Dress for Mass--Just venting
  • Our children received their First Holy Communion this weekend. We are a small parish and only had a total of 22 First Communicants and they were given the option of what mass they wanted to attend (out of 4). This morning a student of mine (I am DM and also school music teacher) came in with her parents for her First Holy Communion. She was dressed beautifully and it was obvious that her parents had taken a lot of effort in dressing her. The parents, on the other hand, however, wore jeans and flip flops!!! I was mortified. It's no wonder I cannot get my people to see the beauty in plainchant and prelude music written by Mozart.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've seen people go to Mass in clothes I wouldn't garden in. But that just reflects on them. Worse are the young ladies who dress with care...to show as much skin as they can get away with. I'm not young, and happily married... but I'm not THAT old!
  • We live in a small mountain town. We see everything from cowboy boots to hiking boots. We also happen to be right smack in the middle of a National Park, so a lot of the families that come in the summer are in their (best, but rather wrinkled) camping clothes, and the Church quite often begins to smell like campfires.
    I love it, because all of these people could be somewhere else, but they chose to come to Mass.
  • canadashcanadash
    Purple, I must admit that while on vacation I have gone to Mass in "rustic" attire that I would not have chosen otherwise. I attend a great Catholic camp with my children and mass is often in shorts and t-shirts.

That being said, a couple of times a year, when someone is outside their normal routine and doesn't have access to clothes is one thing, but, in my opinion, to be dressed in flip-flops and jeans for your child's First Communion just lets the child know that this is a one time deal. It makes the impression that the "First" Communion is the one time that matters, when every time we receive Christ, it matters. How can one be surprised when at a regular Mass a teenager chooses his t-shirt which has vulgarities strewn across the back and the young woman wears shorts with "babe" written on them. Yes, I'm thankful they are there, but that isn't all they own is it? I'm not saying that they have to be dressed to the nines, but I do think it is the parents' responsibility to teach their children the sacredness and importance of the Mass and I believe wearing appropriate, clean, simple, modest clothing is part of that responsibility.

One day though, I want to come to Mass after a great campfire in the Mountains! Ahhhhh!
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • I've got one to beat all of that. A couple of years ago, I was music director at a very nice parish, that had a great priest, and good liturgical presence, and one day, right before one of the masses, I see one of the Eucharistic ministers, a very attractive young lady, in her early 20's, with high heels that looked like they were hooker heels, and tight clothing on with a shirt that read, "got milk", and she was there to give communion. I just about fell off my chair. I went right to the DRE, a very tough Puertorican lady, who had no idea, and I told her what I saw. Needless to say, that incident never happened again. Funny though, how her communion line was full, with mostly guys, lol.
  • GavinGavin
    I'm always too busy looking at the music or the altar to notice what someone's wearing.

"I love it, because all of these people could be somewhere else, but they chose to come to Mass."

Everytime I'm tempted to judge someone, I think along similar lines.
  • @gavin, I agree in the sense yes, we need to fill the pews, or least give people a chance. More catechism is needed, in teaching others to at least come respectfully to church. If you have ever noticed some of those African American churches, they come in suits, well dressed to church. I definitely salute that! but am very happy to just try to get people into church. On the other note, if you serve in the capacity or a ministry, you should know better, and coming dressed like you could be walking the strip, is certainly not appropriate. Especially when handling the body or blood of Christ. It's hard to miss it when your unfortunately not up in an organ loft, and are out front, watching the communion line.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • canadashcanadash
    Actually, the one time I saw "SEXWAX" on the back of a young man's t-shirt, my then 8 year old son, whom I homeschool, pointed it out to me because the man was the last person in line for Communion. The young lady with "BABE" written on her shorts was standing in the coffee line after Mass. I'm trying not to judge (but aren't we all fallen in some way?), but I homeschool, stay out of malls and avoid buying magazines to keep myself and my children away from this nonsense and yet I go to Mass and am exposed to it. I don't generally notice flip-flops and jeans but it was their daughter's First Communion, so understand Teacher's point of view.
  • WendiWendi
    When I see young people dressed like that...I always have to resist the urge to smack their parents. Most businesses have a dress code...this is the Mass for Heaven's sake!

