Hymn: O Mother Mary of the Cross (MacKillop)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Note: 2013-07-22, the attached PDF score and the sound file link have been changed to reflect changed text for stanza 2, as well as some changes to the descants and harmonization.

In honor of Australia's (first) Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop (observed August 8), I have composed a hymn O Mother Mary of the Cross with original L.M. tune MACKILLOP and words by Veronica Brandt (aka. veromary). The attached PDF score gives the hymn with descants for the third and/or fourth stanzas, with an alternate harmonization and descant for the fourth stanza. The MP3 sound file for this setting (directly linked below to CPDL) is synthesized from a Finale source file, presents the first stanza with voices in unison together with organ accompaniment, the second stanza with voices alone in SATB harmony, the third stanza with descant, unison voices, and organ, and the fourth stanza the alternate harmonization, again with descant, unison voices, and organ.

I named the tune MACKILLOP in honor of St. Mary of the Cross, and the tune is drawn from my plainchant setting of the same text which is posted in another discussion here at MusicaSacra. Many thanks, in terms of inspiration, are due to several Australian friends and acquaintances.

Charles H. Giffen

New (as of 2013-07-22:
    O Mother Mary of the Cross - MP3
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    To save having to look for it, here is the link to the PDF for my plainchant version of veromary's hymn (updated 2013-07-23).
  • veromaryveromary
    Complete with not one but Two Descants! My mother would Love This!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    O Mother Mary of the Cross has been slightly revised (the revisions are in the descants). The PDF score and link to the MP3 sound file have been updated in the first post in this thread to reflect the revisions. I wish to thank colleagues and several Australian friends for their positive feedback.

Chuck
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    [ Bumping this for Feast of Saint Mary MacKillop of the Cross on August 8 ]
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • veromaryveromary
    You are right. I like that "Thou ever soughtest Joseph's aid", though the "soughtest" looks odd. But I've been typing too long and now I'm trying to remember where I misspelt though

Could just make To Joseph's aid thou e'er didst turn. But it is a bit of a stretch either way.

I can see why some writers ditch the "thee" and "thy". It's not that people don't understand the pronouns, it's the verbs.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Veronica ... would you like me to amend the score to reflect a change of text? And, if so, what would you prefer? It won't take more than a few minutes to make the change and post it here.

MHI ... thanks for the catch.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • MHIMHI
  • veromaryveromary
    Talking about with my husband, he goes for "soughtest" too. It's growing on me, as it puts the aid on the final syllable.

Okay, here is the decision for Hymn to St Mary Of the Cross v1.1
    Thou ever soughtest Joseph's aid
    Strong in the faith that he would be
    An advocate to that dear Heart
    That bled and died upon the tree.

That's going by memory, if the capitals vary, go with whatever was already there.

I'll update my webpages at my earliest convenience (probably after Compline here)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, done with the hymn text changes, also a few changes to the descants and minor harmonization changes. These are reflected in the PDF file and MP3 link in the first post in this thread.

I'll make the necessary text change to the chant version shortly.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is the PDF sheet music for my plainchant setting of this hymn.
  • hartleymartin
    A year later... and I never worried about choosing a tune for it and type-setting it. Now at 1:15am on the Solemnity I finally get around to it! I've chosen the Hymn Tune "Melcombe" as in Australia it is only ever sung to "O Saving Victim" and I think is a nice, simple and humble hymn tune which reflects the little nun in the brown habit.

Thaxted with the attendant hymn is big, grand and somewhat over-blown, and doesn't represent the saint in the way that she is best remembered.
  • I've changed my mind. I think "WAREHAM" is the right tune for this hymn.