Great Mass Setting for Choirs - PDF's HERE!!!
  • This is a really neat Mass setting (originally a Communion Service) by George Oldroyd, one of my favorite gems of Britain. This composition has a very chant-ish mystical feel to it, without being chant persay. Perhaps you are familiar with one of his other Communion services, the 'Quiet Hour' Mass, which can be found in the 1940 Episcopal Hymnal. I only know of this one from my home parish's original music director, Bruce Larsen (+1996), who set it to the Catholic Mass' text. It was one of my favorite pieces to sing as a boy soprano back in the day... I have put it together now for the revised translation of the Mass in the hopes that some (perhaps your choir) may sing it as an unaccompanied Mass ordinary.

A NOTE here: I have only finished the Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei (all in English) and am now working on the Gloria. The Gloria isn't what I would say is 'essential' for the musical development of this work. In other words, you could definitely use this in the Advent and Lenten seasons when a 'Gloria' is not sung.

Let me know if you use it; I'd love to hear how it works for you.
    God bless you!

Jacob

P.S. I remember in 6th grade asking my choir director if Oldroyd didn't take his 'Sanctus' theme from 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. See if you make that connection! :)
  • Jacob,

Is this Bruce Larsen of St. Paul's Church of the Holy Childhood fame?

Kevin Vogt
  • Is there an electronic score of the original BCP-text setting?
  • This lovely work was copyright 1924, which makes it PD in the US but it may well be copyright still for many years to come in the UK and other countries. Excellent choice, JIF, thanks for your hard work!

• Kevin,
    Yes. I only sang under his direction once or twice when he filled in for Stephen Schmall, the succeeding director, (Bruce was director emeritus at that point), but I met him and helped organize his extensive collection of compositions and arrangements after he passed in 1996.

Daniel,
    I'm sorry - I can't tell you. I was working off of the fore-mentioned Bruce's half-typed, half-handwritten score. The Sanctus was the most changed from Oldroyd's original, due to the textual differences between the Anglican and Catholic Ordinary prayer.

Frogman,
    Happy to do it. I sang it in 6th grade and got goosebumps and that's how my director knew I wasn't going to be taking the same path some of my rowdy and very disinterested classmates would.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I guess there might be a question as to the copyright status, since the work derives from the arrangement by Bruce Larsen in 1969 (+1996). Has permission been obtained for the present arrangement?
  • CHGiffen,

This work was never published or 'copyright-ed', as is the case with most of Bruce's work. I have first-hand knowledge of this, as I sorted through rooms full of his discoveries, arrangements and compositions after he passed. A fair question, though...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for the explanation. It is important to know, however, that copyright for such a work exists, irrespective of whether a copyright has been registered or even if the work bears a copyright notice. Formal copyright registration is no longer required. It is therefore considered good practice to obtain written permission from the copyright holder(s), which in this case would be the heir(s), and attach a note of the "used by permission" type.

When a work is deemed to be of significant value by its author, it is not uncommon practice simply to place a copy in a sealed envelope and mail it to oneself via registered mail and, most important, leave the envelope unopened, placed in some secure place. Then, in the event of a suspected infringement of ones rights, the copyright holder need only give the registered sealed envelope to his/her lawyer, in order to establish priority.
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze marymezzo
  • CHGiffen,

Not to be argumentative but seeking knowledge on this topic:

Mr. Larsen was never married and never had children. What then would happen? The woman who ran his estate after he passed is well known to me and has never blinked an eye about me using his other un-copyrighted pieces.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sounds as if you're all set then. I'm just used to being hyper-careful. :)