Music libraries
  • canadashcanadash
    I was curious as to how you set up your music libraries. I don't have much time, and I need some ideas as to how to keep all of my music in order in an accessible way. Thanks.
  • Anthologies
    Advent
    Christmasstide (through Purification)
    Lent
    Passiontide
    Triduum
    Eastertide and Ascension
    Whitsunday
    Trinity
    Corpus Christi
    Solemnities: subdivided by feast (includes Patronal Feast)
    Tempus per annum: subdivided into categories such as prayer, service, worship......

The music within each of the above is arranged alphabetically by composer.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • GavinGavin
    I have a 2-drawer filing cabinet. Top drawer is alphabetical by composer, bottom is collections, alphabetical by title. In between them are my altered harmony books.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    For the main choir, I have a small file cabinet in which one drawer is for Mass settings. All the other pieces are simply in alphabetical order by title in a large horizontal file cabinet.

I was trying, unsuccessfully, all sorts of fancy things, until I thought, you know what, all I need to be able to do is find the music.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • GavinGavin
    I was unclear as to whether this is for personal or church; organ or choral. I was referring to my own organ music.

For church, I've usually had a cataloged system, with music simply put away in order of first-purchased to most recent.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    For church, I've usually had a cataloged system, with music simply put away in order of first-purchased to most recent.

Yes, this works best if you keep the items in numbered folders or boxes and have a cross-referenced list (spreadsheet or database) between titles, composers, and each numbered folder or box.
  • GavinGavin
    Yes, that's what my last church had, namely in several binder indexes. I would have preferred moving to a database, but that would have been a large project.
  • Ally
    For choral music, have a couple of horizontal file cabinets, organized alphabetically by title. It was already like that, so I'm not going to go reorganizing, but I will be updating the simple database to include season/feast/purpose. This is fairly straightforward and works pretty well.
  • CharlesW
    Alphabetical by title works most of the time. Around Christmas and Easter, the system is pile A, pile B, and so forth. Don't forget misc.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have a filing cabinet for works with multiple copies (stuff we've done), arracnged alphabetically by title. This excludes Christmas music and Mass ordinaries.
    A second cabinet has single copies (stuff I've gotten from being in other choirs, perusal scores, free samples from workshops).

Then there is a section for Mass Ordinaries (not terribly organized, since I don't have that many) and Christmas music (alpha by title).

Bound collections are on a bookshelf. Hymnals are on a bookshelf.

I also have a red folder at the very back of one of my cabinets. It is for keeping single copies of anything I have inherited or been given that I find to be... well, worthy of being hidden away in a special folder at the back of the cabinet.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Previous church had typical tall filing cabinet, basically organized alphabetically.
    Next church (I was only temporarily there for a few months) had bookshelf-type things on the walls, and it was arranged by Mass/season then alphabetically. I found that confusing when trying to find a piece, but I definitely see advantages and disadvantages to both systems.
    Current church has an 80+year old dusty, dirty, somewhat-alphabetized, photocopied mess, lol!
  • aldrich
    Compendious books are very hard to come by; that's why I make it a point to make my own books. With this, it's much more easier for me to gather necessary music for the same season. And since I control the layout, they are all of the same size, and don't look jagged when filed.
  • What library ? LOL
  • canadashcanadash
    I was thinking about my own music. I wanted some ideas on how to organize it so my questions to myself aren't always: "Where is that?" "Where did I file that".... For the choir's music, I have everything in Magazine holders on bookshelves in alphabetical order, but it's a nuisance to have to rifle through all of that all the time.

MJO: That was a very helpful list.
  • We have two filing cabinets of masses (and really need a third to start on). These are by composer, with the anonymous ones at the beginning, and individual mass parts not part of cyclical masses preceding those under Kyrie, Gloria, etc.

The motets are arranged differently in four filing cabinets, but they are by the first word of the text. Since we sing the Tridentine mass the composer is not really important but the text is, and we have found that this works best. There is a drawer and a half of extra chant pieces (i.e. things that are either not in everybody's Liber or that have been collected on sheets so people aren't flipping around and wasting time during the mass or office). For example, the propers for yesterday would be found in the same order as in the Liber (temporale, 16th Sunday after Pentecost), but the sheets have the Gradual printed on them in the right order for ease of use (in the Liber you have to go back and find Timebunt gentes somewhere else). There are some oversize things that can fit lengthwise in a drawer.

(BTW, I also keep one copy of everything at home so I can make more copies/check on music and do some groundwork without traveling to the church/advise people over the phone, etc.)

Keeping this all under control is quite a job, and I have a computer list, but updating it is a mess unless you really keep on it, and everything is filed immediately after use so that you can "read" the drawers like they read bookshelves in a library.

The best thing is having things alphabetized by composer (for masses) or text (for motets) so you can at least go there and find something.

Thanked by 1canadash
  • marajoymarajoy
    Oh... MY library? Hmm... I guess you could call it a couple large stacks of books and papers on the bookshelf. :-(
    If a piece is just a few sheets of paper and is *lucky*, then it might get thrown into a folder labeled "choir music" or "organ music" haha
  • canadashcanadash
    Yes Mara, that is similar to what I have, but perhaps a little more organized. I need to get on top of this, in my "spare" time.
  • marajoymarajoy
    For organ music or choir music?
    My college teacher recommended this system that sounds GREAT in idea (although it would take committment to do!)
    When you have an organ piece, punch holes in it with one of those special machines and use binding combs, and put a piece of cardstock on the front or back (so it's like a little book,) and he also suggested writing how long the piece takes to play for future reference. By putting it together like a book, the pages will stay together and be quickly accessible, and then when it's sitting on the organ and a draft comes through they won't fly everywhere, and it's just nice to know for future reference the length of the piece.
    Thanked by 2Ally canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One of the simplest and most clever things I've seen from an avoiding-page-turning perspective was at the CMAA chant workshop in Houston. The organist at the co-Cathedral used a giant spiral bound sketchpad into which she was able to tape 4 pages of music onto each page. This gave her a spread of 8 pages without a page turn, and kept loose-leaves from flying off the music stand.
    Thanked by 2Ally canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Organ music? I WISH! I am one of the saddest organists around...

I need to organize my choir music. I have it in alphabetical order. This is not working for me.
  • CharlesW
    Hmmm. I need to look for one of those sketchpads! Hadn't thought of that. Eight pages would cover most compositions, and reducing the size of the pages would allow pasting in a couple more pages. Good idea!