• WJA
    So the priest says to me, "Is there any chance the introit could be sung in a way that we could all join it? They do it beautifully all the time in the [local religious order's house] and I love it."

Inside my head: But the introit is best sung by the choir, and at the [local religious order's house] they sing together all the time, and we'll be limited to using simple forms of the propers, and does this mean we won't ever sing Gregorian propers, and the people can still actively participate by listening to the choir sing the introit beautifully...

Inside my head one nanosecond later: A priest wants to sing the propers! Cool! Roll with it, baby!

My answer: "Father, it's worth a try. Let's see what happens."

It's a very exciting time to be alive doing sacred music.
  • WJA
    This job calls for the Simple English Psalm Tones, just a click away, in all its simple-psalm-tonish glory, typeset and freely available!

Did I mention it's a very exciting time to be alive doing sacred music?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I've heard that the old bartender's motto is, "Better a good drink served in the wrong glass than a bad drink in the right one." That is, I'd rather hear a congregation attempt to croak out a good introit than hear the Three Tenors in the loft singing "Here in this place." :)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    "A priest wants to sing the propers! Cool! Roll with it, baby!"

That's my reaction.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>a good drink served in the wrong glass

Sometimes this is even preferable.

Off topic: A Sam Adams beer glass is the absolute best vehicle for my favorite beverage, Rum and Diet Coke.

(Those of you who preferred more high-falutin' spirits... I will not be judged by you.)
  • francis
    adam

we dont judge a person by the drink he prefers

we judge the content simply on its own merit

but when you ATTACH YOURSELF to content that is familiar to all, you have rendered a judgement about yourself. yes?
  • kevinfkevinf
    A Woodford reserve and Coke ( or mint julep) or anything with Woodford. Hey, I live in Ky.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I discovered Woodford about a year ago. Can't be beat for price/quality. It's one of the few spirits I take neat. The other being Laphroig scotch.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • marajoymarajoy
    Oh, this thread is making me think, "It's 5 o'clock on Friday!" And yet... I have to go and teach some piano students in a bit... :-(

I'd go with a glass of pinot noir.
    Or maybe a Manhattan.
    Or a beefeater gin & tonic with lime... mmm...