Query re "Moved by a Lively Desire" (Chirograph by JPII)
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    In doing some reading I ran across a paragraph in John Paul II's Chirograph on Tra le sollecitudini from November of 2003.

In paragraph 11, we read:

"The century just past, with the renewal begun by Vatican Council II, has seen a special development of popular religious song, about which Sacrosanctum Concilium has this to say: 'The people's own religious songs are to be encouraged with care so that in sacred devotions as well as during services of the liturgy itself, . . . the faithful may raise their voices in song.' Such songs that are particularly adapted to the participation of the faithful are to be used not only in popular devotions 'in keeping with rubrical norms and requirements' but also in the liturgy. In fact, popular song constitutes a 'bond of unity and a joyful expression of the community at prayer, fosters the proclamation of the one faith, and imparts to large liturgical assemblies an incomparable and recollected solemnity.' "

Now, ISTM that this is leaving the door wide open for arguments in favor of the use of "sacro-pop" music, praise choruses and the like. What's worse, this paragraph is buried within a larger writing that contains many very good, solid, orthodox positions on what would be considered otherwise wholly appropriate music for the liturgy (chant, chant-based polyphony, etc.)

My question is, how does one mitigate the apparent damage done by the above-quoted paragraph in the face of arguments favoring the use of contemporary music and instruments in the liturgy by folk who aren't broadly-read in the larger universe of Church writings and legislation?

This of course points to a much larger question, and that is, how do we truly, consistently and convincingly present the "mind of the Church" in the face of statements like the above?
  • incantuincantu
    What is meant by "the people's own religious songs"? The music of Haugen and Haas is not the authentic folk music of any culture, nor does it "belong" to the people (otherwise, it would be free!). There is, however, a repertoire of traditional devotional music that has never been part of the liturgy, and as such had always been considered extra-liturgical. Vernacular Christmas carols are one example. "O Sanctissima" is another that comes to mind. I think this quotation is meant to allow the traditional music of a certain culture, that is popular devotion expressed in song, to be admitted into the sacred sacrifice of the Mass. One has to remember that this statement is made in the context of all the other binding legislation concerning music. It certainly cannot be taken to mean that popular religious song should usurp the role of the proper texts of the Mass, remove chant from its pride of place, or overshadow the treasury of polyphonic settings of liturgical (not extra-liturgical) texts.
  • RobertRobert
    The statement that this popular song "imparts to large liturgical assemblies an incomparable and recollected solemnity" suggests to me that this was an attempt to recognize the role that certain contemporary song plays in the liturgies of specific communities, in particular the Neo-catechumenal Way and Taize'. I have read that John Paul II was fond of this kind of music. Whatever one thinks of this style, it does seem to foster "recollected solemnity" in a way that the noisy or theatrical pop music referred to earlier in this thread does not.
  • G
    Robert, I had no idea the Neo-catechumenal way HAD music particular or specific to it.
    Is this something with which you are familiar?
    Can you speak to the repertoire?
    TIA

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)