Communion Chants
  • hartleymartin
    I've adopted the practice of putting the antiphon of the communion chant into the mass leaflet with a note underneath saying "Verses from Psalm X (vY) are sung by the Schola or Cantor." I do this for masses of various Feasts and Solemnities which fall on week days and provide liturgical music for these masses.

I have not written any instruction that the congregation should sing the antiphon, but I suppose that I have sort of hinted at it being done in a similar manner to the Responsorial Psalm. What are your thoughts? Is this a good way of inviting participation of the congregation?
  • If this is a new thing (singing the antiphon during Communion), I would ask for some space in the bulletin explaining a bit about propers, antiphons, and what you are specifically doing. You don't have to be sneaky; just tell them.
  • hartleymartin
    At the moment I am not 100% certain that it is proper to do so. I suppose if we expect the congregation to sing the hymns, then perhaps some of the propers should be sung by the congregation too.

I've attached a PDF file of my thus-far best piece of work for a mass leaflet. It is for the Feast of St Lawrence, August 10th. You can see on the very back page of the leaflet how I have included the antiphon of the communion chant. It is sort of implied that anything with music printed in the leaflet is something for the congregation to sing.

I've probably said it a dozen times on this forum, but I'll make mention of my usual music program. I try to include as much of the propers as I can, although I sometimes substitute one of them with a hymn if it is a feast day, or if it is similar to the chant either in text or at least thematically. Whilst not normally required in the small chapel I prepare these masses for, I keep an eye out for hymns which use the texts or themes of the readings for the day.

The use of an Organ Interlude for the Offertory is a bit unusual for me. During this week I will have had 4 sung masses (Monday-Transfiguration, Tuesday-Regular Sung mass, Wednesday-St Mary of the Cross Mackillop, and Friday-St Lawrence) so I am giving most of the schola people a break since their official commitment is only for Tuesdays and other important occasions when the usual Director of Music is called in. I would normally seek to make use of a suitable Motet such as the Arcadelt Ave Maria on Marian Feasts. I try to find stuff that has matching or at least thematically similar texts - failing that, something appropriate to the liturgical season.

And before anyone says anything, I am aware that I have made at least one typographical error, but it is now after 1am and I expect that sort of thing.

Thanked by 1WiesOrganista
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I think you did a very nice job on the leaflet! Looks great!
  • hartleymartin
    I did the artwork for the ICEL Gloria IV to fit onto an A5 page as a TIFF file.

The idea was to leave enough room to either put the ICEL Kyrie on top on one line or to nominate the Kyre being sung by the choir.

I also did the artwork for the Agnus Dei to minimise the space it took on the mass leaflet. I may do something similar tot the Sanctus at a future date.

The Offertory Interlude was a mixture of improvisation based on a copy of the Hymn Music and a written interlude published in the Oxford Service Music book 1. (Can't remember if it is the one for manuals or for manuals and pedals).

I didn't include the Our Father Chant, since everyone around these parts knows it. I included the chant music mostly to encourage the congregation to sing along (which they did, I am glad to report).
  • Your handout looks terrific. Regarding the Communion Antiphon, I recommend leaving the musical notation out. Just text, and perhaps even an alert that the text is different from the text in the missalette if your church has missalettes (they're ubiquitous in the States). When I cantor, it is awkward when a certain pious faithful recites aloud the "communion antiphon", and then we chant the antiphon in Latin with a different text.
  • GavinGavin
    It looks good as is. It's clear enough that the congregation should sing the Communion Antiphon, and I'd be curious as to the amount of participation you elicit on it.
  • BenBen
    It's good to see someone else not afraid to give a congregation neumes!
  • hartleymartin
    I tell people that it is basically the same as regular music, except that it was 4 lines instead of 5 and the notes are square. Not much else is different. Chant music is almost the same as modern music. It is just simpler. It reads much the same way as modern music. Notes go up, you sing higher, notes go down, you sing lower. You come in with the cantor at the asterisk...

I actually find neumes to be much easier to read for chant music than modern notation. There is a lot of sense in using them.
  • hartleymartin
    Most people who complain that they can't read neumes can't read regular music either anyway. Those who can read music pick it up quickly enough.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Gavin Ben
  • CharlesW
    I think neumes are an obsession with some. Where they work, use them. Where they don't work, use something else. Since congregations are often of the opinion that musicians lost their minds years earlier, they probably won't care either way.
  • GavinGavin
    I personally oppose neumes for congregations, but I don't freak out if someone else uses them. What I like about this is that it's fairly consistent - they sing the Kyrie to neumes, the Gloria to neumes, the Sanctus to neumes, and it will be very logical for them to sing the Communion Antiphon to neumes!
  • BenBen
    I agree with you, there, Hartley. If someone doesn't already read music, than it shouldn't be hard to follow the ups and downs on a simple chant, and for those that do read music, all you have to do is simply explain the clefs! It's a win-win either way. I actually started doing it for quite trivial reasons: it takes half the time for me to engrave music into neumes!
  • hartleymartin
    I'm not nuts over neumes though, I do think that they work best for chant music. Having learned to read things like guitar tabulature, it is just yet another system of writing out music to me.

Attached is the ACEL (Australian Comission for English Liturgy) Our Father Chant. The artwork is adapted from the ICEL chant in modern notation. It seems that Australia created its own version of the Our Father chant many years back (a popular 1980's hymnal called the Catholic Worship Books) has it, and it seems to be almost unique to Australia. It is extremely similar to the Latin Pater Noster.

I did this in modern notation because the artwork I adapted it from is in modern notation. I have not yet bothered to create a neume version, and probably won't for a while. If anyone complains about funny square notes I point out the Our Father to them and explain how we lengthen certain notes and that it is by feel rather than by strictly noting it out.
    1073 x 672 - 35K