Our DRE actually spells out a dress code every year for both parents and children. We call it "first communion prep for dummy parents".

Most parents in our parish don't need it, but there are a few that are poinsettia/lilies and don't really get the idea of dressing for the occasion. So we sigh...and pray for a spirit of charity.

• Ally
    I think that appropriateness of dress is a problem in many places. I try not to judge the average people in the pews, mostly they are ok, but occasionally the problem comes up with one of our Extr. ministers of Holy Communion. I wish it were that they were wearing their hiking gear or flip flops but the problem we have is short skirts!!

(PurpleSquirrel - I am really curious where you are because I am from (and have family in) a mountain town just outside a Nat'l park, and we will be visiting in the near future...)
  • marajoymarajoy
    The 8th graders who are getting confirmed at my husband's church are now required to wear red "choir" robes, because they couldn't handle even a dress code...
  • jhoffman
    This was in our bulletin this past week ...

Father Chuck’s Column Bulletin, April 21, 2012

Alleluia! We are in the Easter Season and so still celebrating the triumph of our redemption.

It takes a full 50 days to celebrate this victory appropriately. Alleluia! I was struck by the large crowds we had on Easter Sunday. It was wonderful! I was also struck, especially at the 5:30 p.m. Mass on Easter, at the large number of people who attended Easter Mass in T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. I found that rather disturbing.

Now all people are always welcome to our church, and unless it is truly outrageous or immodest, we are happy to have people come to us as they are dressed. God reads our hearts, not our outfits. God knows one can certainly go overboard on concern over dress and get into not-very-subtle completion over dressing up. I remember one choir director who I worked with in another state who could tell you a week later exactly what each lady in the congregation wore the previous Sunday. I was amazed by such feats of memory, but to me that seemed an over-concern with dress.

There is a significance and meaning to clothing, especially for a big feast – and Easter is the biggest. Dressing up is important. It is part of engaging in the feast. The priest wears special robes, the servers and the choir members don special garb and traditionally the congregation, as participants, would put on their “Sunday best.” Dressing up is part of participating in the Mass.

Going to Mass is NOT like going to a movie, where you are there to watch and hear the action. The members of the congregation at Mass are not spectators, but participants. As participants it helps to “dress the part.” All of us together are doing something special and significant: worshipping the Father, giving thanks through Jesus the Son and rejoicing in the Holy Spirit. Our inner attitude is most important, but it is shown forth and reinforced by how we present ourselves: how we stand, how we sing, how we participate and by how we dress.

I know that when I get dressed up, in my rabbi (a formal priest’s collar) and black suit, or in a white shirt and tie, I feel differently about myself. It is a reminder to me that this is not just plain-old slouch around time, but that I am engaged in something a bit more formal and significant. It affects the way I feel.

Dress helps convey and re-enforce a sense of identity. When I was in Guatemala in January and we went into the uplands around Lake Atitlán, the native peoples largely wore their traditional dress. The Tzutzuxil people are able to afford modern, Western clothes, but they cling to their traditional dress as a way of preserving and holding onto their sense of identity and tradition. No one forces them to do it; rather they do it to maintain their cultural heritage. They value that heritage and so work to maintain it.

Our culture seems impoverished in comparison. We have much, much more in way of material goods than the Tzutzuxil people of Guatemala, but in another way, in culture and identity and appreciation of family, they seem richer. When I see all the people coming to Easter celebration in shorts and flip-flops, it strikes me as an example of cultural poverty. So that is my take on it, and I hope it gives you something to think about.

God bless! Fr. Chuck
  • GavinGavin
    I'll agree that those exercising an office (even an extraordinary one) should try to dress in a manner befitting that office. Or wear an alb, the vestment of the baptized. I recall at a prior church, a man was asked to fill in for an EMHC, and he refused on the grounds that he wore jeans to church. Not at all unreasonable.

But, for your average pew-sitter, I strive not to judge. I wear a jacket and tie every time I go to church, working or otherwise. Why? Because social custom dictates it and because I look really darn good in a suit. (and everyone from here whom I've met just laughed in unison.) There's no holiness to it, though I do like to color-coordinate to the season. It's just clothes. It doesn't make me better than anyone else. If anything, it makes me a shallow show-off. But then, so does overusing the 32' resultant.

The fact is, I sympathize with the OP and those who agree with him/her. I am a very judgmental person. It's a sin. I struggle with it. I have a tendency to look down my nose at those who so much as tie their tie in a four-in-hand knot (blech!!!), and yes, I have uncharitable thoughts when I see someone in shorts or a ripped-up t-shirt. But I know I can do better towards my brethren in Christ. I can't judge someone else's clothing unless I'm myself lacking the clothing of charity.
  • GavinGavin
    I apologize for riding the hobby-horse hard, but all this negativity does not help the cause of dignified music and liturgy.

Has anyone else ever had the experience of not having something "suitable" to wear to church, and staying home out of shame that you might be seen in jeans and a t-shirt? Or just not feeling like dressing up, and so staying home on Sunday? I've had both experiences.

Or there's the time I was exploring Paris in the summer, walked by a beautiful church, and went to pay it a visit. Big sign on the door in four languages: "NO SHORTS." I walked along my way in my clean khaki shorts. I don't think they missed me in there, anyway.
  • I would love to be in a place where it is warm enough that you can wear flip-flops at Easter! (Um, not at Church, though...)

Ally - I'm in Jasper. Alberta, not Alabama. :-)
    Thanked by 2ContraBombarde Ally
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I don't know about all this "don't judge" stuff. If we're going to do good and not do evil, we have to make judgements about what constitutes good and evil in the situation at hand. We have an advantage over some religions in that we don't have to figure out for ourselves what "harms none", but have clear information in Scripture and Tradition; there really aren't many grey areas. Now, we don't want to judge PEOPLE, because we don't know what their situation is or what motivates them. But we're so concerned with being perceived as judging people that often we don't stand up for what's right. Granted, if you mention to somebody the wrongness of an action they're doing, they will probably feel judged. But it's also an opportunity to change behavior.

This is particularly an issue with EMs. Does the priest "wear something cute" when HE delivers the Eucharist? Then why should the ladies? What's wrong with business attire? If the guys are lining up to receive from the hottie, "they have their reward already". And it's not just a personal incitement to sin that this creates; it has the added ripple of discrediting the notion of female EMs (and that's EXTRAORDINARY MINISTERS of Holy Communion, folks, not people serving every Sunday)...which I'm sure is something the ladies involved wouldn't want to do.
  • Maureen
    We have it on good authority that it's dangerous to show up at the King's son's wedding feast without some kind of wedding garment.

It's also dangerous to have your heart not match your garment, of course; but blatantly ignoring the dress specified on the wedding invitation is another thing. You can be poor and still have one decent set of Sunday best. And you can dress down pretty far from suit and tie and still be in the perfectly respectable zone for Mass.

Re: women, it is possible to wear cute business or semiformal attire that isn't an advertisement.
  • There is a Cuban priest at my parish that always tells everyone
    "Pobres pero decentes" = Poor but decent!

I definitely agree with you Gavin, but in respect of that, I will say this, everyone on here is so hellbent on making "good liturgy, gregorian, etc.. etc.." and don't get me wrong, I love it, but my thought is this. You can dress up to go to a wedding, you can dress decent to go to a funeral, you can dress to go to parties, beaches, etc.. etc.., but you mean to tell me you can't be appropriately dressed Sunday after Sunday! I'm sorry. I don't buy it. I realize there are people that have situations, and yet, I have been to some poor places in South America, and yet they seem to manage to make it dressed to be respectful to the most Sacred Mass.

A lot of people on this forum want to save the liturgy by proper music, proper this and that, yet you want to half *** it when it comes to being appropriate to mass. I'm sorry, again I don't buy it. If you can't at least make an effort to dress decent, doesn't mean you have to be in a suit and tie, but decent, then thats flat disrespectful to the "REAL" presence of Christ in the sacrament. In my 32 years, I have gone to mass twice in jeans, and do you know how ashamed I felt. Very ashamed! Knowing I could have done better. I can recognize you being on a trip, and wanting to pop in at a church, perhaps your in shorts. Ok, but Sunday after Sunday your popping with "Babe" "Got Milk" Hooker heels, barely a t-shirt on, flip flops. I'm sorry, again I don't buy it.

I don't sit there and judge those poor souls every Sunday, but they do need more catechises. We should be taught to give dignity to the most precious body and blood of Christ. When I was younger, I remember never even thinking about crossing past the tabernacle and alter, without a showing of respect. Today?!?!? Most people run all over the church, walk past the tabernacle, with no respect, most Catholics don't even really think the host is Jesus in "Real" presence. Its the, yea, yea, sure mentality.

and you want to clean up the music???? Uhhh, how about cleaning up the other elements as well, that detract from a clean liturgy.

I will say, I was very shocked and surprised to see this very beautiful young lady at one of my masses, wearing a veil. She is in her early 20's. I just about fell off the organ bench. One day she approached me to join the choir. I gladly accepted, and had to thank her for renewing my faith that yes, there are still other young people that see the importance of showing Jesus respect in his house.

I'm sorry to come off harsh,, but I just feel that if you want to clean up the house, you can't just do it to one thing, and call the rest of the house "liturgy" clean, without properly devoting time to each element.

God Bless You and Yours!
    Thanked by 3canadash Wendi marajoy
  • Amen! Amen! Amen to you MichaelM! I agree 100% with you. Every aspect of the Church, its liturgies, vestments, flowers, all decorations, how we appraoch the church building which is the House of GOD, our manners and behaviours; EVERYTHING MUST be the best we have AND can offer to GOD! He gave His all and we should strive to do no less in love!
  • I do not agree with the mentality of "just get them in the seats, no matter what". I am certainly not in a position to judge anybody. I cannot, however, advocate people coming to the HOLY sacrifice of the mass dressed in the same manner as they would a fishing trip. I can certainly understand a limited clothes budget, but there is no excuse in my mind for people just throwing on "whatever" to make it to mass, even on vacations. If a woman has blue jeans and a t-shirt, surely she has a skirt tucked away someplace. A man does not have to wear a jacket, but he does have to keep his t-shirts home. This thread began with my thoughts on parents who came to their child's First Holy Communion in jeans with the child dressed beautifully. If they could dress their child, then they certainly have something proper tucked away in their closets. In many cases, it's just a matter of choice based on a very complacent attitude that is being hid behind "well, I'm there, aren't I?"
  • Good morning Abbot,

It is definitely the truth. Just a few days ago, I was speaking to our deacon, whom is a former brother, and left his order to become a deacon, and with hopes to eventually become a priest, and I was proposing the idea of bringing a latin mass to our parish, and how it might be a nice touch to expose the people to such a beautiful rite. While talking we got onto the subject of church attire, and clergy/religious, and one thing we noted was this, when they started making optional, the different vestments, attire, etc... As he put it, we lost one or two brothers a week. Now the nuns don't wear habits, or attire which reflects their vocation, and some priests don't dress with the Roman collar. When all of that went, so did the desire for vocation.

It's simple, when you are a police officer or firefighter, you wear your uniform with pride, when your a businessman, you sport off your expensive professional suits and attire, when you are a priest you should proudly wear your roman collar. The same applies to the Monastic orders, religious priests, brothers, sisters. People want to be identified and feel special about their vocation, career, etc.... It's only natural. People desire to wear their uniforms with pride. It's why some many organizations, military, etc... have disciplined attire, things that identify and signify.

If we clean up those elements, it will bring back that pride, and diginity of place. If we look at church as just another one of those clubhouse meeting grounds each week, than it becomes nothing more special than anywhere else. Pride of place.

