Alleluia at the end of the "Ite" versus at the end of Introit, etc.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Today for the first time our men's schola sang for the EF Mass held at our parish on the third Saturday of every month at 8 AM. Previously, it had been a Low Mass with vernacular hymns, which we then changed to Missa cantata with me as cantor singing the chants.

I was thrown for a bit of a loop when talking to the celebrant this morning, when we were discussing which Ite he would sing. I asked if the "alleluia" at the end was included and he and the deacon both said no, that we were past Ascension and so the alleluia was omitted, and would only be sung one more time on Pentecost.

When we prepared the chants (today was the Feast of St. Peter Celestine, Pope), I had the schola learn the "alleluia" at the end of the Introit, Offertory and Communion, but given what the celebrant said about the "alleluia" at the end of the Ite, I decided at the last minute to eliminate them from the chants.

I thought that the T.P. indication in the chants meant that the portion marked thus was to be sung if it fell within the scope of Paschaltide generally, with no distinction made between Sundays, feast days and ferias from Easter Sunday through Pentecost inclusive. However, in the PBC, the Ite had an indication that the "alleluia" portion is sung from the Easter Vigil through Easter Sunday inclusive only and gives no further direction.

Long question short: what are the rubrics for the application of the "alleluia" (marked T.P.) at the ends of the processional chants and for the Ite; are they different?
  • WGS
    For the E.F., the "Ite" and "Deo gratias" with the "Alleluia, alleluia" is repeated throughout the octave. That is from Holy Saturday through Easter Saturday (eight days).

The "Alleluias" marked "T.P." or "P.T." are sung throughout Paschal Time which ends with the Saturday after Pentecost.
    Thanked by 1David Andrew
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    That's what I thought, and that's what I was afraid of.

We should have sung the alleluias.

Nuts.

Live and learn.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Although it wasn't in your question, for others who might be interested, for the OF, the "Ite" and "Deo gratias" take "alleluia, alleluia" from the Easter Vigil to the Second Sunday of Easter (inclusive), and once more on Pentecost.

"Alleluias" marked "T.P." are sung up to and including Pentecost, but no later (since in the OF calendar, there is no Octave of Pentecost and Ordinary Time resumes the day following Pentecost).