Here you go musicteacher...the summer choir rant.
  • WendiWendi
    http://cradlestories.blogspot.com/

Well, partial rant. I try not to complain about something without suggesting some solutions as well. A number of which I freely admit I got on this forum.
  • GavinGavin
    I just posted this on my section leader's Facebook wall. Sums up my reasoning.

Seriously though, I'm a staunch advocate of a choir season. Yes, people are tired, and by people I mean ME. If choristers aren't tired, you aren't working them hard enough. And choir is close quarters. Give people some time to stretch a bit, get away, etc. It may not come through here (........) but I'm a bit of a tough person to get along with in real life. Really! So giving people a break from my sardonic, egotistical, intense personality avoids a mutiny.

Besides, just because there isn't a choir during summer doesn't mean there's no music. At my church, I do organ voluntaries at offertory, host guest artists, or put together "pick-up choirs", where I invite anyone to rehearse three Sundays and then sing. Not to mention the high standards I always have for hymns and prelude/postlude.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo tomboysuze
  • Liam
    Your church must be air-conditioned. I am a veteran of big old churches that are furnaces in the summer; after a few bouts with dehydration, I swore off singing in that environment. Nothing is worth that. Even if the Pope himself visits.
  • CharlesW
    My choir is in attendance at Sunday mass during summer, but we only rehearse once a month. We work hard all year and deserve a little time off from rehearsals. Anyone who doesn't like it can stick it in their ear. Granted, some Sundays we are fewer in number. We either sing an anthem that's known to us, or something simpler to sing. Some Sundays we sing mass ordinary, propers and hymns and I play during offertory - or presentation of the gifts, haranguing the congregation for money or whatever we are calling it this week. At our monthly rehearsal, we practice psalms, propers, and whatever else we will sing for the Sundays until the next monthly rehearsal.
  • kevinfkevinf
    No choir in the summer. Its why I am able to post occasionally here. Seriously, I work them and me hard for nine months. They sing all the feast days, the Triduum and anything else I can think of for them to do. They need and deserve a break. My choir folk are all volunteers and they sing wonderfully. But they need a rest.

Plus, they recruit in the summer. They have calling cards and they know to listen for folk amongst the faithful.

And yes, I want the break also.

Sorry Wendy.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If I were ever at a parish where a choir said they wanted to sing all Summer long and would commit to being there nearly every Sunday, I would do a year round choir (at least now while I'm still young and have the energy to do so).

That said, no choir has ever voiced their desire to sing during the Summer.

Most of them want to sit with their families for Mass for a few months before returning. Plus this time "off" gives music directors time to plan extensively for the coming year, study, and take some extra time for prayer and contemplation.

I think the break is a good idea in 80% of situations.
  • I do not advocate a "summer off" because I want time off myself. Quite the contrary. It's actually been more difficult for me to find cantors, rehearse them when they are available, and continue to program music that the congregation can sing with little or no direction. I am not a full-time director and I make little money, so it is quite a ministry and vocation to me. I also have continued our children's choir and give free voice and music lessons during the summer, all gratis. My desire to give the choir time off this year, and this year only, is based on their irresponsibility and lack of dedication in the last year. I asked all of them to take the summer off, pray about their individual part in this ministry and decide if they can furnish the kind of commitment necessary to be good stewards in the fall.
  • WendiWendi
    Guys, I'm sorry if you take it as an attack that I suggest there be decent music in the summertime.

I get the idea of no air conditioning, not every church I've belonged to has it.

I also get the idea of simpler music for dealing with vacationing members. Simpler music also means fewer rehearsals, and therefore additional time for the director to go to the colloquium, plan for the fall and even take a vacation. If you have a choir with a repertoire you could even skip rehearsals altogether and just sing what you know over the summer.

What I don't get is the ATTITUDE that it doesn't matter if the music is crap because it's summertime.

I also don't get the COMPLETE halt to anything having to do with music over the summer, and ignoring the summertime feasts or opportunities to do a little recruiting or choir building, like summer camps, voice lessons or workshops.

