Solo after Communion
  • Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have read through some of the threads with interest, though am intimidated by the caliber of musicians that are here. I'm just a guy who has been working on his voice and wants to sing in church.

I've been taking voice lessons for many years, never doing anything beyond that because I haven't felt ready or good enough to sing in public. But lately I've been seeing improvements and feel that although I'm not where I want to ultimately be, that I could sing a solo and not embarrass myself, and possibly go beyond that and move the listener.

I don't aspire to be in a band or sing on stage--I mainly want to sing in church. My goal had been to one day be competent enough to sing a solo after Communion, and I feel that I am at that point now and have been working hard on some songs. But after reading a thread here, and I don't remember the title or where it is, apparently there is no provision for a song to be sung by a soloist after communion--it must be the cantor WITH the congregation, the choir, or the choir with the congregation, as I understand it. I don't see any way to read the rules that would allow for a soloist.

So I've got some songs that I've been working on and wanted to sing (as a soloist) after Communion, but now I feel as though I'm all dressed up with no place to go. It seems that it's liturgically improper for a soloist to sing a hymn after Communion. But are there any exceptions or ways around this? (Note this is something I wanted to do on occasion--a few times a year--not on a regular basis).
  • As a choir member and cantor I help in two parishes in my diocese. I have found that the best time for solo's is before mass or possibly at offertory. There are hymns that are written for cantor... that is the cantor sings the verses and the congregation only sings the refrain. So you end up singing solo anyway for the most part. I think it really depends on what your Bishop has instructed for music during the mass. If you want to sing solo though, find a parish that doesn't have any choir members or cantor and sing solo to your hearts content :)
  • **Disclaimer** This is not directed to anybody in particular.......

Too many times those of us in DM positions run into people who want to use the church as a forum for their pent up frustrations in not being able to sing anywhere else. As a result, we have become "performance based" and not "worship based". It seems to be an ongoing problem in the church, not only with singers, but also with musicians. In my parish, for instance, the first thing my predecessor did was make a CD of the music ministry. It started out as a fund-raiser, but many egos were damaged and it became a nightmare. Musicians were not included, singers were not included, etc. I promised myself when I took over that the music would NEVER go in that direction, and it has not. But, I have had to pay the consequences with many people leaving the choir or coming and going at will.

As far as solos are concerned I think they should be discouraged in the liturgy. If a singer has a God-given talent and feels a strong need to serve, then there are plenty of opportunities during the year to embrace that (cantatas for Christmas, preludes to weddings, etc.).

Anyway, that's just my little humble bit of comment.
    Thanked by 2Paul F. Ford Salieri
  • Thank you Don and MusicTeacher for your responses. I have some followup comments and questions, but will wait to see if there are more responses first.

As a side question--would Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone (as a solo or by the entire choir) be appropriate as an after-Communion song? I showed it to someone at my church who has some say regarding the liturgy and she seemed to have some reservations about it.
  • chonakchonak
    "My Chains Are Gone" is a Christian pop song sung by Chris Tomlin.

---

The 1958 document "On Sacred Music and Sacred Liturgy" mentions this type of song:

54. The type of music which inspires its hearers with religious sentiments, and even devotion, and yet, because of its special character cannot be used in liturgical functions, is nevertheless worthy of high esteem, and ought to be cultivated in its proper time. This music justly merits, therefore, the title "religious music".

55. The proper places for the performance of such music are concert halls, theaters, or auditoriums, but not the church, which is consecrated to the worship of God.

---

You may wonder: what about this song makes it inappropriate when some other songs (hymns) are often sung at Mass?

I would note a few points:

(1) Pop songs, even religious pop songs, are simply not designed to be performed in the Catholic Mass, which is addressed to God. They're designed for concert performance and addressed to the audience.

(2) The song expresses an individual's private conversion experience, based on repentance and forgiveness; this seems to be linked to a Protestant theology which places the individual's private conversion experience at the center of Christian life and does not look to the sacraments or the Church as the means of receiving grace.

---

So this song can be suitable for listening in the car or at home perhaps a concert or maybe a youth rally, but not during the liturgy.

By the way, if you are not currently in a community choir, I would urge you to find and join one. They usually start at this time of the year. They often perform classical sacred music -- more often than it's heard in churches -- and it will be good for your development as a performer.
  • chonak,

Thanks for your response and advice.

I understand what' you're saying regarding the above song, however we already have "amazing grace" as an approved hymn in our hymnals, in spite of it being based on a private conversion experience, so is the addition of the refrain enough to make it unworthy for Mass?

