Hiring a pilot. Company has two airplanes in fleet, costing more than 1 million dollars.
  • Hangar facility is said to be first class throughout.

• Just to check, is this an ironic allegory about something in the musical world, or are you actually hiring a pilot?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Where can we send resumes?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I checked, the Vatican doesn't own any airplanes.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Kathy
    Swiss Guard 1?
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • GavinGavin
    If one of those planes is a simulator, no matter how expensive it is, it's not a plane.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Has Armour's potted-meat product gone viral?
  • Ah...didn't know that got posted. Failed to create the post and hit delete....but missed by two keys.

It's distressing to see churches post job listings indicating that they have wondrous pipe organs of great expense, a music program to die for and....even though the organs alone cost in excess of a what a modest two-engine airplane would cost....they want to hire a part-time pilot at part-time wages.

Do you really want to fly on a corporate plane with a pilot who's real job is flipping burgers to keep a roof over his families' head?

Do you want to walk into a hospital that has very expensive diagnostic machinery run by a part-timer? Do they have the time to stay up to date with that profession while running a dog walking business on the side?

Why are the people that are called to create music for sacred liturgy, people who are entrusted with the job of ensuring that the music at liturgy does not distract and, when ever possible, enhance the liturgy expected to be just part-timers?

Why are people more concerned about spending money saving their lives from an airplane disaster than saving their immortal souls?

It's like pink slime in hamburger, another dirty litle secret.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen irishtenor
  • IanWIanW
    Sometimes I regret I saw my music degree as a non-vocational element of a liberal education, then I pull myself together and thank God I don't work for the Church. Data is satisfying and it pays the bills.
  • lautzef
    Thank you, IanW. I actually did not finish my music degree, but changed to something else midstream. I did, however, continue with the organ lessons and practice, which is something that keeps me saner than I would otherwise be.... I also continued to learn about sacred music on my own. I am a volunteer, and so are all the singers at our regular masses. Once in a while I can pay people - usually for a requiem when the family gives money, or else for a mass outside the regular schedule.
    Advantages in being a volunteer include having a freer rein to choose music, serving only at the masses you are interested in providing music for, and being able to live a musical life without weddings:) A huge disadvantage is that local professional singers and music graduate students are generally not available since they are already singing at other churches which can afford to pay them.