Children's Choral Music for Liturgy
  • charchar
    I have a small 3-6 grade children's choir in our parish. They are part of a Catholic School System which has a very weak choral music program and very contemporary views on what they think is appropriate music for liturgy. In the past I was lucky if I could spend 30 minutes each week with the kids invovled in the parish children's choir. This year I hope to increase that time to an hour. Does anyone have suggestions for very simple 1-2 part pieces that I could teach the children for liturgies throughout the liturgical year - including for Christmas? I will begin teaching them how to read chant notation and sing some simple chants for Mass. I've been with this group of kids for 4 years and we have not progressed, but at least we haven't died! There's always hope:) I'm beginning this new year with them from ground zero and go from there. Once again, any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated!
  • If you go to St. James Music Press (www.sjmp.com), they have a very reasonable subscription rate, and you can use stuff for your adults, too. Their "Viva Voce" program is pretty good for kids, although it recently seems to be dominated by just one or two composers.

Last year, though, I used the set of "A Little Advent Music" for a concert in which the youth choir sang. It's a wonderful set of three pieces (Come Thou, Redeemer of the Earth; Lo, How a Rose; O Come, O Come, Emmanuel) set for organ/piano, 1-2 part youth choir, oboe, and violin. They're gorgeous. It's right there on the St. James site.

Other than that, I'd recommend the new program "Words with Wings" for teaching them chant. I'll be starting that this year, too, and I'm very excited about it.
  • Canons would probably work well, I think, and so would having them learn the ICEL chants from the Missal, and the simpler chant ordinaries. And hymns in Latin and English.
  • The idea of canons is good, but I'm going to suggest two other hymns, both from the Christmastide:

Jesu Dulcis Memoria (which is so short that they can learn it easily)
    Puer natus in Bethlehem ( which is more difficult, but still short).
    Yes, they should learn the Latin. Believe me that they can.

God bless,
    Chris
  • Obtain "The Paish Book of Chants" It has much of what you need for Latin Plainsong Chant for those kids. From what you have said above, they should generally master chants and unison choral works first before part singing and Canons.
  • I've used Justine Ward's THE HISTORY OF SALVATION to very good outcomes.
    I'm likely going to use Wilco Brouwer's ON THE WINGS OF SONG this year.
  • I started out my children's choir (same ages) with Ave Maria chant and Salve Regina. They know them by heart now and sound wonderful. I agree with rounds. Dona Nobis Pacem works really well with this age group.
  • Catholics can be, unfortuntatnely, really, really stupid when it comes to choral music, falling over and over again into the trap of being protestant.

Spending weeks preparing a piece, singing it once and then dropping it. Your children should sing the Ave and Salve Regina weekly at Mass. And more, of couse, but repeat over and over again. No on in the church is going to complain but the singers. Getting beyond the bored lets do something else and each time trying to sing it even better than the last time, trying to reach an impossible state of perfection is what it is all about.

It should reach the point that all you have to do is look at them and raise an eyebrow and they start singing it.

You are doing wonderful work and the children, throughout their lives, will never forget this. They may forget your name, what you look like and even totally forget you, but they will not forget the Catholic heritage in music that you brought to them.

I was at a church and ran into a family from Vietnam. I tried to explain what I do there and showed the elderly man my business card with monks singing on it. He began to sing right there in the church entry, the Ave Maria. We finished it together.

There is a universal language AND music in the Catholic church. Preserve it, nurture it.

It appears that the average employment of one of us tends to be 4 years before we get booted out. Make every minute of those four years be spent singing great music.
  • charchar
    Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas and reassurances here and I am grateful!May God bless you and your ministry as this new season begins!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • G
    I discovered that while children took to chant readily, they LOVED repercussions, and became that much more eager when we learned a chant with many opportunities.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • This is a great thread - I, too, will be more active with our school's choir this year, and I want to begin teaching simple chants. The resources listed here are very helpful. So glad I read this thread!
  • I wonder if there would be any interest in a methods book on how to REALLY train children to sing accurately and correctly? It would contain not only what, when, why, where to do, but would have musically suggested examples like unto the Suzuki Method for instrumentalists. It would be a method that would be fun for children yet professional and a serious work toward teaching children how to sing correctly and all based on traditional sacred classical music; i.e. chant and sacred classical compositions in unison to multiple parts. Anyone interested? Email me at: SarumSociety@aol.com We are composing just such a methods and so its a work in progress for now.
  • Isn't there something like this at:

http://www.wingsworkshop.org/

There's always room for more, of course!
  • I don't think so. What I have in mind is based on hundreds of years of research, matertials, other methods, training schemes and approaches from many choirmaster throughout the centuries, etc. All of it is also based on the Suzuki style / approach to teaching music as well. The method in mind starts with Kinder-garten age and goes up through Cambiata age boys and high school age girls. It is graduated and incorporates not only traditional sacred classical music and chant, but traditional folks and nursery songs as well for the younger children. It incorporates the Ward Method, RSCM Schemes and solfege too with both modern and Gregorian notation.
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Words with Wings is, from all that I have seen so far and know myself from having sung chant in Latin as a boy, the finest choice anyone can make for establishing a strong musical background in children.

To specialize and focus upon the simplicity of chant and to develop the subtle nuances of musicianship around these melodies creates a foundation that cannot be surpassed.

To have Arlene Oost-Zinner and Wilko Brouwers collaborate to make this book come alive in English is a great gift from two very talented people.

The first class I ever took through Musica Sacra was with Wilko Brouwers and it was wonderful.

It is extremely difficult for people who teach music to write books on how to teach music, but people who teach teachers, as Wilko Brouwers does, they are brilliant at it.

Wilko's a teacher's teacher....strategies for teaching are his life and passion.

Little sparkles of light are going to appear across the US and those twinkles have a name, choirs created by the hard work of Arlene Oost-Zinner and Wilko Brouwers.
    Thanked by 2CindyCecilia Geremia