• To get back to the main question:

1) Is there any time when there is a choir present that a solo could be sung after Communion? Is there any wiggle room at all in the GIRM for that?

2) What is a song that is sung before Mass called, and is there more leeway there regarding solos and song choices?

3) If you feel you're pushing the envelope, is it better to ask permission and risk a denial, or go ahead and possibly risk having to beg for forgiveness?

• A good occasion for solos are devotions. Occasionally in my parish there is such a Kirchenmusikalische Andacht, and these are the times when my organ teacher takes out the long organ pieces that don't fit before or after mass and when she accompanies a friend of her singing alto.

PS: Kirchenmusikalisch is the adjective to Kirchenmusik = church music; I couldn't find a suitable word to translate it satisfactorily.
  • Music is there to support the liturgy, not to overshadow it. I have found that too many youth masses in particular have turned into some sort of pseudo christian concert for those who either wouldn't or couldn't make it as a musician anywhere else.
  • CharlesW
    I think too much is being made of this. Yes, a solo would be acceptable after communion if it is suitable in tone for the time in the liturgy, and is eucharistic in theme. I had a cantor sing the Mozart "Ave Verum" this a.m. at a non-choir mass. Beats singing verse after verse of a communion hymn.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>turned into some sort of pseudo christian concert

Does "pseudo" modify "Christian" or "Christian Concert?"
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • marajoymarajoy
    lacrimosa, Re: your questions:

1. I don't see much wiggle room in the GIRM (after communion... "if desired, a Psalm or canticle of praise or hymn may be sung by the whole congregation.") for anything besides congregational singing. Does that mean that I personally have NEVER had the choir sing a choral piece after communion? No. (In fact, I do a solo Ave Maria "after communion" at pretty much every wedding!)

2. I would call it a prelude. Someone else can feel free to correct me, but I don't think that there is much or even any formal requirements as to what that would entail, other than sacred music (and common sense.)

3. From whom would you ask permission? I doubt your bishop or even priest would care, and I would be surprised if they were even aware of the relevant GIRM passages!

It comes down to how legalistic you feel you must be, once you try and understand the reasons for why the GIRM gives these directives. Yes, many liturgical atrocities have been committed by people who thought they were "just" bending the rules, but like I've already said, I do push the envelope on this particular directive, and I personally don't think that's a big deal, especially as long as it's the exception, not the rule.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • "pseudo christian concert" Pseudo modifies christian concert

If I wanted it to modify christian, I would have written "Pseudo-Christian concert"

It is amazing how what we would take for granted in spoken conversation can easily be ambiguous when written down.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>easily be ambiguous

or oddly revealing

I find many of these things to be both pseudo-christian AND pseudo-concert.
    Also, pseudo-music.
  • donr
    My brother has always told me to sing solo...So Low that no one can hear me.
  • One could say (and have) that those of us who chant the Communion Proper every Sunday... are singing a "solo". Just sayin...
  • chonakchonak
    It might help to get some more background.

What sort of music does the parish use: e.g., what hymnal do they have? What Mass setting do they sing? If they sing hymns or songs, are they mostly post-1970 or mostly pre-1950? What's a typical Sunday music list?

Also, what sort of relationship does lacrimosa want to have with the parish? Does he want to join the choir and be there weekly? Would he be willing to wait until the music director assigns him something to perform? Does the parish already have cantors/soloists, for example, presenting the Responsorial Psalm?
  • chonakchonak
    And to clarify what the CMAA (musicasacra.com) is about, see this video from our annual colloquium:
    http://vimeo.com/m/8941838
  • francis
    WeisOrganista:

You are singing 'en solo' not 'A Solo'.

Two completely different things. One is when you sing the propers at Mass as a single vocalist. I do that regularly. The other is singing a piece of music by yourself that isn't particularly appropriate to the liturgy. subtle, but very different distinction.
    Thanked by 1WiesOrganista
  • Lacrimosa:

I got beat up before you so you can benefit from my experience.

There are three places that solos seem to be needed: at weddings, at funerals, and during choir breaks (between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday and in July and August.) For weddings and funerals, you are restricted by what the families want and the Church allows. I forgot: I have an excellent list of solos that the parish where my father was buried handed out. It's about 16 songs and they say that's pretty much it. So those two times are really for singers, not composers.

