• CBlondo
    We are planning a holy hour with devotions to our Blessed Mother, in conjunction with the anniversary of the apparitions in Fatima and the month of May. Our priest would like to sing the Litany to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Where can I find this in Latin and/or English? We don't want any contemporary choral arrangements, but rather prefer the chant melody or a simpler version of it. Any help? Thanks!
  • From the Liber Usualis...
  • CBlondo
    Thank you, Arthur! I greatly appreciate your help!
  • Do you have this written in modern notation and in English?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I have it side-by-side Latin/English in modern notation. I can post a PDF here tomorrow, or you can send me an email request: smc2003@bellsouth.net
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Here you all go. This is letter-size, bi-folded, with optional opening and closing hymns, and the season/festal Collects at the end of the Litany.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That is very lovely, Steve, but the litany, as engraved, should actually either not have a key signature, or should just have that of a Bb, shouldn't it?

Regardless, I used the English side of this for my pdf file of the centennial celebration of Our Lady of Fatima in our Public Square Rosary today. =)
  • A transcription of chant to modern notation could be in any key signature... just as polyphonic motets and solos are often written in a variety of key signatures. When singing the chant, we make the transposition using a movable DO and changing the key on the fly without thinking about it. When rendering in modern notation, we need to notate the transposition for the singer.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I agree. What I am saying is that it is incorrect with the included key signature.
    Did you look at the document?
  • ronkrisman
    I think CCooze is wanting the modern notation (keeping the same notes as we have presently) to be written with three sharps (instead of two), with all the "G sharps" in the setting being given a natural sign.

While this may be technically correct, it seems to me to be a lot of "clutter" added to the score. I've seen lots of scores where the consistently flatted TI in the score is taken care of by adding a flat or subtracting a sharp, as the case may be, from the key signature.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Ok. I finally figured it out. I had the Litany of the Saints tone in my head..
    This litany is awkward.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Like Corinne I didn't at first remember that this litany is on mi, and had the odd feeling I was looking at a harmony part ;-)