Where do I find chamber music for Christmas?
  • We are going to start a small youth chamber orchestra at our church to play at Christmas and Easter. Could someone please direct me to the place where I would find appropriate music? This will not be for Mass, though they may accompany a hymn or two.

The likely instruments will be violin, cello, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, organ--maybe others.

Thank you!

Kathy
  • http://www.lastresortmusic.com is the ideal source for, though these are not urtext works, they are wonderful adaptations for otherwise weird sets of instruments....weird in the sense that there is little or no known repertoire for them.

There was once a group called something like 288 strings, whatever a harp, piano and violin add up to. A wonderful idea, great players but....no repertoire to speak of so then it becomes arranging, arranging and arranging, often not bettering the music itself in the process.

This business has really thought this through and the settings are very very useful. Especially with youth who sometimes just don't show up....a brandenburg with the flutes and solo violin before confirmation and the solo violinist says, "Well, I have to go now....before we played...." Teenagers.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24