A first for MusicaSacra!
  • BruceL
    Some of you may have noticed that the Marquette job was posted by the bishop himself, or at least under his name.

A cursory look at YouTube shows this bishop is an excellent chanter! Surely a great job for someone! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDqaTfyhseA

Also, some of you will recognize the cathedral's vicar, Fr. Ryan Ford, from Colloquium.
  • This position in Marquette will be an unbelievably fantastic opportunity for someone. That Bp. Sample himself posted this position has to say something – And I know that the renewal of sacred music and the liturgy are a top priority for him. The person who receives this opportunity will have an extraordinarily unique experience. Bp. Sample has a very enterprising and forward-thinking vision here. A fantastic opportunity for someone in the sacred music community!
  • Almost makes me wish that I lived in upper Michigan, or at least close enough to commute! :)
  • What they are doing and are about to mandate up there gives the rest of us a glimpse of hope for the future.
  • GavinGavin
    Makes me wish I had started my Master's sooner! Still, whomever gets it really has their work cut out for them, given the history of the diocese!!
  • marajoymarajoy
    But then again, who wants to live all the way up there... ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    The one or two, at most, snows we have in East Tennessee each year, leave me cussin' and fussin' about the wretched weather. I could not take that Yankee weather in the winter. Otherwise, it sounds like a dream job.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • TCJ
    I've heard nothing but good things about Bishop Sample. I think it's a job that a good share of us would probably like to have.
  • BenBen
    Wow, I just watched the video. A bishop personally leading morning prayer during the triduum. I love it.
  • redsox1
    Beautifully done. What's the instrument up there?
  • john m
    The organ is a three-manual of 30 ranks, built in 2003 by James Lauck/Lauck Organ Co. of Otsego, MI. A very nice instrument in a warm acoustic.
  • What a spectacular opportunity...and what a wonderful sign that either His Excellency, or someone in his name, posted this position himself. Either way, it is clear that the bishop will be very, very active in the decision making, if not making the decision himself. That says a lot for his regard for sacred music. An excellent sign, indeed.

If you read these posts, Excellency, thank you. It's amazing what a small gesture like this means to those of us in this vocation.
  • GavinGavin
    Shouldn't the Rector of the Cathedral be the one to make hiring decisions? I applied for a Cathedral position a few years ago, and only interacted with the Rector.
  • Snow??!!!
    Why, the snow would be the icing on the cake!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Gavin Ben
  • BenBen
    @Gavin,

The rector may in some cases handle those decisions, but since the primary purpose of the rector is to handle the normal "pastor duties" at the Cathedral when the bishop can't (such as celebrating daily Masses, baptisms, leading minor staff meetings, hearing confessions, etc...), his role, in large part, is often up to the bishop.
  • WendiWendi
    In the area of sacred music the good Bishop is very hands on. Local scuttlebutt says that he's handling the hiring personally. It's not just the cathedral he wants to reform, but the entire diocese of Marquette, which I believe takes up the entire Upper Peninsula...an area that is heavily Catholic.

Also FYI...this job posting does not appear on NPM...or at least it didn't when I checked a couple of minutes ago. That in and of itself speaks volumes about what kind of sacred musician the good Bishop is seeking, although it could just be that it hasn't been listed yet.

My husband and I are seriously considering moving up there...Northern has a good music department, and I'm fairly certain there would be opportunities to serve the church when I'm finished with school.

Although the snow is measured in feet, not inches...it truly is God's country up there.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Gavin...Ben is correct, but I suspect the reason the bishop is so involved is this position also seems to double as Diocesan Director of Music. If it were just the music director at the Cathedral, he may have left it to the rector.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    + Sample proves that the cantor doesn't need to wave his arms about!
  • marajoymarajoy
    For anyone who is interested, the bishop recently sent a letter:

I am very pleased to announce that we have hired Mr. Nathan J. Knutson to serve as Diocesan and Cathedral Director of Sacred Music. Mr. Knutson comes to us from the Diocese of Sioux Falls, SD, where he currently serves as the Director of the Office of Worship for the Diocese of Sioux Falls. He has extensive experience in the sacred liturgy and sacred music in particular.

This will be a full time position shared between the diocese and St. Peter Cathedral. He will direct the program at the Cathedral, helping the Cathedral church model the best in sacred music for the rest of the diocese. His responsibility on the diocesan level will be to lead the effort to renew and reform the music for the sacred liturgy according to the reforms called for by the Second Vatican Council, official liturgical documents, the liturgical books and the directives outlined by me as the diocesan bishop.

The starting date for Mr. Knutson is February 18, 2013. He will maintain office space at the Cathedral and here at the diocesan offices.

We welcome Mr. Knutson, his wife Lisa (who is also an accomplished organist and choir director) and their three daughters to the Diocese of Marquette.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen donr
  • Nathan is a good personal friend of mine here in Sioux Falls. I will miss him and his family! They are good-natured, loving, zealous for the Truth and for souls, and extremely talented. How we let him get away is extremely frustrating, but I know he will enact much positive change and growth in his new position.

I'm very sorry to see him leave, but happy for the Catholic Church! :)
    Thanked by 1Kathy