Vladamir Klitscko! I was so proud of her. And no it wasn't W.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    He, like me and every other composer includeing Part and Whitaker, bear the burden of "quoting" ourselves, but there's only so many notes in the cosmos.
    Let me see ... should this read as follows?
    He, like me and every other composer including Part and Whitacre, bears the burden of "quoting" himself, but there are only so many notes in the cosmos.
    If so, I think I understand it now. If not, Chuck, could you please clarify it?

And your last sentence: "I would know Lauridsen just like I would know Poulence[sic] or Debussy, given the chance." I'm not sure what meaning you attach to it. But, since Poulenc and Debussy are no longer with us, yet have recognizable compositional styles, I'm wondering if you mean that you would like to be able to recognize Lauridsen's music (even if the particular piece is perhaps unknown to you) in the same way that you presumably recognize a work by Poulenc or Debussy. Is that it?

Here's an anecdote from my own experience. I still recall hearing some symphonic music on public radio a number of years ago and thinking, because I already was quite familiar with the entire symphonic output of the composer, "That sounds a bit like bad Mahler." Well, in fact it was Mahler, sort of, as reconstructed from the sketches from his unfinished 10th symphony. I had a similar reaction to the reconstructed final movement of the Bruckner 9th symphony. In each case, I could hear the master's hand in the work, but also the hand of the reconstructor making the result sound (at least to me) somewhat off.

But, principally, thank you for pointing us to the review!!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, you're right, Chuck.
    On the second question, "no," I didn't mean that in a "drop the needle" music history exam manner. I meant simply, that for moi, Lauridsen had "arrived" into the pantheon. Like John Adams of San Francsico, or Gorecki, Corigliano, Thomas Newman, and probably a hundred more I've yet to encounter.
    We've read through your Christmas pieces, great fun!
    (Sorry 'bout the "Poulence." But even that, en Francaise, sounds too cool for school. Come to think of it, I've never understood why Francois' surname is rendered "Poo-lehnk." Help. 'Splain, Lucy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ahhhh, thanks, Chuck ... now I understand your meaning!

Side note, Chuck. When you know which pieces of mine you'll be doing and when (and at what Masses/services), could you please let me know. Patty and I would like to let our friend there in Visalia know so that he can be sure to be there! For that matter, I'd love to be there, too, but it's not too likely this year. Best wishes to you!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think Chris Mueller wrote the Mass Setting you're describing.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As a lifelong Catholic, and a choral conductor by trade, but relatively recent practicioner of truly sacred music, I wonder why it seems like so many (not all) in the traditional vein of sacred music - and also to some extent the traditional forces in choral music at large - ignore (or at best, remain blissfully ignorant of) composers like Lauridsen for as long as they do before they suddenly make a big deal about them.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Was that @ moi, Adam? Mueller's MR3, sung live at SLC, is among those perching at the top of the aesthetics charts currently, for sure. But there is plenty good room up there, especially for a masterwork that unprecendently includes the audience, so to speak.
  • @melofluent--not Lucy but 'splainin'--when I was doing my dissertation on French choral music, I asked a French choral conductor I know if 'poo-lenk' or 'poo-lahnk' was correct. He said the former, as that was the way the family pronounced it. QED :-)

Rather like 'Rafe' Vaughan Williams...
  • And thank you for pointing out the article.
  • DougS
    Patricia, exactly: that was how he said it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Doug, I remember when first encountering Poulence via his "Gloria" as undergrad, that a few of us tenors started chanting "Poo-lenk, poo-lenk-PooLenk" to "He's so fine" (by the Shirelles?)
    I'm going to be a difficult patient sometime in the future! I see a velcro future and my wrists.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @melo

yes, and I knew you were already aware of its treasures, but I suspect not everyone has read my review
  • I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Lauridsen as my freshman and sophomore Music Theory professor back when I was at USC in the 1970s. This was before he became well known. He was known then as "Skip." I suppose that eventually someone figured that Morten sounds better if you are trying to become accepted as a "serious" composer. Even then, he had a great love for Medieval and Renaissance music. We spent a whole semester studying music of this period, which is not standard procedure for a freshman Theory class. He also liked quite a bit of 20th-century music, although as far as I know, he never got much into the avant-garde in his own music. We spent a whole semester on that my sophomore year. He was rather enthusiatic about Charles Ives.

That left two semesters to study common-practice period harmony. That is enough, in my opinion. I am truly grateful for the attention he gave to the Medieval and Renaissance masters.