Easing up a bit as you all describe is very different from the complete cessation of any choir related anything for three months.

Gavin...I would cheerfully put up with your intense personality to have that kind of summer program going on. Or any kind of summer program.

Musicteacher you are describing exactly what I advocate. Still caring about what it sounds like. Making opportunities to build your music program.

CharlesW...I would give much to have the summer schedule you describe.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • GavinGavin
    "What I don't get is the ATTITUDE that it doesn't matter if the music is crap because it's summertime."

I don't get that either, and I do know people who subscribe to it. Not just with music, but with liturgy, also. I know of churches (usually protestant) that actually DO remove elements of worship, major ones, just because it's summer. The sermons don't seem to get shorter, though....
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think I missed where anyone said they wanted "crap" music during Summer or where they said they didn't care if music was "crap." I must be skipping posts.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • WendiWendi
    Matthew, no-one on this forum said it and I don't think anyone on this forum feels that way.

The blog post is written for the general public and there are sadly DM's out there who do have this attitude. I've worked with a few. I linked to the blog here in response to something musicteacher said in another thread...although I don't know that she realized that my rant would be what it is. :)
  • CharlesW
    My church has air conditioning - it's nearly 90 degrees outside today. Unfortunately, the choir loft is 20 feet above the main floor, and it's hot year-round. It's only visiting musicians who swoon from the heat, since we are all used to it. :-) Yes, I believe in having decent music in the summer, but do put off complicated choir pieces. I simply don't have the voices to carry them. It DOES matter what is sung/played at mass.

Gavin: The sermon expands to fill the time available. That's holy writ. ;-)
  • WendiWendi
    Charles...it's actually metric. How much time do you have available? Take the sermon, double it and add thirty. :D
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    Seems to work that way, doesn't it?
  • I don't think any of us was suggesting a complete cessation of music over the summer, or instrumental only. And, yes, I knew exactly what the "rant" would be, although I certainly don't agree. Of course, I agree that there are some DM's out there who take this as a "job", and certainly not a ministry. I am following a DM who had that attitude. She came and went as she pleased with me to pull up the slack all the time in her absence, allowing choir members to do the same. As a result, when I took over I knew it would be an uphill battle to try and change a 10-year mentality of mediocre, "whatever happens, happens" music ministry. I've struggled for a year now, and that it why I felt a need to disband for the summer (although, as stated, I continue to have cantors and children's ministry). I am also the lone musician and play 4 masses every weekend, despite my designation as a "part-time" employee.

I think it's imperative for everyone to understand that this is a public forum, and, therefore, consists of many different people with many different backgrounds, and our congregations and choirs are full of many different personalities. As DM's, we are responsible for providing the best music possible in whatever arena the Lord has assigned us. Whether that means a huge Cathedral with a huge choir, or a small, down home church with a lone musician, I doubt the Holy Spirit is going to prefer one venue over another if the hearts are right.

Please understand, too, that not everybody is able to afford the Colloquium or other resources available, either because of personal finances or church finances. That does not mean we do not care about the music nor our people. As a friend of mine just reminded me, "The Lord does not called the equipped, but rather, equips the called". And if equipping the called means having to disband a summer choir because that choir does not have the right attitude, then so be it. God bless all of you who do not have to share in my frustrations.
  • chonakchonak
    The sermon expands to fill the time available.

In physics, we learned that if a substance expands to fill the space available, it is considered gaseous in nature.

:-)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Wendi, I totally appreciate your rant! However, after volunteering for 25 years in RCIA, 15 years in choir, and 6 years as director, I've really come to appreciate seasons. Especially some summer downtime. That break is essential for volunteers to refresh and reinvigorate. Without that, RCIA would have burned me out in 3 years.

I view this like the wake/sleep cycle. It doesn't LOOK like anything is happening, but it is.

