On part time positions ...
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    From another thread -

Although employers should acknowledge that full time employment is the ideal for a lot of reasons, I don't think it says something negative necessarily that a position is part time.

When I began in my current position, my employer and I had an understanding that the position was part time but would offer full health benefits for myself and my family. I'm also paid in accord with AGO guidelines. I'm not expected to be there "full time," as in 40 hours or more a week and we have an understanding about me having other employment on the side.

And guess what - my job is a dream job - and I don't have to play show tune like ditties on the piano each week. And although I'm not wealthy, I am paid very fairly and support a family.

For those with more credentials, such a position can also complement college faculty positions.

So don't write off those part time jobs!

Just sayin ...
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Perhaps I'm mistaken in this assumption, but if I read a job posting and it says that the job is "part-time" then I automatically assume that there will be no benefits offered.

This is my understanding: FT = benefits ; PT = no benefits

It seems to me that your position, PGA, is unusual in that it is a PT position which includes benefits. I would be glad to be proven wrong, or simply to learn from others on the forum in this regard.

I'll be glad to start the sharing: I have a FT job and a PT job, both in the field of sacred music. My FT job includes full benefits, my PT job includes no benefits at all, just salary.
  • DougS
    I agree, PGA, and what you are saying is similar to my point on the other thread.

Irishtenor, in my experience your assumption is correct, but based on what PGA is saying, it might be worthwhile for an applicant or interviewee to inquire about "total compensation package" if it isn't clear in the ad. I know I've stumbled across some that say "30 hours plus benefits" but this can unfortunately be a euphemism for "30 hours plus elective benefits."
  • donr
    My wife was a part time music teacher in CA she made no salary but our kids went to school for free, a nice benefit.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    When I originally expressed interest in the position, the pastor told me that he probably couldn't offer full-time employment. I said, "Well, still consider me interested and maybe it'll be possible to work something out."

In the end, he called to offer me the job and said "Well, this can't be full time, but I understand you have a family. How could we make this work?" I told him that since I had a lead on part time employment in another field that I was familiar with, the salary wouldn't necessarily be an issue, but that myself and my family needed health insurance and benefits. He went to the business manager and worked out the financial side of it and came back offering me a very fair salary plus full benefits.

A year later another liturgy/music position opened that was VERY unique working for a religious community. I was hired for that job and am now very much a "full time" musican and liturgist, and, like I said, my parish job is an absolute dream job with a semi-professional choir/schola that sings chant and polyphony, a concert series, and an extremely supportive pastor with whom I see eye to eye on matters of liturgy and music.
  • I work part time at a parish as DoM, do some freelance concert work as soprano soloist, and I work full time as a mom.

The DoM position is 25 hours a week, and I was offered benefits as part of my salary.

At this point my husband and I have opted not to go with the diocesan insurance plan because it costs quite a bit more than insurance through my husband's job.

Another plus for my part time situation is that I work as a team with an organist. I am technically his supervisor but we have our own areas and collaborate well together. The parish can't afford two full time musicians and yet benefits from two degreed musicians working part time and specializing in their own field, he with organ, and I with training voices.
  • hartleymartin
    In reality, to run a Parish music program properly you need at least 2 people, preferably 3. You need a Director of Music and and Assistant Director, Organ Scholar and Assistant organist. You would be training a choir for a choral mass each week and a number of cantors for other masses.
  • HM, maybe that's "reality" down under (u r from Australia?) but it sounds more like "ideally" here in the states. Off hand, I can think of about five fingers worth of basilicas/cathedrals who could/do budget for that ideal. A choral Mass each week, I must be in Salzburg or Vienna!
  • dad29
    It is to laugh with ironic sadness....

Much of the "music director" slot these days is reproductive activity. (No, not THAT!) Download stuff, make copies, .......rinse, repeat next week. Actual Direction of Music? Maybe 30-40% of the time consumed.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    dad29, sound like things have improved since Bach's day. We don't even need to have our kids run the copier (or BE the copier).
    Thanked by 2marajoy DougS
  • dad29
    Yah...but JSB had a bunch of semi-pro/professional singers and instrumentalists.

One run-through and SING!
  • Kathy
    Director of Music and and Assistant Director, Organ Scholar and Assistant organist. Music Librarian. Child care team. Sound tech. Dietician.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • I think PGA is right that we shouldn't write part time positions off. However, I think that when people read a job description like one currently on the board, which includes multiple Masses, office hours, multiple weekly rehearsals, requiring a Masters Degree, etc. it scares a lot of folks off. So, for those of you who are posting part time jobs like this, if you have special benefits that go along with the position (health insurance, flexible schedule, additional compensation, housing, etc), it would be great to mention that in the advertisement. Otherwise, you might not get some quality candidates that you'd otherwise get.
    Thanked by 2DougS ryand
  • BruceL
    I don't think anyone was writing off part-time positions, just making reasonable criticisms of a description. If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck,...

Some dioceses actually prohibit part-time employees from receiving benefits. I know this is often the case where I am. Great to hear some of you worked that out, as I know the parish pay-in for a family plan is something like $12k now. Crazy.

Adam is right on the money, though. What was advertised isn't a part-time job at all. In fact, it would be impossible to do the job up to the level it should be done on the hours provided.
    Thanked by 2DougS ryand
  • I think with that particular job description, my concern is less for the candidates and more for the parish. The parish is, I assume, putting all their cards on the table when it comes to duties. There are a lot of them for very few hours. Chances are the person who is hired will either not be able to do the work on a level it should be done, or they will go over their allotted hours per week. That's all very clear.

However, what the compensation and benefits are aren't listed. It could be that the pay is excellent, or a special and rare benefit might be included (I know a number of colleagues who get a house rent-free for as long as they're employed...). On the face of it, I'd never apply to the referred-to position, because it just seems like a ton of work that I could never get done or, if I did get it done, I wouldn't be compensated fairly for doing it. However, if there was a special benefit, such as housing, I would heavily consider it. All that to say, there could be some very, very qualified candidates who don't apply to part time jobs because they don't know about the compensation or benefits and just assume they'd be getting a standard part time salary at a Catholic parish.
    Thanked by 2ryand irishtenor