As for choir breaks, then the music needs to conform as much as possible to liturgical norms. In the Archdiocese of Washington, where the directive clearly consists of "follow the rules but make sure there are no calls to Hyattsville (MD, where the curia is)," the open times during the offertory are almost always filled by the organist, even though instrumental music is left out of the norms and so technically in the same area as vocal solos. A well trained instrumentalist can improvise and end right when the priest wants to start up again. The exception to that rule seems to be the African-American congregations, but I suspect you don't write that kind of music. (Which I happen to love, having grown up Baptist.)

That leaves post-Communion or pre-bell. While some people on this list have a straw man arguing style, so that automatically say that you must be talking about Lifeteen lousy-pop, the reality is whether or not it is appropriate depends entirely on what you have written. Someone suggested (on the thread I started) sticking with hymns, but done in a restrained style. My own favorite is Peace Like A River (It is Well With My Soul), perhaps the first truly great song written by an American. Guitar pop--I kind of doubt it is appropriate. A certain style of Celtic derived folk song--it is very easy to see how that could be done right.

And it all depends on the Music Director. I'll bet most don't want frustrated Dylans. Develop your relationship with the MD's, do what they want, have your stuff up on YouTube and available for him or her to look at. Immerse yourself in everything on the web about Sacred Music and see if you can write like that.

But, yes, also, there is a crying need for something other than chirpy-twerpy Christian pop at youth ministry. Somewhere I unleashed a Jeremiad against that stuff on this list. I used to live (way back) with some of the guys running the "legendary Nightclub 9:30," the punk 9:30 Club. And, boy, does Christian pop stink.

So good luck. Do not let the sarcasm of some discourage you from developing a charism that is valid, just not to their tastes.

By the way, flamers, I just love the logic: I asked what solos are necessary, and many of you said, "THERE NOT LICIT!!!! JUST AT FUNERALS AND WEDDINGS." How about sparing us all the micro-readings of the GIRM and just saying, "Oh, not much--just weddings and funerals, so buy a couple of good anthologies and find out what MD's like." I know it is not as much fun, but that just happens to be the question I asked. I mentioned offertory, but how about, "Oh, no, not offertory, just weddings and funerals." 8 words, no lather.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Among my social circle, "flamer" has a totally other meaning than people who argue about church music online.

Or maybe not, I guess.
    Thanked by 2Gavin JDE
  • francis
    amindthatsuits

We (the flamers?) simply stated facts. I would suggest that you access how you are receiving the information. Could it (by any chance) be that you are the one getting 'hot' under the collar because our informational response goes against the grain of exactly what you want to hear?

Plain truth is, solo pieces are not appropriate to the liturgy. If you want information about the confusion that surrounds this issue, you might want to read this book:

http://www.booksforcatholics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=0814610129&Category_Code=

Once you have read this, you will realize that the battle over those who promote sacred music at the liturgy as opposed to those who promote singing at the liturgy for ego's sake has gone on for centuries. It's right there in black and white.

The battle was eventually reduced to white and black lists, but that became a futile way to deal with the issue because too much subjectivity enters into the subject. One has to go back to the very writings of Pope after Pope (and there are a lot of them to read right there in that book), to really know the heart and mind of the church concerning sacred music.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    francis... I love you like a long-lost brother, but... i don't think that's helping make our new friend Kenneth feel any more welcome.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • CharlesW
    To our new friend. Keep in mind that no one on this forum has any ecclesiastical or legislative authority. Listen to the differing opinions - and that's exactly what they are, opinions - draw your own conclusions and use your best judgement as to what works or doesn't work in your specific situation. Someone who works in a setting where everything is done "by the book" can easily pontificate without understanding what you have to deal with. You know your context better than anyone else.
  • Cute,Adam. I've been in the arts since I was 12 and education since my 30's. The word 'flamer' does seem to catch 'snit' rather well, so we'll just leave it as is.

The point is the rants are beside the point and uncharitable, particularly as none of you has any idea what Lacrimosa's music sounds like. I did indeed find the previous thread abusive and vowed not to participate anymore. I thot Lacrimosa could use a helping hand so I gritted my teeth and jumped in. Nice to have one's judgments confirmed so well, and it is unlikely you will see my name much except to put forth one idea I bounced off a young composer here at CUA.

Lacrimosa, keep your flag flying and listen to the MD's in your diocese.

Kenneth
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Kenneth--

Some of us do have some idea what Lacrimosa's music sounds like.

This isn't about an original song that he composed; it's a known song performed by a Christian pop artist, and a music video for it appears above.
  • Well, then, I just acted the way that drives me crazy on this list---sorry, Lacrimosa.

