Organist martyr from Cristero War
  • Maureen
    Seeing as there's currently a movie out about the Cristero War and its martyrs (For Greater Glory), I was looking up more info about the various saints and blesseds.

It turns out that one of the martyrs canonized in 2005 was a church organist and tenor, who turned down the chance of an opera career because he felt his voice was dedicated to God's use alone. He also was a husband and the father of ten children. He went to pay his respects to the body of Bl. Anacleto Flores, and the police took an interest since he had two brothers who were priests. He and his non-priest brother Salvador were arrested, tortured, beaten into unconsciousness, then woken again and interrogated. Huerta responded by singing, "O long live my Christ, O long live my King!" Then they beat him until his voice was gone and he could not sing or speak, and then he was shot by a firing squad at dawn the next day, right next to his brother. His wife heard the shots, and not knowing who had been killed, she called her children together to pray the Rosary for whoever it might be. It was April 3, 1927.

Blessed José Luciano Ezequiel Huerta Gutiérrez, pray for us!

Here's a picture of him, suitable for printing and hanging in organ lofts. A dapper man with wonderful mustachios.

UPDATE: I went and looked on Spanish sites, and it seems that the specific song was the "Himno a Cristo Rey," aka "Que viva mi Cristo, que viva mi Rey." Here's a Youtube video with one guy and the lyrics, and here's one from a Mexican church. It was closely associated with the Cristeros, and sounds like the kind of thing that would be great to sing to irritate torturers. :)

Here's his Spanish Wikipedia entry, with tons of info. It turns out that he also led treble choirs. Also, during the Cristero troubles, he actually had an entire community of Carmelite nuns staying at his house, because the government had shut down their convent. Fortunately, his wife was some kind of organizational genius.
  • Maureen
    Holy cards!

And there are three books by a family member, Dr. Jorge Huerta Wilde, about the martyr brothers and other family members: Una Cancion para las Balas (A Song for the Bullets), Una Lampara para las Balas (A Candle for the Bullets -- about Salvador), and Sangre de la Martir (Blood of the Martyr). There's also a third book by a niece of Salvador's, Los Beatos Martires de la Capilla de Jesus (The Blessed Martyrs of the Chapel of Jesus -- where several local martyrs are buried), by Maria Guadelupe Alatorre Huerta.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • francis
    o this is just too good! i am framing a holy card and putting it on the organ. he will certainly interceed for our cause of musica sacra.
  • Thanks, Maureen! There are some folks in our parish who have parents and grandparents who were involved in the Cristero wars. The memory of the martyrs is alive.
    I did not know about Huertas Gutierrez. I'm sure our organist will be interested in his story as am I.