Colloquium 2013
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Where will it be held?
  • benedictgal
    Hopefully in Texas!!!!!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota)!!
  • If TX,BG, better be San Antonio.
    If New Orleans, W and I will both be present.
  • chonakchonak
    The site for next year hasn't been announced yet, but the dates are known: June 17-23, 2013.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    East, West, South ... give us in the far northern midwest a break!!! :)
    Thanked by 3Ben ryand Wendi
  • BenBen
    Somewhere in the Midwest maybe? How about Southern Wisconsin...I would totally go if it was. I'd love to meet you all!
  • Come to Loyola U Chicago again, so I can sign up immediately! :)
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Well, I'll reprise an idea I came up with at Loyola, have a Colloquium in the Vatican and Rome, and show 'em how it's done right.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Chris Allen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Madison/Milwaukee/Chicago!
  • BenBen
    I'm seeing a recurring theme here....
  • ryandryand
    Another vote for Midwest.
  • jczarn
    Me too (midwest, please)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My vote goes for a very tropical Colloquium...
  • How' bout Laredo, MJM? Close to the gulf, Benedictgal, all sorts of opportunities for social interaction and inculturation.
    Count me out, tho', it's no country for old men.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • chonakchonak
    I dunno if this means anything, but didn't Arlene mention the location of a Chant Intensive in June?
  • GavinGavin
    A vote for Texas, here! I'd love to finally be able to attend one!

Houston would be a great place for it...
  • Guadalupe
    I wasn't able to attend this year, but assumed that next year's Colloquium would once again be in Salt Lake City, repeating the pattern of the last few colloquia. Was there a problem with this site? I was looking forward to being there next year.
  • WendiWendi
    I don't think there is a problem...it's a beautiful site. I did hear though that they put off some renovations to the choir school so it could be there this year. It may be that they just need to do the work before holding the colloquium in salt Lake again.

I vote for the midwest also...I want to bring my husband next time...and I want several of my friends to experience it also.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Okay I can hear the groans now but how about Detroit? We have very active Trindentine Liturgies here, lots of chant being sung at Masses. Assumption Grotto which offers more EF Masses than any other parish in the USA. You have St. Josaphat which offers an Eastern spin on Gregorian Chant (Old Roman Chant). St. Joseph which offers Mass in the OF in Latin using the Propers. There are more parishes offering chant but I don't know the exact details, perhaps someone else on the forum could tell us about chant down river of the City. Why not Detroit? You could check the availability of a number of places including St. Johns in Livonia or Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit, indeed Assumption Grotto has a school building though it is probably not as nice a building as you are used to using. But there are a number Catholic colleges like Marygrove in Detroit and in the northern suburbs there is St. Cyril and Methodius Seminary.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Ryan Murphy
  • WendiWendi
    Assumption Grotto would be FABULOUS. Although so would Sacred Heart...maybe they can have the seminarians come to the colloquium too...exposing the newest generation of priests to good sacred music would be a lovely thing I think.
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    I think St. Louis would be a good central location. SLC was nice, but things were a bit spread out and there wasn't enough time to really do "dinner on your own" if you wanted to do the evening activities. Plus I think I spent a lot more money this year than previously.

The church and staff of the cathedral in SLC were really great. Except for a few minor things I wouldn't mind having it back there again.
  • canadashcanadash
    I love the idea of Detroit!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Detroit...almost as close to me as Duquesne was. I'm a transplanted Michigander...but have never been to the Grotto. So yeah, one vote for Detroit. After all, it's not like you're living there. ;-)
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Hi Wendi thanks for the support. The seminarians are usually gone by June although some are still in the area. There are a number of young priests who would be interested in coming and I think the Archbishop would be supportive and perhaps would agree to Celebrate a Pontifical Mass at the conference, he sings you know. This year there was a Mass at the seminary in the octave of Easter with Archbishop Vigneron. We were not going to sing the Sequence again because it was the Mass for the big donors. I think some at the seminary worry these donors will be upset if there is too much Latin in the Mass. However, right before Mass starts the seminarian MC runs up to me and asks if the we can sing the Sequence because the Archbishop would like to have it. My schola was scattered serving and there was no time to get them together to sing it so the organist, Stephanie Kelly and I sang it for the Mass. Afterwards some of the donors came up and expressed how pleased they were with the music, including the Sequence.

