Hiring a parish music director
  • stpetric
    I am a seminarian preparing a presentation (and paper) for a parish administration course. The subject I've chosen is hiring a parish music director. Seems to me the pastor has to be guided by considerations on three levels:

1) Civil and diocesan hiring and employment requirements.
    2) Artistic ability and knowledge of liturgical music. (This might be demonstrated by education and training; certification; audition; recordings; and word of mouth.)
    3) Understanding of the role of liturgical music to the pastoral mission of the parish. (This latter is ultimately the pastor's responsibility, but obviously a very significant component is delegated to the music director. Therefore, he or she must have a "vision" of liturgical music that is consistent with that of the pastor.)

I have my own ideas about all this, but I'd like to know what your thoughts about it are. What questions should the pastor be asking? What should he be looking for? (Or what should be looking out for?) Has CMAA prepared any guidelines for this process?

Thanks for your help!
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • stpetric
    And how would your suggestions be different for a musically sophisticated priest as opposed to one who is unsophisticated?

Thanks again.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    One tip I give all of my priest/seminarian friends:

After the initial interview/audition, bring back the best group of folks back and have them actually provide music for a Mass.

I've heard great concert organists who could do amazing things during concerts just brutalize the musical flow of the Mass. Have them work with your choir, do a rehearsal on a Saturday afternoon, and then play/direct at the Saturday Vigil. Do this with all of the candidates (using the same choir) for several weeks (one for each candidate). Give them complete free reign, though answer any questions they might ask (i.e. "what Mass Ordinaries do the folks here know?"). Have two or three people (if you have another celebrant, one of them possibly being yourself) fill out a review of how they were lead to prayer during Mass by the music, whether or not anything was jarring or less-than-edifying, how the Mass was more edifying because of the music, etc...

I've been offered so many jobs over the years without being asked to actually provide music for a Mass! It seems INSANE to me.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also if you're a pastor looking to dramatically change the direction of your parish music program (say from guitar-folk to chant-polyphony), I would ask what successes the person has had in changing programs in the past. If the person can only list half-successes and failures (usually blaming someone else in the process), perhaps this person isn't the most tactful or best person to perform such a drastic change.
    Thanked by 2AngelaR stpetric
  • francis
    Never rely mainly on an individual's ability to play the organ. MANY organists including 'Catholic' ones, don't have a clue what the liturgy or the FAITH is truly about. If they don't like chant, for instance, you have the wrong individual. If they don't understand obedience to the pastor, they don't have a clue either.

I have begun a new organization that promotes thinking and philosophy entirely in line with the Magesterium. If you want more info, contact me via email.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor stpetric
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    matthewj:

Thanks be to God my current employer (Pastor) didn't hear you say this, for he would have missed out on nearly 3 years of stable, slow and effective change in the music program of his parish, and I would likely still be unemployed.

I came with the very sort of "baggage" you warn of, and contrary to your representations, my failures were precisely due to the very effective agitation, sand-bagging and manipulations of very hateful progressives among the staff and parishioners and even the priests in the parishes I was driven from.

Perhaps you might have a quick read of the important book, "When Sheep Attack" and reconsider your advice.

On the other hand, if I were considering applying for a job such as the one you describe, I would think twice and very, very carefully before entertaining employment in an environment where the priest wants to "dramatically change" the trajectory of the music program from guitars to chant. This sort of thing isn't done over night, and I would be wary of any priest who would set deadlines and establish random "mile markers" for success, and then pre-judge whether one such as myself would be able to attain such a goal that would very likely be designed for failure based on a previous "history".
    Thanked by 2irishtenor stpetric
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I agree with much of what has been said so far. I am both a parish music director and - in my "day job" - a hiring manager. When I look for employees, there are two big things I look for in addition to the necessary skills to do the job: 1) Goals, objectives, attitudes that are consistent with mine and that of the company, and 2) Positive results in the past that match what we a trying to do.

The first is intended to ensure that both sides have a chance of being satisfied and successful. When company and employee goals match, you obviously end up with a more motivated employee. The second demonstrates that the person is as much an effective practitioner as a theorist. I have hired some very brilliant and skilled people who just didn't have the knack for getting a job done. I'd much rather have a person whose skills or qualifications might be less than some other candidates, but who has a record of getting it done in practice. I love matthewj's idea of having candidates actually provide music for a mass as part of the audition. Seeing is believing (I am a doubting Thomas!).

