Sprinkling Rite Music? - looking for dignified congregational settings in English
  • Hello all - I'm looking for settings of the texts set out by the Missal for the Sprinkling rite, preferably in English with Congregational antiphon (or hymn setting)

It could be the Eastertide "I Saw Water Flowing from the Temple . . ."

Or of the non-Eastertide - "I will pour clean water upon you" Ez 36: 25-26

Or - the Peter canticle " Blessed the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who in His great mercy has given us new birth . .." 1 Pt 1 3:5

Thanks, K
  • This is my setting of the Eastertide refrain, recently included in the St. Michael Hymnal. Of course, now they've changed the text on me...
    Thanked by 2regissør CHGiffen
  • Heath
    Richard, we used your setting at the Easter Vigil last year, and it worked perfectly! We did it SATB without the congregation . . .
  • Thanks, Heath. Here is a recent setting of the new Missal text for option 1 outside Easter time. A verse, if needed, could be chanted on simple (Office) Tone I:
    Have mercy on me, O God, | in your goodness;
    in the greatness of your compassion | wipe out my offense.
  • If pressed, this is how I might revise my Eastertide setting to conform to the new text. A new setting would probably be better (if you like this sort of thing at all).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • redsox1
    Leo Nestor "I Saw Water"-I had it in its manuscript form, it is now published by GIA in both Worship IV and as an octavo.
  • Here are two antiphons that I have centonized for the Rite of Sprinkling. I have employed the new ICEL text.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • I love the text from 1 Peter you included above!

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
    to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you
    who by the power of God are safeguarded through faith, to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time."

I have not seen it associated with the sprinkling rite before. Where did you find it?
  • I would like to add that I am interested in the 1 Peter text also because it is LONG. I have found that "Springs of Water" falls shorter than the sprinkling rite, especially when working with a very large congregation.

What is the appropriate thing to do when the Sprinkling rite music falls short of the end of the rite (by a lot)? Do you repeat the sprinkling rite music, fill with organ improvisation, or observe silence? I have always been told to repeat, but the result sounds forced to me.
  • Re: Lengthening music used during the sprinkling rite.

Verses of Psalm 51 can be sung with Asperges me. Verses of Psalm 118 can be sung with Vidi aquam and other antiphons appointed for use in Eastertide.

Re: Source of Blessed be the God and Father...
    This antiphon appeared in the 1975 (Latin) Missale romanum
  • "Sprinkling Rite". Ugh. It's called the Asperges.

That aside, why not use the Latin, to the commonly used melody, which is EASILY sung by congregations. One need not be an Anglican to sing it.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Here, then, is a first try at setting the Hymn text from 1 Peter, adapting a standard Mode VII antiphon tune.
  • Hello Bruce and Leo N. and Richard and everyone else - thank you so much - i'm currently at my home in Italy for a few days (le Marche) and am just looking at these now - they are very helpful.

My godfather, who worked at a very major east coast seminary in the 70's (somewhere south of new england) recounted to me an old story that when V-II was first being implemented the translation 'sprinkle me'- at best came across un-poetic, at worst generated a lot of snickers (i know, i know, underlying problem of dignity and education, etc.) and it thus was dropped early on when the changes were under way - has anybody else heard this story? In fact I didn't see these words in the new Missal appendix - am I correct that they are not there?

Thank you again - there are really some great people and great artists on here - Kevin
  • RobertRobert
    There are the ICEL settings of the Vidi Aquam in English:

http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=BaptismalWater11accomp.pdf

and a congregational refrain ("Springs of water"):

http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=BaptismalWater6Accomp.pdf
  • Thanks Robert - those look great - so it seems that a psalm setting in the same mode can be weaved in between these as with the other propers, because they are a little short for what we're doing.

To all - please scratch the last message, I see that the direct translation of asperges still exists, I'm doing these email while on a train to Milan - well, I like very, very much the new translation - I guess I've found for me the first thing that squeaks a little - I'm so appreciative of all the help that's been offered - Kevin
  • Hi All - I've just sung through them and think I may use the Richard Rice setter of 1 Pt 1:3-5 - Richard I'll contact you to see how I can get permission - it's really lovely - thanks, K
  • Heath
    Friends, I'm bumping this old thread...I've been asked for a sprinkling rite outside of Easter and I'd love to hear if you know of any dignified settings to be used with a congregation. The last update to this thread was 11 years ago, so I suspect we'll have some more suggestions! :)

Another (even older) thread on this topic is here: https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/2959/music-for-sprinkling-rite/p1

Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Perhaps it's annoying for me to suggest it, but just sing the Asperges! It's easily sung, and through repetition also easily committed to memory.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Even easier to memorise if you use the first millennium version given in GS on p449, in LU as ad lib. 1 on p12, or in GR(1974) on p708 as version II. This annoys the rigid backwardists who think that what was done a hundred years ago was traditional.
  • Peter Latona has a new setting of the Vidi Aquam published by MorningStar. I'm planning to use it next Easter.
  • Heath
    To clarify what I'm looking for:

-Outside of Easter Time (no Vidi Aquam)
    -English
    -Congregational

...and I'll add:

-learnable upon one hearing (this is for a special, one-time occasion)
    Thanked by 2Liam CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Something closer to #307 in Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles (T. Marier)?

Thanked by 1Heath
  • Here’s one of my settings (the antiphon—Meinrad for the verses):

Click here
    Thanked by 2Heath Caleferink
  • If you are looking for something that is mainstream, with some traditional influences, I recommend Fr. Rick Manalo's "Asperges Me" or Vidi Aquam." Here are some links:

- Vidi Aquam: https://youtu.be/ZOeD_Ookk2g?si=6UAeKdePNjMdiI4o
    - Vidi Aquam Score: https://youtu.be/g8rgA_l-Vko?si=t3QBbecR5jgEy7eG
    - Asperges Me: https://youtu.be/8yvdOkkTzbU?si=hJhvKyVHIkoDiF4X

The Vidi Aquam had the congregation singing on the first time. The Alleluia refrain is familiar for some reason.

The traditional Vidi Aquam chant is quite lovely.

There are many undignified settings where the words are all over the place and melodies are crazy. Here's a list of many versions (some good, most bad) if you are curious: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc2CxOezTWvfKEu9gS-wrCI7QE4idMFMv&si=4qHbFYjat7YEB05e.
    Thanked by 1Heath