I didn't look at the video, because I didn't realize that it was the song being talked about. I do tend to skim. I STILL have not listened to it, out of embarrassment now, so I have to qualify my statement about Christian pop to say that if it says "God" or Our Lord's Name, then it moves a lot closer to being acceptable. The use of "you" without a Name attached seems a problem to me. The problem is, I know of almost no examples of CURRENT religious songs that even meet that standard.

So the answer, Lacrimose, is the same as it is for all working musicians and active members of parish: pray, study, practice, and talk to your MD. Of the MD's at congregations I could practically get to on Sunday morning, I have had different kinds of responses. You won't know until you ask.

Kenneth
  • The entire tradition of liturgy in the Catholic (and observant Anglican and Episcopal parishes) is built upon monastic life.

The tradition of monastic life - which would include seminaries - was that everyone sang at the Mass and Liturgy of the Hours. They might sing back and forth between groups on the psalm. They might sing the antiphon and then a smaller group would sing the verses.

The individual voice was heard only when the cantor introduced the chant, singing up to the *. This set the pitch and tempo.

Sure, maybe there were times that a single cantor might sing the verses, but as I recall myself, having spent two summers with the Benedictines in the choir stalls, I never saw that.

The center of attention was the eucharist. People dressed alike, even in the congregation. This all suppressed the individual and emphasized community.

A person might be heard singing chant alone at a parish daily Mass - this was quite common - but never on Sunday. This was for reasons of $. The stipend for a high mass was more than a low mass.

During weddings less than liturgical events - such as leaving flowers at Mary's altar - were accompanied by choir or a soloist singing the Ave Maria. The choir was preferable, but a soloist when that was not possible.

Novenas, which were heard almost nightly, involved singing hymns, also no solos.

Kenneth and Lacrimosa are both familiar with Novus Ordo parishes in which there is little interest in tradition, not so much a fault of the music directors but instead the leadership of the church in the US and other countries. We here may seem like dinosaurs to some but, as a certain movie has proved, there is interest in knowing about and understanding the past.

Kenneth, you were not "beat up", rather you hit the wall in trying to convince us that what you want to do is permissible. People will permit it, though they should not. It becomes a very simple issue. How much do you want to be like the musician that the church has encouraged for centuries - or do you want to go with the flow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim7RtKXv90

• Thank you everyone for your comments. I have some comments and questions to add later, but meanwhile I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47e_i1uFAM&playnext=1&list=PLB2DBBA26601C6908&feature=results_main

This is of Placido Domingo singing a solo at a Papal Mass.

Are there exceptions regarding a Papal Mass?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Are there exceptions regarding a Papal Mass?

Yes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMgUaeejl2Q
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • chonakchonak
    Alas, even some of the people entrusted with arranging the music for Papal Masses don't know what is really suitable. When the Pope is traveling, usually the local bishop has someone select the music.

When the Pope visited the US in 2008, there was quite a bit of talk on this forum about the music at his Washington, DC Mass (including Placido's piece above) and praise for the music at his Mass in New York.

Thanked by 2Ben E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    Indeed. I was just skimming a recording of the Mass this weekend, and even the commentators on EWTN commented how the music at that Mass wasn't really in line with the church's tradition in regards to music.
  • francis
    adam

kisses and hugs to you and charles. kenneth isnt looking for my hugs and kisses though. he is looking for information on what is appropriate for solo singing at the liturgy. i (and select others) are trying to HELP Kenneth understand what the liturgy expects in terms of sacred music. i sing guitar songs at my parish because that is what is expected of me, so i know exactly what Kenneth is hoping to hear. My information is simply informative and nothing more.

perfect vid example of how confusion rattles the doors of the liturgy.
  • CharlesW
    Francis doing guitar songs? Gasp! I need to lie down! This is too much for an old guy!
  • francis
    i play a mean guitar, but that still doesnt change our liturgical ideologies. the only way to rid the liturgy of guitars and egos is to continue to speak the truth and uphold the church's teaching on sacred music, even when we are required to do the opposite
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • CharlesW
    Excuses, excuses. We are on to you Francis. LOL.
  • francis
    melofluent

That is just opera superimposed on the liturgy
  • francis
    charles

uhu, right.
  • CharlesW
    Really, I sympathize. I am glad I don't have to do anything like that.
  • francis
    charles

i am out to win people over so i try not to poopoo them when they go down an alien path... i am a musical missionary of sorts