Marian Votive Mass Ordinary Form
  • Hey guys I need some help...I am choosing the music/cantoring for a Marian Votive Mass on October 13 in the Ordinary Form...I haven't had much experience with the OF in YEARS so I'm not too up on what I can and can't do. Off the top of my head I want to know:

1. Can I have the Introit sung and then have a Processional Hymn...
    2. Where do I get the psalm from...if I don't like the available music for it, can I write my own?
    3. Where can I find notation for the priest to sing the Gospel?
    4. Is it illicit to do a trilingual (i know i know lol...my point is to include the latin) response to the prayers of the faithful...
    5. Can the offertory verse be sung? if so where do i find it?
    THANKS!
  • BenBen
    1) Yes, although I'd do hymn than introit. Since the introit is the beginning of Mass, it makes sense to have the hymn before the introit, and therefore, before Mass.
    2) There is no official Music for the responsorial psalm. You can use whatever music you'd like.
    3) An explination of the gospel tones can be found here. You'd need to notate it yourself, there's no resource of notated gospels that I know of. solemn tone | simple tone
    4) Yes
    5) yes, you would find it in the graduale Romanum (as you would with the introit and communion too). Perhaps someone with a copy handy might be able to post the incipits and you might be able to find the same chants in your Liber.
  • can you elaborate on number 4 please??? thanks for the help!
  • BenBen
    Well, for better or for worse, you can do almost anything you want for the universal prayer (formerly, the prayers of the faithful). It's really that simple. :)
  • ohh thats totally cool lol...i asked if it was ILLICIT and understood you to say YES...so i'll go forward now with the trilingual response given your clarification...I am having difficulty locating the propers...can you please send me a resource where I can find the introit, psalm, alleluia, and communion propers? thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    The Missal gives only very general guidance about the Prayer of the Faithful: see GIRM paragraphs 69-71.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, Ben, I echo Chonak's concerns. The UP inexplicably remains a "bone of contention" for some of us ritually. To muck with it with tri-lingual this, or multi-cultural that, only makes its stability less certain. If it must be cross-cultural, verses in this lingua franca, ENGLISH, and response in either of these lingua franca's, "Ora pro nobis" or "Kyrie eleison." Other than that it makes the prayer a Babelonian pig slop.

MK
    1. if it's expeditius not to create a fake Siamese twin with Introit/Entrance hymn, employ the Introit as a pre-Mass "call to worship." You're on safer ground then if FACP sheep attack afterwards.
    2. If the congregation singing is the main objective, get an OCP Respond and Acclaim, bite the bullet and have the psalmist keep the verse texts moving.
    3. Did the celebrant ask you to supply his need? I intuit this is a parish here cantillating scripture is not normative.
    4. see above
    5. and (from Ben) Gregorian Missal, Simple English Propers, By Flowing Waters
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I wasn't expressing any concerns. As far as I can tell, a multi-lingual response is perfectly legit under current prescriptions.

As a matter of opinion, I'd like to see the Universal Prayer in the form of a sung litany of fixed length as in the Byzantine rite; and if the text can be stable (or mostly so), all the better.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gee whiz, regrets that I thought you were upholding the prescriptive construct of the UP. No harm, no foul. As abhorent as some "politicized, homegrown" intentions can intrude, so can events like 9/11 intrude upon our fixed sensibilities. In all things, charity.
  • BenBen
    I've found the intentions in the back of the missal to be quite helpful. Whenever I have the choice, I always use them, and rarely add to them. Here's a pdf I have of them, I also have a PDF of all of them set to music.

edit: ugh. The pdf attaching is not working. I'll upload them to my FTP, and post the link shortly.

From the back of the missal

The Missal intentions set to music
  • thanks for all the help guys...but unless im missing something i dont think anyone has pointed me to where i can find the propers for the marian votive Mass online and ready to go...running out of time..help would be much appreciated!
  • Protasius
    The first Common of the BMV which may be used as a Votive Mass on Saturday is (judging from the introit and communion, which are the only propers I saw in the missal) the same as the Commune Festorum B. M. V. mass Salve sancta parens, that is to be found in the Commune section of any EF Gradual.
  • thanks! do you know where i can find them in english and set to music??