Translating prepositions
  • Hey, folks:

If we are to live up to Jeff Tucker's desire that this forum be a place where tyros can come and get information, the fangs gotta get retracted somewhat. I have discovered on other blogs that this one has a reputation for obscurity and aggressiveness.

Can we declare a moratorium on arguments over how to translate prepositions? I read five langauges and teach Englsih grammar, and perpositions do NOT translate ligterally, In fact, their usages is completely arbitrary and irrational. English has :"in the sun," Italian "at the sun,' but both are figurative: we mean in the sunLIGHT." I just hand my students a list and say, "Have fun memorizing." It's not worth testing on. They have to pick it up as they go along.

Concepts like "period within which" and 'proper to" can be renedered every which way, so how you want to translate something like "de" falls withint a pretty wide range. And translations from our bishops, for better or worse, are normative.

So, please, fewer squabbles on prepositions. Some time ago, I posted a video I thought was lovely with a caption, and off we went on "of" or "during" Lent. ?How about the intial reaction being, "Hey, great video. Very helpful."

Just a thought.