eerily similar? the summons and yellow submarine
  • francis
    do you hear the similarities?
  • CharlesW
    I quit using it because of a cantor who dragged it so badly, it sounded like an Irish dirge. She said it had lots of words and singing it slowly made them understood. I said it had one syllable per note. How was that different from anything else?
  • BenBen
    I always though it sounded rather like part of the Veggie Tales Belly Button Song. :D
    Thanked by 2chonak Ally
  • benedictgal
    Of course, one could make the argument that "They'll Know We Are Christians" sounds eerily like "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac, and that "Gather Us In" could flow into the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". ;)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Gather Us In and Hail Mary Gentle Woman tie for being closely related to the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald.
    Thanked by 1madelinececilia17
  • No, I don't.
    And I also don't see a compelling reason to associate a perfectly beautiful melody, KELVINGROVE, with a benign Beatle's song for the purposes of this forum.
    Can we grow up eventually?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    I find the tune sing-songy, but it's the lyrics of "The Summons" that really put me off. They're a song in which we imagine Jesus addressing us: so the congregation is singing to itself for four stanzas.

A search on the net reveals that the innocuous-sounding folk tune originally came with a sad and disturbing lyric.
  • Well, RC, CVStanford obviously didn't find it "sing songy" as he included it in his compendium of Isle's Folk Tunes circa early 20c. I have the book.
    OTOH, I tend to make some distinctions between Bell's co-opting and others, particularly when a "major" personality decides that "Skye boat song" would make a lovely vehicle for a "liturgical" text, presumably because all things Celtic are gold, Jerry, Gold, I'm tellin' ya.
  • GavinGavin
    I personally love the tune. Good material for a hymn? Maybe, maybe not.

My main beef is the speed at which the words fly by. I sang it once, then thought, "I have NO idea what I was just singing about."
  • I'm with some on here - I actually like the tune. But I find the lyrics to be dreadful. I mean, nice pastoral theme, but how many pronouns can one fit into a piece: "Will YOU come and follow ME if I but call YOUR name..." Or from verse 4: Will YOU love the "YOU" YOU hide if I but call YOUR name?" It's like a sentence with quintuple negatives - you're left wondering what it all REALLY means...
  • francis
    aha

i didnt know it was a trad hymn tune and actually had beem composed satb

i just learned it yesterday to the terrible text of the summons with guitar chords

no wonder i had such a negative reaction
  • Francis, "Kelvingrove," is a folk tune with secular texts just like "Kingsfold," "Slane" and "O waly waly" that were collected during the Nationalist-Romantic era by the likes of VW, Holst, Stanford etc. Similar to way "Suo gan" and "Skye Boat Song" have been, uh, appropriated of late.
  • francis
    well the new words are ...
  • yes, problematic.
    But it's popularity has skyrocketed with PIPs, having now the cachet in my estimation of Toolanbread, Hurd's Ubi Caritas, and then the other usual suspects.
  • lmassery
    My favorite sound-alike is "seed scattered and sown" and "Silver and Gold" from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer."
  • francis
    i played the piece for presentation of the gifts sat night and got a response from numerous parishioners akin to the gag reflex so i scrapped it for sunday masses altogether.
  • Which, "Seed" or "Summons?"
    And Francis, why would you do that?
  • ryandryand
    @Charles: LOL!
  • omg Francis, what were you thinking?? lol,,,, I heard they are dispatching the "liturgy police" to your location immediately, with strict orders to issue you a warning not to use such music again in mass, otherwise they would punish you by binding and gagging you, and forcing you to listen to hours of Spirt & Song workshops and clinics. If further violations of the liturgy occur, you would be subjected to full attendance at NPM. LOL!!!! :O)

• CharlesW
    Hehehe ROFL
  • francis
    charles... summons

why would i do what? play it? because this church wants more 'contemporary' music in their repertoire. i also purchased a nice used kawai studio a few weeks ago. you can kick me out of the cmaa if you want.

michael

i just got a copy of spirit and song in the mail today (a bride for whose wedding i am playing had it sent to me)

I am caught in the twilight zone of 'catholic' music out here. i guess this is all punishment for my sins.
  • Maureen
    "Slane" was collected as an Irish religious song tune, though. There are some others that are known, but they're mostly not used. Ironically.

