On the difference between Praise Choruses and Hymns...
  • Chrism
    For discussion.
    509 x 720 - 124K
  • CharlesW
    I like this.
  • francis
    here's the way i define the dif

hymn: artful text expressing deep theology set to excellent music in four parts (SATB). Comparitive to an excellent wine or a fine diamond. Timeless.

praise chorus: superfluous text set to trite melody with accompaniment of a few chords (usually for rhythmic strumming on a guitar). Comparative to a Coke or a plastic WWJD wristband. Temporal.
    Thanked by 2Ben E_A_Fulhorst
  • DougS
    What struck me is that both parties thought their respective worship styles were normative.
    Thanked by 3Chrism Spriggo Gavin
  • francis
    praise choruses are not normative to the liturgy. i do them even now. last sunday i did "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High". therfore what i offer comes from many years of knowledge AND experience in the practice.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • GavinGavin
    What are propers? If I wanted to tell you the cows were in the field, I would say, "the cows are in the field." But if I used propers, I would sing:

Vaccae * sunt in agro : usque in agris triticum. (t.p. Alleluia.)
    Ps. Attendite popule meus legem meam: inclinate aurem vestram in verba oris mei.
    Vaccae sunt...
    Thanked by 3Chrism Ben E_A_Fulhorst
  • Key changes in hymns? I never do that! I change the registration though.
  • chonakchonak
    Good idea, Gavin. I think the word order could also work to make a clear parallelism: e.g., In agro * stant vaccae, et in agris triticum.
    Or of course you could put both subjects first.
    Presumably the melody would have to run low (sic) for the cows and high for the corn.

:-)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What are the Simple English Propers?
    If I wanted to tell you the cows are in the field, I would say, "The cows are in the field."
    But if I was using the SEP, I would say:
    The cows are in the field.
    Thanked by 1Chrism