David - I sympathize with your situation and am glad you are now enjoying success. An employer might very well miss out on a good candidate like you and would have to weigh in any mitigating factors that are particular to your history. I am just saying that most employers will try to minimize their risk - especially if they recognize that hiring the right person is the most important decision they can make. In parish life, I believe hiring the right music director can almost make or break a parish.
    Thanked by 1stpetric
  • While reading MJ's comment about successfully or un-successfully initiating change, I couldn't help thinking about the very scenario that DA was a victim of. While it MAY be helpful to assess a person's past experience, that experience in and of itself may well not be an accurate guide to his or her abilities.

On the other hand, MJ's suggestion to bring considerees in to actually plan and direct the liturgy on a Sunday is a highly commendable one. A fine organist may or may not play a beautiful liturgy. This requires art, being a fine organist, having an instinct for what is musically appropriate at the various moments of the liturgy, being skilled in the art of improvisation both free and on a sacred cantus firmus (which your applicant should be expected to demonstrate), having a musical bond and a strong spiritual connection with the liturgy. For this a fine organist who has these qualities is required. It is certain that a not-fine organist is not your person. And beware of and avoid those persons who say things such as 'well, I'm not (or, we don't want) a concert organist, I'm just (or, we just want) a church organist'. The excellence and historical perspective demanded in liturgical playing will not be found in such attitudes.

• Steve QSteve Q
    Some dioceses have their own guidelines for hiring DMs. Here's an example: http://home.catholicweb.com/DOSP_OFW/files/Guidelines/Hiring_a_Music_Director_-_6403.PDF.

Also, have you checked out NPM's guidelines? They have a list of qualifications for a DM: http://www.npm.org/Sections/images/qualifications.pdf.
  • Something that I think worth thinking about is the real necessity that the music director also be an accomplished organist.

I'm a music director of a reasonable sized parish (about 1000 families). We have an organist that is on staff that plays for major events, as well as several substitutes on call. While I'm a functional organist (I can play hymns, simple preludes and postludes, and can manage simple improvisations, and I certainly have a strong knowledge of the instrument...but I'm not an elite organist. However, I've created and maintained a strong program of sacred music, focusing primarily on chant and sacred polyphony. Certainly, every parish is different and not all can afford to have an extra organist on staff. However, I often think it unwise to completely write someone off because they are not a world-class organist.

Adam S.
    Thanked by 2ryand tomboysuze
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm also not a "concert organist", but I do play chorale preludes, pieces such as the Bach preludes and fugues (i.e. BWV 578, Prelude in G Minor, etc.) and pieces such as the Franck Cantibile.

I do not, however, play the very involved Langlais or Tournemire pieces, nor most of the Guilmant Sonatas nor the Bach Sonatas. I'm sure I'm capable of them - but I don't learn them because they are either extremely loud, or in excess of 10 minutes, which there is little call for outside of a concert.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it ...
  • It is not necessary that the MD be an organist at all. As the organ serves a (beautiful!) ancillary role in the liturgy, and is secondary to the singing, I suggest looking for a trained singer choral director with current, working knowledge of vocal technique and pedagogical experience. Many organists do not think like singers or sing well, and yet are in charge of developing a choir. Sometimes that works ok, often they limp along, but excellence is limited to the director's knowledge of the instrument he is working with. A trained singer director has a more specific tool set with which to train and lead singers.

If the pastor is only able to hire one musician, then obviously they need to go with an organist to cover all bases. They should just be aware that musicians are not interchangable, and that in general they cannot expect the same level from cantors and choirs led by organists.

When talking to my priest and seminarian friends, I strongly advocate hiring both a choir director and an organist. Either one can serve as MD. I suppose that would depend on who has more experience, degrees, liturgy and theology background, etc.
  • MaryAnn's observations about knowledgability of vocal and choral technique vs. organ ability are certainly valid and commendable. I don't disagree with them at all. One might only wish to point out, though, that nearly all 'organists' who really qualify as fully trained church musicians are, in fact, as well grounded in liturgical choral repertory and technique as in that of the organ. This is part and parcel of the training, especially in regard to Anglican and Catholic tradition and practice.
    All of which is to assert that qualified 'organists' may very well be, and usually are, as qualified to be choirmasters as those trained only in vocal paedagogy. Too, every vocal and choral expert is not at all necessarily equipped to lead a liturgical choir, nor can it be assumed that he or she is by any means a fitting scholar of sacred music. I have never known a choirmaster-organist who was not as skilled a choral director as he or she was an organist. Such men and women are in my experience much more grounded, qualified and balanced as liturgical musicians than are choral only persons.
  • redsox1
    In my opinion, if a parish is in a position to hire a full-time musician, that person must absolutely be a trained organist. The organ is the foundation of a solid music program. I agree with the point in the previous post that organists trained at conservatories or universities are given extensive training in choral singing and vocal technique. I was fortunate to receive training at two of the finest music schools (particularly in organ) in the country. I also worked as an assistant to some very fine people. If there can be more than one full-time person on staff, perhaps a choral director and an organist would be appropriate, although usually in a parish large enough to accomodate multiple staff there are too many liturgies for just one organist to cover.

In response to MaryAnn's point, while singing is the primary music of the church, it is the congregation that is the primary choir and the organ provides most of the leadership. This leadership cannot simply be left to chance. Organists need to provide solid and vital rhythm to encourage and support singing (this includes BREATHING), as well as creativity-reharmonizations, sensitive and varied registrations (which is so often overlooked), and yes, the vast literature which adds so much beauty to the liturgy. This literature is a HUGE part of our heritage. I wince every time I see its role diminished by those I would expect to be in support of it. Improvisation is also an important and too often overlooked skill. Good improvisations, after a hymn or motet at the Prep. of the Gifts to accompany the remainder of that action (and incensation), or to transition from a communion proper or hymn to a motet help to create seemless flow in the liturgy. This is music created for the moment and can play a large role in helping to foster prayer.

I feel the successful church musician must be well-rounded, devoting countless hours to many disciplines-not just choral, vocal, and keyboard skills, but also composition, arranging, and the study of liturgical theology and practice.
  • In Catholic liturgy, the organ plays a vital role, but is not the foundation of a music progam. Organ rep, while vast and beautiful, is not liturgical music per se. Chant and polyphony are the music of the liturgy, and as such the foundation of Catholic sacred music. This repertoire relies on a body of well trained cantors, schola, and/or choir to execute them well and lead the congregation in the parts belonging to them.

While university and conservatories help prepare the organist to lead singers, the same programs train singers more extensively. Advances in vocal pedagogy in the last 20-30 years have been significant. Caveat: the organist who trains equally in voice is rare, but they do exist.

If we want the best singing in parishes, we need to hire those most often most competent in training singers- excellent singers who are qualified to teach. Or, if money exists (and I'm never sure why Episcopalians can do this and we can't- it's an embarrasent) hire 4-8 core singers. Again, trained pros and semipros.

If we return to the model of unimusician, in most places that means the organist is he only trained musician in the program. Hymns and organ rep will be ok, but chant and polyphony will be in the same position they were before the council- limping along but not developing, and not the core of the music program in most places. Music progams become nearly identical to strong Protestant programs. But our liturgical music is very different. We need a different model.

Chant and polyphony need a schola cantorum- I advocate a return to the model that best develops and accompanies this form of singing. This means hiring singers.
  • I want to make it clear that fine organists are needed, and desired, in good music programs. This doesn't mean they can replace fine singers. I firmly recommend that fine singers and fine organists should BOTH be hired and work together in a program in order to have the best chance at great liturgical music (chant and polyphony) and great hymn and organ repertoire, including sensitive accompaniment of some singing.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    MaryAnn, I wonder if you have any recordings available to demonstrate what can be done in the model you suggest, as evidenced in your excellent parish music program.
  • GavinGavin
    Even as a fine organist and rotten singer, I agree wholeheartedly with MaryAnn. Catholic liturgy is primarily vocal.

I say test an applicant on their knowledge of the liturgy.
  • redsox1
    MaryAnn, with all do respect, most conservatories and schools of music have pretty much one genre in mind when it comes to vocal training: opera. I have seen it and lived it. My wife happens to be a HIGHLY trained singer (and Met young artist finalist) from one of those schools. She is a first-rate cantor, section leader, soloist, and can sing chant like no one's business! I can assure you she did not learn these things in school. Organists, on the other hand, even at public universities, are exposed to the great treasury of sacred music. My conducting and church music courses dealt extensively with both chant and polyphony, as well as Latin, German,and French diction. We all took voice lessons and sang in choirs. I was constantly getting my classmates together to sing solemn vespers at my church. Now, I will grant you that a singer from a school with a strong liturgical music program is a different matter. But even then, they would be required to study keyboard, hopefully organ. If you look at the overwhelming majority of fine Roman Catholic music programs in this country that use chant and polyphony as a major part of their repertoire, particularly at the Cathedral level, they are staffed by musicians who are primarily organists with extensive choral backgrounds. Just as not all good organists are good conductors, there are as many good singers who are also not good conductors.

In a perfect world, churches could hire both organist and choral director, both full-time. But in most cases this is not possible. Again, one most be competent in BOTH disciplines.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • redsox1
    Sorry, I meant "due." That will teach me not to proof-read.

• redsox1
    I am also concerned that while we should be promoting the use of the propers at Mass, there seems to be an all-out assault by some on metrical hymnody. Let's not forget that metrical hymnody in Catholic practice is not something that came into being in the 1960's. It's been around for centuries. Germany would be a good place to look at as an example of this. And even if we use chant as the basis for congregational singing, the organ needs to be a part of the equation. I stand by my statement above referencing the need for a strong organist. Chant is even more challenging to accompany than metrical hymnody, especially since rhythm is text-driven, and therefore, not regular. And, while I certainly believe in the practice of unaccompanied chant, there is a strong tradition of accompanied chant. Imagine a world without the music of Durufle!
  • DougS
    Raw musicianship skills are more important, IMO, than whether someone is a trained singer or an organist: sight singing, score reading, flexibility, knowledge of repertoire, etc. There are many musicians of all stripes who make it through school without developing any of these to a truly acceptable level.

I'm reminded of the Christmas party I attended at a colleague's house. She can play Liszt beautifully after hours of practice but had trouble sight reading Christmas carol arrangements?

Communicating difficult concepts using simple language is another critical and essential skill that isn't necessarily taught. Having taken vocal pedagogy classes is a step in the right direction, but leading a choir is about more than simply teaching them how to sing.
  • redsox1
    DougS,

Well said. I have seen many organists who can play the literature beautifully, but can't play a hymn to save themselves (bad rhythm, no sense of line, missed notes, lack of creativity, etc.) Likewise, I have seen too many singers who can't think vertically-it's all about the melodic line. This is not particularly helpful when dealing in choral texture. Singers too often aren't given the best foundation in musicianship skills during their studies. This is a shame.

I also agree that teaching a choir to sing is only part of the job. A large part of being effective is being a good cheerleader. You need to inspire, encourage, and push them beyond where they think their abilities are.

• BruceL
    While university and conservatories help prepare the organist to lead singers, the same programs train singers more extensively. Advances in vocal pedagogy in the last 20-30 years have been significant. Caveat: the organist who trains equally in voice is rare, but they do exist.

I disagree strongly with this statement, but in a bit of a different way. Redsox1 is on the money: singers have the technical training, but there is no vocal program I know of (and I am happy to stand corrected) that trains singers in the general principles of church music. This doesn't mean that organists are any better off, but I wouldn't go and say that a singer is the best hire.

The reality is that organ music is needed for the (traditional) liturgy. Even some traditional groups encourage the chant to be accompanied (for better or worse) and there are a number of other issues to consider. A better way of saying things is that if someone is not familiar with how to train voices, plan the liturgy, and play the organ, it is unlikely that they will be able to lead a church program well, or at least earn a living wage doing so.
  • BruceL
    (Mary Ann, otherwise, I think everything you propose is great...didn't mean to come across too strong!)
  • As someone currently on the 'home stretch' of a doctorate in church music (with both organ and choral emphasis), I think it is worthwhile to warn against the American fetish for degrees. Most degrees (especially doctorates) require you to spend an inordinate amount of time taking academic classes such as music history and theory. Doctorates are considered (by the university) an academic degree, designed to prepare you for a professorship. Of course everyone knows that most organ/church music DMA students will end up in church jobs, so there is often an uneasy attempt to balance the academic/concert repertoire side of the degree with practical skills. Your first practical goal will be repertoire at most programs, supplemented perhaps by a year of improv/service playing on the side - skills that can most certainly not be mastered or even thoroughly approached in a a year. In the last third of a doctorate (assuming 3 years total) a great deal of time has to be spent cramming names and dates and treatises to prepare for comps and orals. This semester I am barely even able to practice due to my around-the-clock preparation for the last round of hoop-jumping at the academy. This is a common predicament for my colleagues as well in the last year or half year.

I say all of this because of the emphasis I see on doctorates in church music job searches. Why do people want a trained academic to fill a job that is practical, skill-based, and pastoral in nature? Yet the doctorate is listed at the high end of all pay scales. There is a real disconnect between what the academy thinks it is doing in this country, and what employers think they are getting in the church world. Am I selling myself short? No, I have used my spare time for years to pursue the skills and knowledge unique to church music - but the fact is, I have those skills through my own efforts rather than through coursework and academic training. There are plenty of people running around with doctorates who are very deficient in the basic skills necessary for success in church music, as several other people have hinted at above. I'm just saying - beware of people carrying degrees, and beware of American academic degrees as your primary focus in a job search. Music is a craft, not an academic discipline - at least if you expect any actual music to be created in your parish.

Most of the great composers of church history did not have degrees at all. I have been immersing myself in many biographies as part of my comps preparation this semester. A common theme is that the composer was in the choir school at a major church, and worked as an apprentice musician from childhood. The church desperately needs such musicians again. I don't think we will find the next generation of composers/organists/choir directors (a set of skills that used to be considered standard for church musicians) until we put less emphasis on universities and more emphasis on lifetime immersion in the craft of church music in action. To make that leap, employers will need to start thinking outside of the academic box more. Until then people like me, in order to have a fair chance in the field, will have to spend precious years memorizing names and dates when they should be mastering their craft.

• DougS
    The DMA is a kind of "union card" for acquiring an academic position in a performance area, yes, but that's not necessarily its only function. All the "hoop jumping" through your academic classes and document writing is supposed to make you a more sensitive and thoughtful person/performer, at least one hopes. But this is the old liberal arts vs. job training dilemma.
  • redsox1
    I made the decision to leave my DM studies to be an assistant at a major Catholic venue. I don't regret it one bit. The experiences there prepared me well, much more so than staying in my degree program. I never did go back and finish. Has it limited me in terms of teaching possibilities? Of course, but organ programs are being downsized and are being staffed more and more by adjunct faculty. I did some moving around for family reasons over the past ten years. Now, my career is back on track and I'm at a very large parish in the Midwest growing a program in a most beautiful facility. It's been a very interesting journey!
  • I don't think one necessarily has to throw out metrical hymnody because someone can't play giant Widor organ symphony....As noted, I'm not anyone that you'd come hear in recital, but I can play hymns. I do think a fundamental ability to play the organ is necessary to be effective as a DofM in most cases....but I simply do not think being a mind-blowing organ prodigy is necessary. More important is to be a master of Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony with the ability to improvise in a very basic manner and to play basic preludes, postludes, and interludes. To demand that your DofM be a master of the organ, I believe, is unnecessarily narrowing your field to exclude some very talented, very smart, very liturgical-minded musicians.

Adam S.
  • DougS
    Adam, I agree with that. In terms of pure staffing (at the vast majority of parishes), it is very helpful for the person who directs the choir to be able to accompany at the keyboard in a rehearsal room, if not in the Mass itself (where a paid staff organist can assist without having to be paid for rehearsals as well). Even when the repertoire is mostly unaccompanied, many singers prefer to learn by hearing the music from the keyboard.
  • DougS "the old liberal arts vs. job training dilemma":

EXACTLY! But I would just point out two things. First, to go back again to the great musicians of the past, they managed to not just be sensitive masterful performers - but they actually crafted the monuments of Western music without any degrees. It was precisely because they saw music as a craft, and apprenticeship as job training, that they were able to become masters. You show me someone who has a profound interpretation of Bach because of their 'rounded' education, and I will counter with Bach himself who created that music with no degree whatsoever.

Second point - an education can never make you more sensitive or thoughtful unless you are open to changing in those ways. Your education is what you make of it. A person who wants to broaden their mind and become more thoughtful and knowledgeable (say through the Great Books) can do that through a personal course of reading and conversations with other people. And in fact, another common attribute of the great (and even the mediocre) composers is that they were well-read and well-rounded through their own efforts and circles of acquaintances.

As far as church music goes we need more job training, and musicians can take responsibility for broadening their mind on their own. This is the information age...the great books and ideas are all free now for the inquisitive person.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • redsox1 - great to hear! That was a brave move, and I'm glad it worked well for you. I am starting to get tempted in that direction as well...
  • francis
    Widor is overratd

conducting is overrated

true organist/ choirmasters are rare

a good well rounded church musician deepens the faith and tradition of the church including the big three

chant
    polyphony
    organ
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Francis, I'm not sure I understand you.

In what context is Charles-Marie Widor overrated? I'm grateful that Widor was an outstanding musical scholar whose edition (with Albert Schweitzer) of Bach's organ works paved the way for our present day understanding as to what Bach's music was made of and how they should be played, especially in terms of phrasing and bringing out inner voices. Perhaps you mean that Widor's music overrated as church music? Or what? Please explain for the benefit of the rest of us, dear friend.

And, for a choir of 20 or more voices, is conducting really overrated? All the competent organist/choirmasters I've worked with were, in fact, outstanding and very sensitive conductors, even when conducting from the organ bench. Good grief, even Bach conducted his larger works, generally from the keyboard. When I was on leave at Northwestern many years ago, I was fortunate enough to study conducting with Margaret Hillis, and I learned so much about choral music from a perspective entirely different than that of a singer or a composer. Here in Hudson, Wisconsin, in the greater Twin Cities area, known for its choral music, the Phipps Festival Chorus and the Phipps Oratorio Society with which I sing would be just so-so without the outstanding conducting of Thomas Dahle, a musician of outstanding talent. Once again, I just don't understand what point you are trying to make, this time by saying conducting is overrated, and I would sincerely appreciate your elucidating this poor soul.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Isn't it somewhat disingenuous to suggest that, because Bach had no degree and yet crafted in his own oeuvre our civilisation's Summa Musicae, we should trust Catholic liturgy to present day choirmasters and organists who haven't wasted their time getting an education? Are you suggesting that most of our colleagues here, and colleagues-to-be in university studies are made of such stuff as was Bach, and that, then, they need little or no musical education? Your argument rests on thin ice.
    It has been my observation that MOST of those who denigrate an advanced education have not bothered to get one and really are not as good as they talk. Some, it is true, have the requisite inborn talent and skills, and the Good Fortune, to scale the heights without the academic study that the rest of us are blessed to have acquired. They are very few in number. I have also often observed that a goodly number of not-all-that-talented men and women have miraculously parlayed themselves into church music posts for which they are comically unqualified. Clergy, and music commitees, are too frequently hoodwinked and their people cheated because they often know little or nothing about the Church's musical heritage and true needs, and are too easily impressed with a talented conversationalist who is a dazzling 'people person' and a pitiful musician.
    You want musicians who have nothing but their own native, unlettered talent? You have had them for forty years. They are called 'folk musicians', etc., and we will be another forty years undoing the damage they have done.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Credentialism exists because employers don't have or don't care to have the means to adequately assess job candidates. It's something we will always have. I'm much more comfortable with 3rd party credentials (like AGO certs) because they measure skills that can be developed in real life. And I think that going through "the third degree" for a church job is an absurd waste of time and money (particularly considering what such jobs pay), particularly if one goes massively into debt to do it. Being critical of the usual manner of current training does not mean being critical of the notion of training. The skills must be learned, and too often they aren't.
  • DougS
    I agree with Jackson that one is on thin ice to say that great composers didn't need degrees to become great composers but I want to follow a different train of thought. Obviously this is a true statement on the surface, but take, for example, the fact that the Paris Conservatoire wasn't founded until the 1790s. After its founding, virtually all of the "great" composers of France studied and/or taught there.

The Vienna Conservatory was founded in 1819 (while Beethoven was still alive), and the first institute of higher musical education in the German-speaking lands outside Austria was founded by none other than Felix Mendelssohn in Leipzig in 1843--long after the deaths of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven. After that time similar institutions appeared in Berlin, Munich, and Dresden.

The oldest conservatory in the U.S., Oberlin, was founded as late as 1865, and even Harvard didn't have a music professor until the 1870s.

The point is that these centers of learning appeared very late in music history. It isn't as if Bach rejected the academy, because it wasn't there. Clearly musicians didn't "need" an institutional musical education before one was even available, but once music education became institutionalized and streamlined along with higher education more generally, older paths of musical instruction such as years-long apprenticeships simply became economically unviable.

The culture that created Bach isn't around anymore, and even with all of the free information that's available now, there is no substitute for tutoring. Even Bach had that.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I don't understand why these different educational models are being presented in an exclusive way. The apprenticeship model is great. The educational model is great. The vocalist model is great. The one you choose depends in large part upon the specific needs of your congregation.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen
  • The whole degree/university vs. apprenticeship question is involved, and would maybe be a good subject for its own thread. The reason I bring it up is that employers need to be more aware of what is actually taught in the university music programs. It is laudable for employers to expect dedication and many years of training from an applicant, however the fact that you have a degree is not necessarily any indication that you have spent years learning the actual skills required of a church musician (or that you have any sense of serving the church). I know a lot of people with advanced degrees (Eastman, Oberlin, Yale, etc.) who, failing to succeed at the nearly impossible task of becoming a university and/or concert organist, turn to church work because it is good money and the only real route to go with their training. Many have no real sense of serving the church - they just need a job.
    Some (myself included) will lament the horribly unqualified amateur folk musicians who inundated the church after V2. But I would also avoid a blind reliance on degrees. I see this pretty often, and it is almost worse than the amateur situation. This is because those churches that see the need and take the step of doing a quality search for a quality director, very often put too much faith in degrees. The reason is the same - they do not really know how to assess skills, so they put their faith in the academy to do that for them. I am saying, with the current state of university music education you cannot put that much faith in the American academy. (by the way, notice I keep saying "American academy" - I've also studied in Europe, and those church music programs do emphasize improv, sight-singing, and other practical skills).

M Jackson - It's interesting that as soon as I criticize the academy you make sweeping generalizations about people without degrees. If that is a veiled ad hominem, I will pass over it. Your point about Bach approaches the bizarre. If there is any example of someone who constantly worked throughout his life to hone his skills, it is Bach (Bruckner is the only one I can think of who was even more meticulous about training himself). You are making a categorical leap that no degree=no training or tutoring. Bach absolutely had years of tutoring (including his self-imposed famous trip to Lubeck to see Buxtehude), and a lifetime of hard work and careful study. You need inborn genius, PLUS a lifetime of hard work to become a master like him. I am all for dedicated years of hard work and training - everyone needs this in order to be a good church musician. I am saying that our American music programs are not the only or even the best way to get this training. We share the same concerns about poorly qualified people talking their way into jobs - but again, when you are talking about the real skills needed for church music a modern American advanced degree guarantees very little.

DougS - First, you can absolutely get tutoring without a degree (private lessons) - agreed, tutoring is essential in music. Second, the Paris Conservatory is a great example of an institution that is nothing like our modern American music schools. We always talk about that conservatory, with a kind of awe, in my organ department - it is just so much different that what we do today in America. I love the Paris Conservatory, and I think if we could replicate that model here we would really be on to something. Rigorous training in solfege, counterpoint, fugue, harmony, improvisation, chant accompaniment, and - as just one of many areas of work - some repertoire as well. It is no coincidence that so many great composers came out of such a program of study. Until our American schools look like that, I will not concede that they are any kind of apex or ideal of musical training.

