English 3rd Edition in Square Notation
  • Has anyone put the music found in the English translation of the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal in square notation? If one begins to teach a children's choir how to read square notation, it wouldn't make any sense to then give them the English ordinaries in modern notation as they appear in the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal.

If nobody's done this yet, I guess I'll do it as needed using the Parish Book of Chant and the Gregorian Missal as guides (I only learn how to correctly read neumes two month ago at the Colloquium).
  • The first couple of times I searched for it, I couldn't find it. After I wrote the above post, I found it: http://musicasacra.com/2011/06/02/missal-chants-another-edition/

I didn't look at the whole think yet, but it appears so be the same music as the 3rd Edition of the Missal. Am I right?
  • The pew edition at the link you posted was in every pew at the Josephinum when I was there in January.

We use the simple tone for our masses, but print it all in weekly programs.
  • BenBen
    All of the chants of the missal (including priest's parts, like prefaces) are found somewhere around here.... Andrew?

Alternatively, many of the ordinary parts can be found at the link above (or here). Aristotle's edition is very good.
  • ryandryand
    This is similar to Ben's link above - maybe identical - just a different look ... and no table of contents

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/ICELchants_neumes.pdf
    Thanked by 1rjgrigaitis
  • Aristotle's version is quite nice. What are the copyright restrictions on reproducing this for choir use and for putting in service folders for the congregation?
  • Here's the thread I started earlier. ICEL settings in square notation The link at the end is broken, but you can find them here:

PDF
    Sources (zip archive)

I still need to clean up the formatting... mea maxima culpa! I didn't realise my transcription is available on Lulu! I'll have to produce an improved version that's publish-worthy.