Rome wasn't built over night. This all takes time. Are we going to be able to just throw a gregorian mass at the people and expect them to warm up and take to it. No, of course not. It takes time, teaching, catechises, love, and patience. I know most of us would enjoy doing a very pure and beautiful roman rite, but to get their, we have to build up to it. Fix all elements, as you pointed out, the way we approach church entirely.

Currently, I have one mass out of 9, in which I have to do that contemporary music. Do I like it, not particularily, but if I turned cold turkey on those people, and made that mass a roman rite, sung mass. I might as well say good bye to my job, as they would have me run out of there within a matter of days. So what can I do in a situation like that? Well, lovingly throw in "more appropriate" liturgy, little by little, so much so, they barely notice it, till they say, ohhh I just love that chanted Penitential, or we love how you guys chant that Our Father.

Saving the liturgy when it has been this far damaged, takes time, but requires all elements to be restored to their glory.

God bless all, and have a great day!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    He gave His all and we should strive to do no less in love!

That is the best quote I have run across on this topic.

May I spread it far and wide?
  • Yes Wendi, by all means, use it to the glory of GOD. It has been the connerstone and motto that was long ago set and inscribed upon the humble temple of my mind, soul and heart by other loving Christians. In my opinion, it encapsulates the "Sacrifice" and "Sacrificial" nature of true Divine LOVE and the pre-eminant fundamental commandment of Our Lord Jesus - "Love one another as I have loved you!"

PS - I grew up in an extremely poor family. However, my mother always made sure I had one set of nice clothes set aside expressly for the best of occasions; especially church! I didn't care for them, but she said it was just good manners, thoughtful and respectful; to others and to GOD. There are always exceptions and GOD knows this. We aren't perfect but we should simply strive.
  • Thank you, Abbot, for confirming our less than perfect natures as not an excuse for not simply striving. That was my point. If the parents were able to dress the child appropriately, then they should have been dressed, also.
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you Abbot. My husband and I have nine living children and live on one income. We have had some extremely lean years, however, everyone always had one outfit for church. For the ladies always a nice modest dress, for the gentlemen always a suit.

They were worn to Mass and then hung in our closet immediately after.

We did this even when my husband had to make a major career change in his 40's (auto industry to healthcare.) I hung the laundry to dry in the living room in the winter, but we had a wedding garment to wear. For us it was a matter of priorities.

That however was a matter of catechesis. My husband and I both received ours at home from our parents. Which is I believe at the heart of the problem. The baton got dropped in a lot of homes. Which makes this yet another burden to place on the shoulders of the shepherds. Too many parents don't know any better. Just as in Exodus, the fathers must be taught along with the children.

At least that's my two pence.
  • BenBen
    That's exactly it, Wendi. I admit, I've beet to a few Sunday Masses in clothes that were less than flattering (cough cough ...gym shorts and tee shirt...cough cough), but it was in the middle of a long road trip. We all have exceptions, and I don't think anyone but the most hardened dress code warden would turn away people for something like that. But the problem is, most people have the means to wear dress clothes on Sunday, or even have them in their closet already, but don't wear them. Even for those who are not so well off, you can get nice clothes to wear to Mass if you want to.

Seriously, the suit I wear for weddings, holy week events, prom, and even the occasional Sunday Mass was bought at Goodwill, and it looks great. $6.99, if I recall. Certainly not more than $10. And the dress shirt? $3. Tie? about another $3. Even if you skip the jacket and just go tie-shirt-pants-socks-shoes, almost any guy should be able to get what they need for under $20.

There's really no excuse not to dress well. Have a gaming system in your house? You can get dress clothes. Have a fancy cell phone? You can get dress clothes. Do you EVER buy fast food ANYWHERE? You can buy dress clothes...

And another word about Goodwill...one of the seminarians in our diocese really enjoys dressing up (suit, hat, vest, pocket watch, cuff links, you name it), and where ever he goes, he looks sharp as a tack. He recently said he gets nearly everything from good will, to everyone's surprise. So it can be done.
  • TCJ
    Where I work right now, I can barely see the front row of pews from my spot on the organ bench, but in a previous church, the organ was right next to the railing of the loft and it afforded a good top-down view of about 75% of the church. Usually the better dressed people were up in the front and those that wore their beach clothes were more toward the back - right beneath me. Considering my vantage point, it wasn't a good idea to even glance down thanks to some women who failed to wear much in the way of clothing. Yikes!

We may want people to come to church as often as possible, but there still needs to be a standard of decency, and many people have no clue what that is. Ben is absolutely right about cheap clothing. These days, with thrift shops around, it doesn't take a rich person to be able to dress nicely. I think it's more to do with lack of effort and indifference (in most cases) than a person's inability to dress properly.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Where are these people going to vacation that they're not at least going to wear a jacket/shirt/tie (and female equivalent) to go to dinner? A vacation without a restaurant that requires a jacket doesn't sound like much of a vacation...

Just wear the dinner outfit to church.

Or splurge and bring two nice outfits.
  • expeditus1
    Some very good insights have been offered in the posts above. Not to deliberately veer off into the land of weird, but on the subject of church attire, I have personally observed a couple of things which "tripped my creep-o-meter." One occurred at the Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, when a man who appeared to be possibly a rock musician in his late 20's, went up to the Communion rail in his black leather jacket, the back of which had an elaborate, vibrantly-colored, hand-tooled picture of a fully unclothed woman. As he knelt at the Communion railing, it was quite a display. My first reaction was that his intention was to agitate, but as I squirmed in my own discomfort, I entertained the possiblity that this man had just commenced his long journey home.

The other anecdote has to do with cross-dressing men who totter up to Communion in high heels, bad wigs, and facial hair. When you know that they are married and have children, that is a real cross-current. I just plumb run out of excuses at that point.
  • WendiWendi
    Matthewj, When we are rustic camping (The kind without portajohns) I don't bring the boy's suits. They wear Khakis and a golf shirt because those don't need to be dry cleaned. So I can see that exception. The girls and I tend to wear Khaki jumpers with a 3/4 length sleeve t-shirt underneath on those occasions. Again because they are wash and wear.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    At the risk of stirring the pot, why hasn't anyone mentioned what priests sometimes wear under their vestments? I spent several years at a university parish where of course the students and visitors could sometimes be rather - interesting - attired. But I also noticed some of the younger priests offering Mass with feet in well-worn sandals (no socks of course) as well as portions of legs in various shades of flesh and tan (depending upon the time of the year). On more than one occasion, I would see the same priest, but then unvested, with some sort of shorts and casual shirt, working his way through the area where parishioners met socially after Mass. It just made me wonder...
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • It all goes up to the top. If the clergy doesn't set a good example, than why bother, right?

A little off the topic, but in the same court as this is, have you ever noticed that when a priest actively participates in singing, the congregation tends to follow his example? I have been fortunate to work at a few very good parishes, where the priest was not in a overwhelming hurry, hymnal in hand, singing/chanting, and actively participating. Recessional hymns, allbeit, not a "part of the mass", I have noticed that when the priest would stay and sing, a vast majority of the congregation would participate as well.

I have equally noticed that when some priests would hurry up to the altar, no interest in singing, and couldn't wait till your finished, such were his disciples as well. It all boils down to the examples we set, must be set from above, for others to follow.
  • expeditus1
    Absolutely, MichaelM. We have a Monsignor in a neighboring parish who has every reason in the world to keep his musical talents hidden under the bushel basket. He is tone-deaf and his voice is, hands-down, the worst I've ever heard, but I have also never heard another priest who approaches singing of hymns and Mass parts, with more zest and volume than he does. As a result of his throwing himself into it with passion, the rest of the congregation seems to approach singing with the same carefree abandon and enthusiasm - men included.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I love when the priest sings, but Monday night at my choir rehearsal one of the singers actually asked me to ask him not to sing because "that's our job". Where did this mentality come from? The congregation does not sing anything any more...not even the mass parts, because the music "is boring". It's been pretty difficult here, that's for sure.
  • BenBen
    "have you ever noticed that when a priest actively participates in singing, the congregation tends to follow his example?"

