Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles
  • Anyone got any copies of the ©1974 version of the Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles, organ edition, that they might be willing to sell??

That and perhaps Music for the Order of Mass for Celebrant and Congregation, organ edition??
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Michael,

Since you have posted about this, I feel that the same people who E-mailed me will also E-mail you and send a PDF copy. The book is out of print. However, you might want to include your E-mail to make it really easy on them.

In Christ,

JMO
  • Liam
    Just note: I doubt there is a PDF of the *first* edition requested, from the 1970s. I actually have the choir/organ copy of that, which I purchased used, as it's part of my collection of Ted Marier hymnals (including Cantus Populi and the Pius X Hymnal) that I've gradually gathered over the years to trace permissions and the evolution of his approach to liturgical music at the parish. The PDF that has circulating samizdat-like is from the more expansive *second* edition from 1983 (second printing, which reflects some corrections; I currently actively use this because my choir still sings from this).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Hi Guys,

Yes, I am aware of the PDF files, thank you for the offer. I do already have them. I was hoping to find the older ©1974 version of HPSC. It seems to be even harder to find than the 1983 version.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Michael, I apologize for my error. Regarding the earlier version, some of it was hand-written, or am I wrong?

By the way, the 2001 article on Marier said this:

http://musicasacra.com/publications/sacredmusic/pdf/sm128-3.pdf
  • Liam
    It's not entirely typeset, if that's what you mean. The 1983 edition was engraved and photographed, et cet.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • HPSC '74 has typewritten text, and musical notation in Marier's own hand.
    Thanked by 2Ragueneau tomboysuze
  • Liam
    That is a segment from the second edition (1983).
  • Thanks for the links, I do have the Marier PDFs. I was looking for the ©1974 version, which is not scanned to my knowledge.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate everyone's response. If someone does pop up, and wishes to sell an extra copy of the 1974, please message me. Thanks.
  • G
    I am not near her, but have a friend who has what I believe might be the edition being sought - is this something she ought to donate, which could be cannibalized and scanned? is it even pulic domain?
    And to whom would she send it?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Liam
    It's not public domain.
  • JennyH
    It's not public domain.

Actually, having examined it, large parts of it are public domain.
  • Liam
    Jenny

I was talking about the book as a whole. The parts that use public domain texts and tunes are, as with any hymnal, public domain, but there is an awful lot (accompaniments/harmonies for most of the service work and almost all of the psalter, for example) and many melodies for the service music) that is (i) created by Dr Marier and John Dunn and other credited authors, and (ii) the engraving, as it were, is also not public domain. Et cet.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    "Actually, having examined it, large parts of it are public domain."

This is true ... and the book is also out of print.
  • Liam
    But out of print does not make it public domain. Just sayin'
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • dad29
    I would send you mine--but it's autographed by Marier.....
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • chonakchonak
    Some of the harmonizations and psalm settings were originally published by major music publishers (e.g., Oxford), and they quite possibly would object to reproducing their material without buying the rights.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • rich_enough
    Don't know where you are, CB, but perhaps you could borrow or at least inspect a copy at a library. WorldCat has a listing of libraries with copies (though records for the various editions seem to be conflated, unfortunately).
  • If anyone has any information on how I could purchase or obtain a PDF copy of this hymnal, could you please private message me? Thanks.
  • bonniebede
    I too would like a look at this hymnal if anyone has a pdf.
  • PhatFlute
    phil has heard of the hymnal hspc before, try a library,

ph
  • chonakchonak
    Someone has put a copy on-line at Scribd, so some of it may be viewable (Scribd has become more restrictive about what you can view for free):
    https://www.scribd.com/nicholasjordansherwood8993