Our challenge is to have summer music be simpler, but just as meaningful in the liturgy. This group here totally gets the concept and has great ideas.
  • WendiWendi
    Our challenge is to have summer music be simpler, but just as meaningful in the liturgy. This group here totally gets the concept and has great ideas.

You just summed up my entire thought process in two sentences.

Let me say again, the people on this forum are not the people the blog post was directed at. The very fact that you are taking the time to post here says volumes about how you approach your vocation in sacred music. The blog post was directed at the people such as Musicteacher's predecessor. People who punch a clock and do the minimum for the paycheck.
  • Liam
    One thing I like to engage from the pews during the summer is purely a cappella music (for the entire Mass). For some reason, it just feels cooler to sing in this way; it has a certain spaciousness that is welcome in the heat. The ordo, the psalm and hymns (and/or propers). It also get us past the idea that a cappella music is Lenten or penitential.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Liam--a couple of weeks ago we lost electricity in the church....no organ...no mics, no lights.......later on people e-mailed me to say how beautiful the music was because of its simplicity.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • gregpgregp
    Just for a totally different perspective, we sing all year round, and never break for summer. I don't think anyone has ever asked about it. Partly it is because we sing for an EF Missa Cantata every Sunday, and there is no organ. Also, singing the propers every week tends to get to be a habit. We've been doing the Gregorian Communions for 3 years and the Introits for 2, and miscellaneous Offertories for 1, so they are becoming familiar. Also, for the past year we were in a chapel right on the Pacific Ocean, so air conditioning was not so much of an issue. ;-)
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    A chapel off the pacific ocean, gregp? Is there a view? Nirvana....

Since I can't sleep, I might as well ramble on for a paragraph or so... I think a choir season is essential - people are tired and over the summer, the choir starts to miss singing. That, in itself is worth its weight in gold.

But, of course, the liturgy must be cared for.

I like to treat summer as a time to step up the music in a way, tho, by finding a few friends (often my h.s. students) who just love to sing motets and call them the "Summer Schola" or something. Then I build a beautifully sparse series of liturgies around 10 or 12 motets that are appropriate, add the propers, psalm and an entrance, communion and recessional hymn and repeat it for each Mass on Sat/Sunday.

I agree with Liam wholeheartedly. People love a cappella masses. In one parish where I had a good size choir, the Pastor abruptly stopped paying our organist when they hit a financial meltdown, so the choir sang a cappella for over a year and the people actually loved it. AND, the choir really improved. My plan for the whole year is to do the 8:30 a.m mass a cappella, because the parish cannot afford to pay an organist for that.

@ Musicteacher56 - same thing happened to me at my mother's funeral. I was directing the parish choir in which my mom had been my alto section leader for 13 years. (no one else was going to do her funeral but me!) During the gospel alleluia, the sky turned dark, there was a huge crack of thunder and the power went off in the neighborhood. I was stunned for a moment, then one of my sopranos whispered, "just keep singing" - so we did. We did the entire mass a cappella and as we sang a deacon went around lighting all the candles on the altar and every candle in the church. It was the most beautiful, moving funeral anyone had ever attended in that church.....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    I love the organ but sometimes a well place power outage is a good thing.
    Thanked by 2marajoy CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    We take a break for the summer. I go away many weekends for the summer with my family. My husband is a teacher, so we have the time and take advantage of it. Our parish is never without an organist and cantor though. He is very dedicated and always finds a substitute. I admire the parishes that continue through the summer. I feel that my choristers really do need a break. Our summers are so short and the choristers would much rather go to an earlier mass on Sundays in the summer; 11:30 mass cuts the day in half and they do this for ten months of the year.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm beginning to think I wrote the blog post with the wrong emphasis...I don't have any problem with the idea of the regular choir getting a vacation, but that seems to be the major take away by people here.

I do have a problem with the attitude... "we don't have to sing the Propers all summer, the four hymn sandwich is fine, we can skip the summertime feasts, it doesn't matter because after all it's summertime."

Not that I think anyone HERE has that attitude, but there are people that do, and that attitude scandalizes me.
  • Just wondering how many of you are in parishes where Assumption is considered a "summer" feast. We are already back in school by mid-August, so everything has reconvened and the masses are back to normal.
  • Liam
    In New England, schools don't open until the week before or after Labor Day (used to be uniformly after, but ed reform means more diligence in not letting snow days wipe out a week of days not made up, so that's gradually forcing the starting of school the week before Labor Day in places). In my area, schools are only out this week or next.
  • canadashcanadash
    I understand what you are saying Wendi. I was just letting you know what we did and why. It's funny, b/c where we vacation and go to mass, there is rarely music! And yet, I would love to see what another parish does and be "fed" when I am away. I would hope that vacationing means that we are still attending mass, just somewhere else!

BTW, last summer, the first time we celebrated the Feast of the Assumption in my home parish, I did reconvene my choir.
  • The choir at my church does not sing as a group during the summer and I am glad for the respite. I, too, use the time for research, for seminars, for planning, and rejuvenating. And I am sure the choir members appreciate the break. They work hard through the season and a break is very welcome. Someone once said to me that they didn't see why the choir took time off - after all, Jesus didn't. To which I responded - ''that is the wrong terminology. Jesus did not 'take time off', but He did withdraw many times - to quiet places - to pray, to rejuvenate. Doing that is not 'taking off', but fulfilling a need to be able to perform ministry even more thoroughly and completely. Everyone needs that replenishment time."
  • CharlesW
    As I have indicated before, the choir doesn't take time off on Sunday, there are just fewer of the members in attendance at mass. We cut rehearsals to once a month. I haven't taken a Sunday off in over 4 years.
  • JahazaJahaza
    "I do have a problem with the attitude... 'we don't have to sing the Propers all summer, the four hymn sandwich is fine, we can skip the summertime feasts, it doesn't matter because after all it's summertime.'"

I think that's completely OK.

I'm the MC for a Mass every Sunday at 9 AM that is usually an Organ/Cantor TLM Missa Cantata. We have an 11 AM Novus Ordo Mass that is usually Organ/Choir (with lots of propers, a Latin Ordinary, etc.). Our musicians take August off... they don't get any other vacation... we have Low Masses (both forms) with no music at all. We scale back the number of servers and

Not every Mass has to be a High Mass. The Church has Low Masses for a reason! Every couple of years, we talk about putting together a summer schola (and one year we had one). But it's the same people who put a lot of effort in the rest of the year... everyone needs a break. Heck, a lot of our congregation is out of town (lots of people leave NYC on the weekends during the summer.)
  • GavinGavin
    I think one SHOULD relax the music during summer. I've been known to just do hymns during the summer too, but I get bored with that rather quickly.

But I don't get why people would relax the Assumption. People love Marian feasts! And it's nice to be able to come back for a bit and do something big. 3 months of doing "nothing" (and who says hymns, responses, prelude, postlude are "nothing"??) is a bit much for me!
  • Liam
    Ah, relax. Just don't forget more inner life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfEQLArOW7Y
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • CharlesW
    Hilarious! ROFL. Canadian Mist is also relaxing. :-)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Woodford Reserve Double Oaked :-))).
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • Carl DCarl D
    I mentioned this discussion at our Schola's party last night, and it spawned a good discussion. A Priest (yes, who's a great singer) remarked that viewing this as a vocation (vs job or hobby or activity) would lead one to being OK with having it be full-time and integrated into your life. We don't take a vacation from marriage, do we?