You're right! I've never put my finger on it, but you put that really well! At one of my parishes, we have a joke:

When you go to ordinations, you can hear a number of things during the procession:

-The choir singing
    -The organ playing
    -The brass playing
    -The congregation singing
    -Msgr. Holmes singing

And guess what? Combine that with the great choir, all his parishioners sing with zeal!
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • @musicteacher56, the next time one of those smart intellectual choir members, makes a remark like that, let them them know that due to poor job performance, their position has been eliminated. Thanks for your service. lol :O)
  • @Ben Yanke, it's true. I have been to those parishes, and had priests with great voices, and some with, out of tune voices, but when they sing, so does the flock they guide. It's all about the example, and it comes from the top. I was fortunate to have worked for a very wonderful priest, whom was an organist himself, and used the Marier settings before I even arrived, and guess what, the people could have blown the roof off the church. He sang, so did the congregation. If another priest was present, and didn't sing, than there was silence. Simple as that.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I often have trouble following and handling dress codes I like the requirement for choir robes. dont have to worry about looking nice underneath. but the robes do that job. Thanks Marajoy I feel comfortable to be required to wear choir robes as a uniform for mass.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I see one of the Eucharistic ministers, a very attractive young lady, in her early 20's, with high heels that looked like they were hooker heels, and tight clothing on with a shirt that read, "got milk", and she was there to give communion.

This is one of those topics that I never browsed, thankfully. But I can't resist a straight line; if that pulchritudinous young lady had said to me upon dispensing, "The Body of Christ," I'm afraid I would have automatially replied "Not really."
    Thanked by 2canadash Jani
  • Jani
    HAHAHA!!! THAT was funny Melo!
  • kenstb
    I come from a predominantly Caribbean community and the faithful are very careful to dress appropriately for mass. When I was a child, we simply knew that we were supposed to be meeting the Lord, and wore respectful clothing. It wasn't until I went to more affluent parishes as an organist that I witnessed this immodest dress.  There is clearly a lack of catechesis on this subject, and it is the fault of the pastors, who refuse to teach.  

I also wonder if, as people become more successful, they need and respect God less. It seems to me (perhaps wrongly) that the faith seems to thrive in those places where people struggle more and where it is more difficult to exercise ones religion. In central Africa and the middle east, Christians risk their lives to worship together, and they come to church with lots of reverence.  

Thoughts?
  • I have also been forced to wear cassock and surplice for being immodestly dressed at mass. That's tougher to take off than a choir robe.
  • BJJ1978
    As the title of this thread says, "just venting" - I don't think anyone is judging anyone, just sharing stories. I, too, am glad that people choose to come to church no matter how they're dressed, but I don't think there's anything "judgmental" about reminding church goers that they are coming into the presence of God and to dress with care.

I'll share my own story (with humor). One of our Crucifers is a high school student and very active with the youth in the church. He was Crucifer for the Feast of the Presentation, and his Presentation in the Temple this particular Sunday was that his usual sandy blond hair had been dyed hot pink. Hot, neon pink. I don't mean highlights, I mean his whole head of hair. It was a 'bit' distracting even to me as I'm playing the organ and see this out of the corner of my eye. And the fact that he's wearing the white robe draws even more attention to it. This guy is always modestly dressed and groomed well. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from him, so idk if he lost a bet, or what. But I think it's commendable that he takes on the roles that he does in the church, pink hair or otherwise.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    He should have waited until Gaudete or Laetare Sunday.
    Thanked by 2canadash francis
  • But sad since he does not understand the gravity of his responsibility in the act of carrying the Cross...a simple NO from the priest was called for and it is sad that your priest failed to act.

He is to be anonymous carrying the Cross for the entire congregation who, due their number, cannot all carry the Cross. So he takes their place and draws attention to himself instead.

This was a teachable moment and the priest dropped the ball. Sad.