NPM Convention Tuesday Update: CMAA everywhere...
  • matthewjmatthewj

The CMAA, especially Bartlett's SEP, were brought up several times at today's Chant Group Meeting by Fr. Ruff.

But the real story was at a mainstream breakout session sponsored by WLP. The session, "Fresh Approaches to the Propers in the Roman Missal," drew a very decent crowd. The presenter, the ever-wise Paul French, spent at least 30-40 minutes promoting the Simple English Propers, Rice's Choral Propers, the Communio chants provided by CMAA, etc... When I walked into the room and saw the handout, complete with link to the CMAA webpage and advertising that much of this is available for free, I was shocked. The presenter was very convincing, spoke passionately about CMAA products (in addition to products by WLP, Canticanova, and the Graduale Romanum), and made a very serious case for singing propers.

Bravo to Paul French, bravo to WLP, and NPM. I don't believe this breakout, at least presented in the way it was, could have been possible just a few years ago.
  • Wow!! Thanks for that update, thats great news !!! :-)
  • DougS
    The breakout led by Charles Thatcher also included a lot of CMAA promotion.
    Thanked by 1SanAntonioCath
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, I'm guessing there's a lot of mentioning going on in the Chant Sessions. The thing that made the WLP presentation so intriguing was that it was listed under the Roman Missal heading. Which means that many of the people that attended that lecture were not chant-promoters. And I think he was convincing enough that many of them left that lecture intrigued and very interested.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Hurrah!
  • That is really fantastic news!! I hope this is a continuing trend!!
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • JennyH
    F A N T A S T I C !
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Amazing. It also illustrates the fruit of peace, collegiality, mutual learning.

I'm preaching to myself here and everyone!
  • Kathy
    I think it illustrates all that, and also the power of the creative commons.
  • Kathy
    ...a revelation to me, I would add.
  • francis
    Authentic Sacred Music will not die nor will it be kept down. It is like a beach ball which its adversaries are trying to keep submerged under water. Eventually they won't be able to keep it under water and it will pop out high into the air and then everyone will want to play,
  • Maureen
    But it's everybody's beach ball. As soon as the adversaries find out it's their beach ball to play with too, I think a lot of opposition will disappear.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Yes. Chant is your own heritage, and it is fun--that's the watchword.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen