Psalm Numbering Table
  • BenBen
    I know that there is two different numberings for the Psalter. Is there a simple table online that allows you to go look up what the correct heading would be for any particular psalm? For example, I'm looking for Psalm 21, so I go in the table, and find this:

Psalm 21 (22)

Anyone know of such a table?
  • Perhaps this one will suit you.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    CPDL also has a list, with incipits. Still to do is the breaking up of long psalms like 119 (118) according to the various Latin psalters. These dont always correspond to the BOCP and I havnt checked that they even agree with each other.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    It would be amazing if such a table exists, but it does not (to my knowledge).

Such a table would need to include the BEGINNING LINES of each Psalm in English & Latin.
  • ryandryand
    What is the reason for the different numbers?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    A printed hardcopy of the Revised Grail Psalms is very clear about the numbering according to both versions.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Maureen
    The traditional Catholic divisions between psalms, and how they are counted, is based on the Vetus Latina version (Jerome was kinda scared to tinker with the Psalms much, so the Latin psalms go way back), which is based on the Septuagint version, which is based on the pre-Masoretic Hebrew text. The line numbers are usually also different.

Jewish and Protestant Bibles go by the psalm divisions in the Masoretic Hebrew text, and they also often figure line numbers in a slightly different way. Most Catholic Bibles today are printed according to the Protestant system, which is a real pain in the butt if you're looking up older citations (or citations by our Pope, who often goes with the Catholic system in his homily stuff).

So there's a certain inherent messiness, but that's why Psalm citations should always be done in dual format if you're Catholic. This often is the case also with books like Daniel and Esther, since many Protestant-styled Bibles leave out juicy bits or print them at the end instead of in their place.

And of course the Latin division and naming of Biblical books wasn't the same, either (Latin counts 4 Books of Kings, which are smooshed together into 2 in modern Bibles). So there's all sorts of fun to be had, when looking for citations.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Protasius
    @Maureen: The four Books of Kings are the two books Samuel and the two Books of Kings in modern bible translations.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen