Theodore Marier PIUS X HYMNAL
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    hello!

Is this online? Theodore Marier PIUS X HYMNAL

Or would somebody be willing to sell me a copy?
  • JMO,

You can access it here

Marier was the director of music publishing at McLaughlin & Reilly Co. in 1953 when the hymnal was published, but it's not quite accurate to call it the Marier Pius X hymnal. There were others on the selection committee.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Liam
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have a copy, tattered, broken-spine, well-used edtion of the Pius X Hymnal salvaged from "traditional" music resources being tossed back in the early 80's. It's a treasure that I would never wish to part with, even in its dilapidated state.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The hymnary.org site only has the indices to the first lines, no music or texts.
  • Ted
    They occasionally pop up at used book stores. Amazon has a few:

http://www.amazon.com/Hymnal-Tenth-School-Liturgical-Music/dp/B000IFQ1QY

as does Alibris which is offering some discount this month:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=pius+X+hymnal&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0
  • Sorry for assuming the hymnary.org site offered more. If anyone wants a particular selection from the hymnal, I will scan and send it to you.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It is a very different sort of hymnal... I have about a dozen copies of what I believe to be the choir edition and one organist edition... was their a congregational version? If so, what did they do for the polyphony? There's a lot of it for a hymnal.
  • TCJ
    I have the organist's edition of the Pius X hymnal. The pastor of the church I used to work for didn't want it, so I gave a donation and took it. I wanted to get a hold of it before someone looked at it and pitched it because it was pre-Vatican II. Now that I look back, I wish I'd have asked for the few choir editions that the church had, too.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am aware of the Amazon $68.00 version, but hoping somebody here would sell for less. I'd rather have the organ edition than the choir.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Last night, October 17, there was a Mass at St. Paul's, Harvard Square, Cambridge, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Ted Marrier's birth; he conducted the Archdiocesan Choir School from this location for many years.

Actually, there were three editions of the St. Pius X Hymnal: (1) organist; (2) singer's (which included many accompaniments; and (3) a brief (paperback) congregational edition. I have some extra copies if anyone is still looking for them.
  • I would ABSOLUTELY want a copy! jeff@ccwatershed.org Thanks!
  • Heath
    I would be glad to have one as well. satb98@yahoo.com
  • rollingrj
    I have a copy (choir edition), rescued from the music director's office (a walled-off section of a large upstairs storage area of the church). It was the only copy left from my parish; I just couldn't bear to see it abandoned. Perhaps it will be inspiration for a composition or two.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I would love to have the Organist Edition, to go with my tattered copy of the Choir Edition which was rescued from items destined for the scrap-heap of a malapropriately named and entrenched "Folk Mass" group.
  • TCJ
    If you have a copy of the choir edition, I'd really like to have one. I rescued the organist's edition from my old parish, but I didn't get any of the choir editions they had. Getting one of them would make my "collection" complete for that anyway.

Please PM me with information on it if you can. I'm going out of town in a couple of hours and won't be back for two weeks, so I won't be able to respond for awhile. Thanks!
  • Fortunately, our parish choir purchased a set if them well over 50 years ago. A fantastic resource. We sing from them all the time.
  • The St Pius X hymnal and the "NEW" St Basil Hymnal (1958?) are fantastic resources of the best music of our Catholic tradition. They still stand tall today.