Anyone Know of a "Sacred Music Assessment Tool" based on G.I.R.M/SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I am in need of an evaluation/assessment tool based on the G.I.R.M/SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM - to help the unschooled in my new parish understand why we are making global changes to the pathetic liturgy that has existed for the last 15 years.

I'm the new D.M. - brought in by a very solid Pastor. Parish is poor & very liberal - in danger of closing.
    Pastor is part of an order (Commuion/Liberation) sent in to try a resuscitation. He brought me in to turn things around (don't laugh but I have six months to do this) . I took the helm 3 weeks ago and have steered the ship toward more chant (Introit/Communio/Ordinaries/Psalm) without getting rid of the hymns (4 at each mass) and am doing a polyphonic motet at Offertory and Post Communion. We replaced the downstairs "bandstand" with a beautiful area honoring "Our Lady of Guadelupe" and we moved the newly created "summer schola" up to the choir loft. BUT - I still send a cantor down to lead the congregation, sans microphone. I dare not go any further - but this allows my conscience to function. For the past three weeks, things have been all smiles and lots of compliments, but last week the naysayers couldn't stay silent and are rattling cages trying to get the rest of the parish upset. Since it's a very poor parish - my Pastor - who is Portuguese - is now very worried that those who put money in the collection will be convinced to leave the parish if things escalate. (I say, let it blow up and hold course - but I'm not paying the bills.)

I have a meeting w/him in one hour and it occurred to me that such a checklist might help - so we can again try to explain why we are making certain changes. I'm already using the Q & A on Sacred Music from CMAA - and another DM's document on why changes are needed. Now I'm down to a checklist. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Would it help to teach people about the structure defined in Musicam Sacram: putting importance on *singing the Mass*, starting with the dialogues, then the Mass ordinary, etc.?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    cutting and pasting you suggestion into my document right now. thanks, chonak