And yes, it was reasonably common to use song tunes as devotional song tunes, back in the day (not that priests were happy about it, necessarily), but people usually picked tunes that were considered neutral or positive. For example, the poet O'Sullivan used "Sean O’Dwyer of the Glen” (aka “Sean O Duibhir a’Gleanna”), “Flowers of Edinburgh” (aka “Blaith Dun Laidir”), “Carolan’s Devotion” (aka “Miss Fetherston”), “Ur Mhic na Croinne”, and “Eamonn an Chnoic” (aka "Ned of the Hill"). Some of those are a bit political in their connotations, but it's not suicide ballads. Others that were used include "“Nora Ni Aille”, “Cois Leasa,” and "An Clar Bog Deil"/"Caiseal Mhumhan" ("The Soft Deal Board" or "Cashel of Munster") which is a love song but one advocating marriage. So....

---

Oh, goodness. I'd forgotten that "Kelvingrove" was "The shearin's no for you." I knew there was another song, but I couldn't think of it.

Good song, but although it's happier than "Waly Waly," it's actually a bit more searing if you take the interpretation that it's her own father (disappointed with her conduct, but not tasking her like the usual ballad father) singing it, instead of the gentler versions where it's her husband happy about the pregnancy. Either way, the song is all about a woman being so pregnant she can't shear a sheep or buckle her shoe.

As opposed to the later one where the couple is roving through beautiful groves and you keep waiting for her to get murdered down by the riverbank, until you realize it's an advertisement for Kelvingrove instead.

Yeah... modern people have some weird, weird taste in hymn tunes. Why don't we just start the Catholic Sex, Murder, and Suicide Ballad Hymnal?

At least use slow airs, folks. Much safer.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    aha... the beatles stole kevingrove!
  • Watch it Francis, don't be messin' with the Beatles. Genius is genius, no heed the genre.
  • CharlesW
    Francis, all you need is love....
  • francis
    call me mean mister mustard if you want... i just call em as i see em!
  • CharlesW
    It was Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a heavy GIA hymnal.
    Thanked by 2Ben Chris Allen
  • F-F-Francis- the colloquialism is correctly rendered, according to a recently discovered epistle by St. Whirlygig's ancestor in the early Church, The desert father St. Mikrocosmos Bartalk of Ephesus, "I calls 'em as I's sees 'em. I'm pretty sure LA and Ecclesia Dei will have my back on this.
    And "Mister Mustard" isn't apropos as well, thou wouldst be Beatle anathema thenceforth known to all as among those deemed "Blue Meanies."
    What sorteth of Boomer art thou, that ye mixeth alliterative board game lexiconary among the fine tapestry of the Fabbeth Firth of Four?

And if anyone's wondering, yes, I do this on the fly. However I don't do children's birthday parties or Bar Mitsvahs. Be here all week.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • DougS
    (And here I thought it was Sgt. Pepper, in the clubhouse, with the silver hammer, and he escaped through the bathroom window...)
  • And they say we "traddies" are a joyless lot!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow! It only takes a tiny mustard seed...
  • TCJ
    I actually don't hear too much of a similarity. There are plenty of hymns (or songs?) that sound just like some popular secular songs though. I can't remember which hymn it is, but one sounds so much like Georgy Girl that I can move in and out between the two flawlessly.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Not that this has anything to do with Yellow Submarine...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
  • CharlesW
    ROFL.
  • francis
    pachelbel' simplest tune gave him a rep he does not deserve. he was in a league close to bach imho
  • Cantate
    One of my favorites is Dan Schutte's "Behold the Wood"....the verses sound like a slowed down version of the Gilligan's Island theme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJafTkopGko
  • CharlesW
    Schutte seems to love that Gilligan's Island theme, doesn't he? Here I am Lord, she's over there Lord... He must have liked The Brady Bunch theme, too.