If there is some interest in Detroit I will gladly help with organizing and talking to the Archbishop about the possibility as well as the local musicians and chant experts, Fr. Perrone is one for instance, but there are more.
    Thanked by 3marajoy canadash Wendi
  • benedictgal
    Laredo would be incredible, as you can also tackle the issue of Spanish-language sacred music. Believe me, this is something that is sorely needed. We have a beautiful hotel that is across the street from the Cathedral. The Cathedral has an organ and I am sure that the organist would be chomping at the bit to be a part of this!!!!!

The room rates would be reasonable. If there is enough interest, the hotel would be willing to block the rooms and the meeting space.
  • marajoymarajoy
    While Detroit has some attributes that would make it great for a Colloquium (active Latin Mass community and many beautiful churches, and even many CMAA members and friends, including the Archdiocesan DofM and like Ruth mentioned the Archbishop would likely be amenable or even excited,) unless you are in the absolute center of downtown (Ren Center/Greektown), it lacks good transportation (either ability to walk places or take the subway like Chicago, Pittsburgh, and D.C.) I don't know what SLC was like, but if it was somewhere like the Seminary or St. Johns, it would have to be pretty "self-sustaining," as people can't just walk to dinner, and any trips taken to other churches would probably have to be organized by CMAA including transportation.
  • GavinGavin
    Detroit would be great, except I don't live there anymore!

But Mara is right about the lack of transportation there.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    You are right about the transportation but if it was at the seminary the Ovations refectory is top notch and I think we could work out the transportation. My parish is used to organizing that sort of thing because of the Call to Holiness Conferences. Indeed we could call upon 15 years of conference organization expertise. I really think this could work, yes Jeffrey I live in Detroit. : )The church organist choir director at St. Joseph in Detroit has lots of experience organizing bus tours of the wonderful churches in the Detroit area and there are any number of hotels that would be glad to accommodate a conference. Sure it would be great if we could have the transportation availability of say New York but we have been getting around that for years. Besides you would have that gritty Detroit experience that lets every one know you have stamina to persevere through great adversity!
  • WendiWendi
    If it was held in Detroit, the transportation would definitely need to be worked out...there are sections of town that I wouldn't want to find myself in.
  • jczarn
    I didn't mind being in SLC, but the hotel was the biggest turn-off for me. I brought my wife with (did not participate in the Colloquium since she was taking care of our 1 year old), but we were told that extra meal tickets were $50 each for any of the hotel meals. Needless to say, she did not join me for those meals. (Certainly not family-friendly if you ask me).

I appreciate nice dinners, but I just don't think it was worth the extra cost. I would guess that many of us paid for the conference registration out of our own pockets. If the cost of extra meal tickets is indicative at all of how much of our registration fee went to meals at the hotel ($150), I would much rather have simpler meals to cut down on costs, and additionally allow us to be with our families.

I'm sure it must be difficult figuring out how to accommodate so many people, but it would be wonderful if we could leverage some diocesan resources (such as a seminary refectory mentioned above) to keep things affordable and family friendly.
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Well, I need to go into the seminary in the next few days perhaps I could do some preliminary investigation into cost and availability. The refectory would be able to handle the attendees I think and there are rooms available at the seminary, but it wouldn't be enough, a local hotel would have to be used.
  • chonakchonak
    CMAA has been inclined to prefer universities over seminaries, in order to send a message about how sacred music belongs in ordinary Catholic parish life, not just in specialized environments for clergy and religious. Universities also tend to be more conveniently located for participants than seminaries; when they're in town, it's usually possible to run off-campus errands by public transportation or even on foot.
  • Hopefully the northeast! :)
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Yeah, I figured Detroit would be overlooked, who wants to go there after all.
  • rollingrj
    Chonak, AOZ said there would be a Summer Chant Intensive at Duquesne the week before Colloquium XXIII.
    Thanked by 1Guadalupe
  • Hey, Ruth, my second NPM was in Motown in '81. Being from Oakland, I have a very soft spot for city downtowns and booked my stay at (I believe it was called) the Cadillac Hotel. After one night there, I packed up the bags and got my then skinny glutes over to the Renaissance Center where NPM was all at anyway. So much for nostalgia. It was fun back then. And ya got to take the ferry to Windsor!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I do love Detroit.. though I also love Hawaii.
  • WendiWendi
    I just got back from Detroit...and I don't love it.

