what is the gospel acclamation verse for Confirmation?
  • francis
    thnx in advance!
  • MairiMairi
    I took the following from the website of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe (http://www.archdiocesesantafe.org/Offices/SacramentalPolicies/09.07.ConfirmationLiturGuid.pdf)- I would also look in the lectionary, if you have access to one, and ask whomever is the Director of Liturgy in your diocese- You can probably look up Chancery staff and find him/her.

THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION LITURGICAL GUIDELINES∗
    The following guidelines are intended to assist parishes in preparing the Rite of Confirmation Within Mass. The rite, with its prayers and instructions, is to be followed for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation. If in doubt, please call the Office of Worship. The English text for the rite may be found in The Rites, Volume One; the Spanish text for the rite may be found in The Rite of Confirmation – Bilingual Edition available from USCCB Publications.
    According to the Confirmation ritual, the readings may be taken in whole or in part from the Mass of the day or from texts for Confirmation in the Lectionary and listed in the Rite itself. On Easter weekdays except the first week after Easter, the reading may be taken from the Rite (Ritual Masses I. 4. Confirmation #764-768). On Sundays and solemnities, the readings of the day must be used. If in doubt, call the Office of Worship.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Chuck Giffen alert! Satire for the next .5 mile.

We used to consult this quandry with a hippie couple who lived in a teepee that started a Charismatic Prayer base community. She is prone towards glossolalia, which we've treasured as a useful charism and for which we've tried to document her phonetics as accurately and faithfully. He, OTOH, had the charism of interpretatiion of various tongues, especially after the ritual passing of the pipe. We tested him once, taking him to a viewing of the Exorcist, and we forwarded his decoding of the possesed character's utterances to William Peter Blatty, the author was astounded! As they both got older, her diction suffered and his hearing became terribly impaired; he kept repeating "come out to show dem" like a broken record after his wife would mutter anything. This turn was more devastating on our DRE, as the unique singularity of an inspired gospel verse seemed more inspiring than recrafting invocations to certain saint's names during the moaning of the Becker Litany of the Saints.
    So we toss a coin: heads: we chant "Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love;
    Tails: "Ev'ry time I feel the Spirit movin' in my heart i WILL PRAY!"
    I once blithely suggested to the Liturgy politburo to consult RESPOND & ACCLAIM's index of verses, and I was bleated down quite vociferously.And told I needed to go to the LAREC at least once every five years. Or a World Youth Day final Mass.

Y'all still want me to come to SLC? I clearly have some issues, don'cha think?
  • francis
    Charles

You are a one of a kind.

I have lost my lectionary in my ungodly wreck of an office, and my office is 16 x 48, so it's actually a megawreck. We have teepee's here in Wyoming, but we call dem Yurts. I could consult the liver in a yurt, but the closest yurt is way outa town, and I don't know if any of the yurt livers are even worth the effort. There are a ton of lectionaries upstairs in the sacristy and in the church, but I THOUGHT this would be an easy question to answer without having to walk upstairs. Gospel Acclamation Verses always seem to escape me. And then, I don't know if any of them have been affected by the new translation. No? Yes? ...and it's not in my Ritual Book from WLP which has every blasted GA EXCEPT Confirmation... what gives!?

So, yea, I am very interested to come to SLC because I clearly have your issues.
  • Paul F. Ford
    64. Alleluia Verse and Verse before the Gospel

1. John 14:16
    The Father will send you the Holy Spirit, says the Lord,
    to be with you for ever.

2. John 15:26b, 27a
    The Spirit of truth will bear witness to me, says the Lord,
    and you also will be my witnesses.

3. John 16:13a; 14:26b
    When the Spirit of truth comes, he will teach you all truth
    and bring to your mind all I have told you.

4. Revelation 1:5a, 6
    Jesus Christ, you are the faithful witness, firstborn from the dead;
    you have made us a kingdom of priests to serve our God and Father.

5. Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful;
    and kindle in them the fire of your love.

6. Come, Holy Spirit;
    shine on us the radiance of your light.
  • francis
    thanks paul

do have a preference?
  • Andrew Motyka
    I'd find out what they're using for the Gospel, and choose from the options from there.
  • francis
    thanks andrew
  • Marc Cerisier
    We always use #5 here (and the psalm for Pentecost, also).
  • francis
    Yea, I have usually used 5 too. Probably will again.
  • MairiMairi
    #5 is the one I've heard most commonly, and which we use.
  • francis
    ha! found it in the wlp (pentecost) but they changed the text.

It reads

Come Holy Spirit fill the hearts of THE faithful.

I thought it was YOUR faithful.

Anyone else run into this issue?