Roi d'Orient lyrics
  • aldrich
    Does anyone post the French lyrics of this carol?

1. Kings from the Orient, Magi royal,
    Called by the star to that blest door.
    Here 'tis your God claims homage loyal;
    Hasten your Savior to adore;
    Give Him your love for evermore.

2. In that dark grotto, lowly, lonely,
    Glowing, your lamp of Faith shines bright.
    Through mystic shadows see Him only,
    God and your King from realms of light;
    Glory divine from Heaven's height.

3. Humble though great, ye Kings adore Him,
    Magi, your treasures yield straight way;
    Tenderly lay your gifts before Him;
    God, incense, myrrh, your debt to pay;
    Offer your hearts without delay.

4. Gold for the King of kings Supernal,
    Myrrh for His dear Humanity,
    Incense for God, divine, eternal;
    O Holy Magi, you have known
    Reason profound for Faith you own.

5. Jesus, dear Lord, our hearts we bring you;
    Take them unworthy though they be.
    Grant in return the pray'r we sing you;
    That with the Magi's Faith in Thee,
    Bright star of hope and love we see.

Thanks!
  • Beautiful hymn, and new to me.
    But, to what tune? It's an odd metre (88988) for which I can't find a tune.
    'God' in st. 3 line 4 and st. 4 line 1 should be 'Gold'.
    Does anyone have a tune for this?
    Thanks for sharing it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Um ... the metre is 98.988. I don't know of any tunes with this meter either, but one could use any of several 98.98.88 tunes by repeating the final line of each stanza. One venerable such tune is Wer nur den lieben Gott.
  • aldrich
    The tune from the hymnal is printed as Air de Saboly (from Nicolas Saboly). The hymn in its partiture is found in romaaeterna.jp/romanhmn/rh026.html. I just need the French lyrics, which I could not find online. Either the lyrics come from an extremely remote French or Canadian village, or the connection is simply apocryphal.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • aldrich
    Based on my research, this first appeared in the book "Jubilee Hymns, Book IV" in Canada.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • This answer obviously comes too late for Christmas, but I have plenty of information about this piece. This English text, which I had never seen before, is based on a famous old French noel.

The tune is “A la venue de Noel” (15th or 16th century). The metre is 8888 and the fifth line of each verse is simply the fourth line repeated. The tune is modal, with the leading note sometimes sharpened and sometimes not. It is definitely folk-like, and is not a hymn. (Think “The Holly and the Ivy” rather than “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”.) You can google the title and find performances of it online, though most of them are not very impressive. Many of them are so slow as to make the carol sound like a dirge. I think it should be sung in cut time, say 72 to the half-note. Every 17th and 18th century French organist who wrote noel variations (Lebegue, Dandrieu, Daquin, Balbastre) wrote a set on “A la venue de Noel”, and it is inevitably the first one in the collection, presumably because it was so well-known. The carol is still quite popular in France but is unknown in French Canada.

Like many old French noels, the original text (between 9 and 14 verses depending on the version) tells the Christmas story in a simple and rustic way. Other words have been fitted to the tune. I know of two such texts, both having to do with the Magi. One ("Rois d'Orient, illustres mages", with 7 verses) is by "Chanoine F. Le Dorz" and probably dates from the early 20th century. The other ("Rois d'Orient, marchez sans crainte", with 4 verses) is obviously a re-working of the previous one: it dates from the 1950s and is by a French Jesuit, Louis Barjon. Both authors followed the dictates of classical French poetry which demand that lines ending with “masculine” syllables alternate with lines ending with “feminine” syllables. Consequently, an extra syllable ending in “e” was added to the first and third lines, and so the last note of those lines has to be repeated, producing a 9898 metre. This is the 1950s text:

Rois d'Orient, marchez sans crainte!
    Sur l'horizon l'étoile a lui.
    Vers Bethléem, la ville sainte,
    Dieu vous appelle et vous conduit.
    Noël! Noël! L'étoile a lui.

Qui n'aimerait, tant il nous aime,
    Ce nouveau-né qui vient du ciel?
    Rois, cet enfant, c'est Dieu lui-même,
    Dieu dont l'empire est éternel.
    Alléluia! Noël! Noël!

Rois d'Orient, avec la myrrhe,
    Vous apportez l'or et l'encens.
    Mais de nos coeurs qu'il vient instruire,
    Faits à Dieu d'abord présent.
    Noël! Noël! Rois d'Orient!

Princes des îles d'Arabie,
    Rois de Tharsis et de Saba,
    C'est vers le Maître de la vie,
    Que l'univers vient sur vos pas.
    Noël! Noël! Alléluia!

The English text above, by Msgr John Edward Ronan, founder of St. Michael's Choir School in Toronto, is clearly inspired by one of these French texts (even down to the 9898 metre), though it is far from a translation of either one. The language is Victorian in its solemnity, and does not suit either the French text or the simple carol tune (unless the tune is sung like a ponderous hymn).
  • jgirodjgirod
    Another version is available at http://bmarcore.perso.neuf.fr/noel/P-N002.html
    In my previous chapel we sang this tune with different lyrics during Advent.
    By the way, Nicolas Saboly wrote carols with original lyrics in "Provençal" (a dialect sometimes classified as Occitan, although the 2 are only of the same family).
    Thanked by 2aldrich CHGiffen
  • G
    Great text, tune also used for Whence Comes This Rush of Wings, appears, (IIRC, as a noel,) in Franck's l'Organiste

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • aldrich
    Nothing is too late, @prudentius. I will update the hymnal I compiled to include this original piece.