Assumption Grotto is lovely though. And it's a parish...not a seminary...or even a cathedral.
  • chonakchonak
    @rollingrj: That's it -- so I think there's a pretty good chance we are returning to Duquesne for the colloquium.

Detroit has some real pluses: the Grotto, with the estimable work of Msgr. Perron; and with Windsor, Ontario, across the river, the location offers the possibility for CMAA to blame invade Canada.
  • benedictgal
    I think that we need something like the Colloquium down here in South Texas. We have been exposed to nothing but lame music (ranging from Spanish ranchera to "sacro-pop"). Having something like this could very well be the spark that the Church in South Texas needs to get its act together. We had horrible music for our diocese's 10th anniversary and even worse for the bishop's installation Mass.

Detroit may have its benefits, but, I think that the CMAA should consider going to where its presence might really make a significant impact, not only on this side of the Rio Grande, but, on the other side as well. This could be an international gathering that would have some serious potential.
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • I think that the CMAA should consider going to where its presence might really make a significant impact...

BG, I know 'twas I that responded to Chonak's desire to roast and enjoy repaste in a tropical paradise, all of which hundreds of miles close to....Laredo.
    But were we inclined to actuallly DO what you propose above, all roads lead to Rome, period. If the curia and Magister think we're all impetuous and impudent as we've tried to keep up with the machinations and hoops they've managed, and we have the Madeleine Choir and they have....Capella Sixtina, well, what would have the greater impact?
    Tell me we can't charter a plane-full of 250 honest, dedicated pilgrims who actually respect the Holy Father and all he has risked on behalf of worship, I'll gladly lumber off to the elephants' graveyard.
    To Rome.

PS. Honestly, PapaRatzi was awash is the glorious sound of the Westminister Anglicans who live, breathe, eat and sleep chant and choral tradition. And we American choristers pay thousands of dollars apiece year after year to come and sing gloriously under Horst, Wilko, Mahrt et al, and we're the liturgical point guards who happen to BE ROMAN CATHOLIC. I'd do it in a heartbeat to torque off the liturgists who brought B16 the faux jazz penitential improv at the Berlinermesse.
    To Rome.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Cantate
    Is there an idea of when the location will be announced?
  • IIRC, the announcement of SLC for this year came out a little more later than usual, no doubt to lock into the hopes and projections of moving west of the Mississippi, as AOZ said. Now that there's proof, and an infrastructure that proves SLC provides conditions, it wouldn't be beyond speculation that a return visit would precede the next BIG move, whether Detroit, Rome or St. Croix (for RC).
    Again , as I'm prone to do (go tangential)- maybe the braintrust ought to also consider a shared interest convention at the same time and locale of an NPM National. Ooooh.
  • WendiWendi
    Charles...you agitator you. Of course I have a decided partiality for agitators...my favorite founding father being John Adams... ;)

The NPM people would be aghast. Bless their souls.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Matthew J, my money's on a rather tropical location as well, based on what I know about where some of the "movers and shakers" in the CMAA are from and Arlene's statement that "we'd like it...." I'd love to have one in Atlanta, though, as it would give me a chance to visit my mother's family and invite them to a Mass, as well as agitate for having The Varsity at least cater a lunch, if not have a "field trip" to that Atlanta institution.
    Thanked by 1JDE
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I hope the far-flung location of Salt Lake City was a one time thing. It was too cost prohibitive for me. Midwest or East Coast tends to accomadate more people, I would think.
  • BenBen
    Just want to add that if you did it somewhere in the Madison diocese, you'd probably have tons of support from the bishop. He's a big proponent of sacred music and good liturgy. :D

Just an idea...

• f course I have a decided partiality for agitators...my favorite founding father being John Adams.
    Then you'll know how difficult it was, when I did 1776 to ( in addition to be the music director) "Jefferson." (I also lucked into being " Rutledge" as well.) But Adams RULES!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Really, I'd go no matter where it was held... even Alaska.

But I hear they really need an injection of Gregorian chant in Hawaii...

Or the Caymen Islands! They're part of the Archdiocese of Detroit.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Move the Colloquium up to February and hold it in Anaheim (or have the Winter Intensive there). Those of us from California will understand.... ;-)