• We have an accomplished violinist in our parish and I am thinking about having him play some sacred music (eg Franck's Panis Angelicus, the 2 Ave Maria by Schubert and Bach-Gounod) during Offertory or Communion in a EF Mass. I think the 1962 rubrics allow that (?), but I have never seen it being done. What do you guys think?

I've found this book called Sacred melodies for violin solo.

Are the pieces in the book appropriates for the Sacred Liturgy?
  • Lawrence
    It's certainly acceptable to have a violin solo. And as far as that book goes, everything on there looks acceptable save for "The Palms" and perhaps "O Holy Night," which may well recall Nat King Cole for most people, and which, I must confess (and therefore there may be prejudice here), makes my skin crawl;-)

The only times instruments would not be acceptable are during the penitential seasons and during Requiem Masses.
  • paul
    You know, there's a whole lot of music out there that's more interesting to hear on the violin. Especially if your violinist has a friend. Look at some trio sonatas by Telemann. Very accessible organ parts and delightfully composed music that can be played on violins,flutes,oboes or any combination of the above.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I found this interesting because I'm a harpist (among other things) and I would have assumed that straight non-organ instrumentals were verboten at the EF. So that's good news to me, especially because I know that Turlough Carolan (d. 1738) used to play at Masses in Ireland.

At the same time, I'm very cautious about using just any instrumental music, no matter how delightful, in the course of a liturgy. And no, I'm not a "liturgical harpist," whatever the heck that's supposed to be. At a Mass not long ago at the Cathedral-Basilica in St. Augustine, a visiting cello/piano duo played Saint-Saens "The Swan" during Communion. While some found it "soothing," it made me crazy. I kept waiting for the voice of Vincent Price reciting poems by Ogden Nash - the recording we had years ago.

I'd keep it sacred - and that doesn't mean just the warhorses. There's interesting material out there with a "sacred music" sense to it.
  • Jan
    It's important to remember that music has great associative power. Just like the 'jazzy piano playing' reminds one of a cocktail party & a pianist playing the 2nd movement of the 'Moonlight Sonata' at communion (I don't think so. Is someone practicing for their piano recital?). If I find myself marveling at the technical bravura of the soloist, my mind is certainly not on the Mass. (Schubert's Ave Maria at Mass & I'd say "Who's getting married?)
  • Kanon Johann Pachelbel
    The Palms Jean-Baptiste Faure
    Air on the G String J.S. Bach
    Ave Maria Franz Schubert
    Songs Without Words Felix Mendelssohn, Op.19, No. 1
    Sheep May Safely Graze, From The Birthday Cantata J.S. Bach
    He Shall Feed His Flock, From The Messiah Frideric Handel
    But The Lord Is Mindful Of His Own, Aria From St. Felix Mendelssohn
    Panis Angelicus, O Lord Most Holy Cesar Franck
    Ave Maria J.S. Bach - Charles Gounod
    Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring, Chorale From Cantata J.S. Bach
    O Holy Night Adolphe Adam

I'd say that none of these would truly be appropriate for a EF form Mass....but music such as the Albinoni Sonata di Chiesa and others would be...though the words are not sung when the violin plays, all are very well known in the secular word with english lyrics...and the Canon is associated with a secular movie and weddings....the Panis is latin....but written in modern major with 7ths rather than a church mode.

Music must not bring to mind secular events....

Aren't we all glad that I'm not in charge here?

noel at sjnmusic.com
  • My comments are not based on reading documents but on what was standard practice in the 1950's as I remember it. Playing the organ and chanting the Mass daily from the age of 12, using the Rossini Propers and various Ordinaries (I was singing and playing by myself at the daily Masses, so there were no people to have to train...and this was the common practice with daily High Masses....Low Masses were only for Sundays except for the Choir Mass.) and this was based on the restrictions and guidance of the Black list and White List (mainly Black List) which may be downloaded and studied at musicasacra.com

Even so, with the young associate everything was with the organ off in Advent and Lent, but with the Pastor every response went this way: I played I IV I to give him pitch, he then sang Dominus Vobiscum and I then had to play the chords while I sang the response.

Also had to play the chimes during the Sanctus bells...Do Re Mi wait Mi Fa So.....playing the organ during the offertory and communion usually meant chant based compositions or playing out of the St. Gregory Hymnal, especially from the Seven Last Words in there...

noel
  • CharlesW
    As I tell the local "organ reformers" who think music ended with the death of Bach, if you want to live completely in the past, don't go half way. Give up the car, the computer, electricity and modern medicine and be genuinely authentic. I am not convinced there was a golden age of church music that produced works that should be used to the exclusion of everything else. I find that good sacred music was created in every century including our own, by devout people of great faith and ability. But I will take "Panis Angelicus" any day over "Gather Us In."
  • I'm not up on regulations of recent centuries, but it was very common practice to have instruments besides the organ from the 16th to the 18th centuries. There's even some suggestive iconographical evidence that instruments appeared in church during the Middle Ages. I think the real question is regarding what is played. I certainly don't care much which century a violin solo was written as long as the music has sacred connections. A Corelli solo sonata da chiesa is appropriate since it was conceived as music for the Mass, but one of his sonate di camera probably isn't, although it sounds virtually identical at times (there are some important differences, though). Those pieces were written for secular use. In this case, we know the intentions of the music. In others we don't, so we need to be careful. No matter how nice a melody -- and with violin, that's what we are dealing with -- one should find out the original purpose of the work. There may be one person at Mass who knows it and might be a little put off by the selection. If we can't find enough truly sacred instrumental works, there are plenty of modern-day composers ready to fill the void. Our generations must add to the treasury like those who have come before.
  • Here is a link to free pdf's of the Sonatas....

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~tuben/scores/albsvldc/

noel
  • Further thought on my part may make the distinction in what music may and may not be appropriate...at an EF or OF Mass.

My criteria is whether the music will be of any nature that will cause it to stand out and draw undue attention to it during the Sacrifice of the Mass. I have no problem with the Miserere by Allegri being chanted during Vespers....but would have grave reservations about singing it at Mass....which means I would consider singing this on Good Friday....

noel
  • The Allegri would be inappropriate since it is harmonized psalmody and not a traditional add-on to the Mass. Motets are more traditional in that regard.