Thought provoking!
  • CharlesW
    I take statements about vocations from priests and religious with a grain of salt. These are often people who don't do their own shopping, cooking, or laundry. Others care for them and handle housing, insurance and other goodies for them so they don't have to worry about any of our routine tasks. Yes, they can devote themselves full-time to things. Thanks to the efforts of the support people, they have full-time to do it.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • I did a post at the Cafe somewhat premised upon alliterative "co-" words. In that vein I've noticed among the major lit blogs we allmostly visit there seems a COnvergence of opinion that is, at the least, suspicious generally about "clericalism," and in some places openly disdainful of the "princely life" of priests and bishops. And, in full disclosure, I've done my fair share of carping.
    But I am really concerned about how pervasive the stereotyping of our priests as either divas or doofuses is becoming in all the public squares of the net.
    Kill the Eucharist, kill the Church. Immobilize the priesthood, disable a sacramental culture. To conquer, divide.
    We know that the Enemy cannot prevail, but IT doesn't know that. So it persists in little, petty but insidious ways.
    I thought of this homily while driving across the state yesterday, and an exchange with some of our colleagues at Catholic Sensibility. Patent it if you want.
    UNITED WE KNEEL, divided we stand.
  • CharlesW
    I don't think priests are either divas or doofuses, with a few exceptions, of course. However, my own observation in dealing with them, is that they can be out of touch with the world where the rest of us live.
  • Wasn't even thinking of you, brother Charles, as I typed my post. Really. I got what you were saying. There's just a lot of animus out there, it can be cut, and so can we be flayed. We're good, CharlesW, seriously.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't take anything you said personally. And I don't read the Cafe, so I wouldn't have seen your posting there.
  • Love, love, love....bumpa dumpta dum
    Love is all ya need, love is all ya need.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Sure, other people are always out of touch with MY reality. It's the nature of the human journey. But I'm also intrigued by the observation that our culture has lost the sense of covenant and vocation. There's almost no sense of permanent commitment.

It saddens me.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I am currently wrestling with this decision. I am a first time parish music director and I'm not sure how I want to address this. In regards to singing a cappella music, my choir had been doing unison music during the ablutions, always accompanied. I've recently started them on simple two-part songs, unaccompanied. We're doing our first one this weekend, and another one next weekend. Hopefully, we can begin doing more music like this in the future.
  • Our full choir sings through the first Sunday of July, transferred Solemnity of the Most Precious Blood. From then until the Labor Day week-end, the full choir rests. Section leaders sing the Missa Cantata at 10:00 AM. A Festival Choir, composed of the different
    choirs of the parish get together to sing a High Mass for Our Lady's Assumption. A few days before, we have a choir supper followed by a good rehearsal. On 15 August, we
    gather for a warm-up an hour before the Mass. The Thursday after Labor Day, we begin full rehearsals again.
  • WendiWendi
    You know, I wrote this when I was still just a choir member. Since then I've graduated to choir director and upon review, I'm pretty much standing by my original opinion.

While the music can be simpler (no orchestral Masses for instance) the summer Sundays in Ordinary time should have the same standards of music that the rest of the year does.

I asked our parish choir as well as the organist for the Mass I'm responsible for, and they all agreed that we should continue to sing the Mass through the summer with the full choir.

In fact several suggested that this would be a great time to work on building a choral repertoire, since we don't necessarily have to sing something elaborate regularly-and chanting the English Propers is reverent without being time consuming to learn.

We're working on two pieces by the incomparable C.H. Giffen at the moment, with a whole list of things we want to learn by the time school starts back up in the Fall.

The one thing we are doing that I think makes a difference is that we have a sign out book, so I know who will be gone when, and I also let everyone know when we will be singing a particular piece. That way people can come and go on vacation without the music falling apart, and I don't show up on a Sunday expecting a full loft and planning a polyphonic piece...and then see only two or three people instead of a full loft. I'm not a big fan of that kind of surprise.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    My men's schola continues through the summer. They enjoy the weekly get-together and took exception last summer when I suggested we take time off.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We treat the summer as if it were the rest of the year, sans rehearsals. Schola/Ensemble...they show up, we sing, including propers and anthems/motets.
    WE ARE FAM I LEE, ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND ME....
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • tsoapm
    I can’t even remember our last rehearsal; I do remember it had to be skipped three weeks in a row, and the last communication I have from the choir is another cancellation on June 22. What a year: I miss the choir and my 5 year old misses music at mass. This is in Italy.