Sorry to go on at such length (and a bit off-topic), but this is an issue that is very much on my mind as I get to the end of my (academic) studies. I think the strong responses on this thread show that it needs to be discussed more.
  • btw - when I mentioned broadening your education and mind through the information that surrounds us, I was just talking about general education and the Great Books and such. I was home-schooled, so I know that you don't need any kind of institutional education to be broadly-educated and very well read. (And Bach and many other composers were very well-read without any degrees).
    Of course music is different, though - it requires one-on-one work with a good teacher. But again, you don't necessarily need a degree to work with a good teacher.
  • I’m mildly surprised that most of the dialogue here has been, pardon the pun, so academic, save for Kathy’s comments. This is not to say that all statements aren’t valuable, but many seem only remotely connected to a career choice that has so many aspects and attributes that it seems like the argument’s being held in a petrie dish.
    Last comment about “academic preparation and degrees”- When I was faced with going on to the DMA, or taking a public school choral gig virtually being handed to me, it was truly humbling to realize within days of taking the teaching job that nothing I’d ever taken in MusEd courses had prepared me for the reality of dealing with all those “stakeholders” the profs and books kept chirping about. Now, a factual fable illustrating that- our boy Bach at Leipzig (and likely elsewhere, according to Groves) had no compunctions about taking a switch to his unruly choristers young kiesters if they, in ANY way, displeased him in the course of exercising his duties. Try doing that in the secular or sacred music arenas, citing JSB as precendence, and then head for the border before the parents and cops show up with pitchforks, not tuning forks.
    For the gentlemen seminarian’s project, I’d suggest directly interviewing a broad spectrum of cathedral, parish and seminary DM’s and faculty, all of whom can be readily identified through googling known folks like Jennifer Pascual, Peter Latona, Scott Turkington, et al. Then move towards interviewing “local heros” such as we have on this very forum: Jeffrey Morse, Sam Dorlaque, Rudy deVos, MaryAnn Carr Wilson, Kathy Pluth, Jackson Osborn, Michael Olbash et al. Then, to be truly complete, contact diverse diocese chanceries with the intent of ID’ing DM’s the locals consider to be “successful.” Such lists of names might just contain some of those “comicly inept” folks that Jackson and Noel Jones rightly decry, but you need to know why they’re regarded as successful locally. Our friend Todd Flowerday might not measure into the suit we think a modern RCC DM should wear, but he has a skill set that perhaps not a few of us have overlooked or outright dismissed that keeps him gainfully employed and which his constituency values quite clearly.
    Sifting through forum combox debates, just like taking the time to type out responses like this, seems a rather exorbitant use of one’s research time.

• Kathy
    I would also suggest watching this remarkable video: http://churchnext.tv/2012/01/27/paul-westermeyer-ending-the-worship-wars/

• GavinGavin
    As Charles just did, I think we should get back to answering the question of the original poster, rather than argue about what "hypothetical candidate" (by which we obviously mean ourselves) is the best ever to hire.

I'd suggest look at the requirements for the basic certifications of the AGO and NPM. That will tell you what basic skills one should expect a service player should possess.

One other thing I've been disappointed not to get in an interview is any test of my liturgical knowledge. Find out if they have a basic knowledge of the liturgical documents of the Church, and rubrics of the Mass. Once I was asked, "How do you go about selecting music for each service?" Seems like a good questions to me.

Another issue you may not have considered that may be useful to research: how do you get applicants? What kind of applicants will each posting service give you? What's the cost-effectiveness of each?
  • DougS
    All of the answers depend on the individual parish and its resources, too.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When I last did "serious" job interviewing (dozens of interviews over several months), it was 2007.. Things have changed since then, and I noticed that in my last "slightly serious" phase of job interviewing.

In 2007 people were willing to fly you places to interview with them in person. Sometimes I'd fly to a place more than once - and stay there for several days worth of interviewing/vetting.

In 2011, Skype is a common word. Send me your YouTube videos and we'll do an interview on Skype. This is not a positive trend. Cheaper, yes. But when one wants a thriving music program one has to have the right person... and you can't tell everything about a person via skype and youtube. I've been offered three positions over the last few years without ever meeting the priest or seeing the parish in person.. I took none of those jobs - how could they be sure I was the right one via Skype and Youtube? I could I tell that they were the right parish for me via their (sometimes shoddy) parish website?

Meet people in person once you're finished your first batch of telephone interviews.
  • francis
    sorry CHG et al:

i have confused everyone...

i didn't clearly express things as i should have.

Widor's 5th... highly overrated, overplayed and applauded as one of the 'gems' of organ repertoire. personally, i think it's just an ego trip. I guess it's the 'sacred music' rendition of 'flight of the bumble bee". I played it in college and then quickly moved onto more substantial repertoire... never played it again, and don't care to ever play it again.

Conducting can be done from the bench, or from the first chair... you don't need a 'dedicated conductor'. I do enjoy conducting polyphony... from the music stand... don't get me wrong. but a well rehearsed choir that is ATTENTIVE to its director, will need to see waving hands very little, and the director will be less of a spectacle, especially during the liturgy. A good schola of 4-8 (or more) can easily watch and listen to each other and accomplish an excellent performance without a conductor.

eg. http://www.orpheusnyc.com/

One of the greatest errors in sacred music has been putting the choir in front of the congregation. It's simply a temptation to vainglory.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHOIRS BELONG 'IN CHOIR'... and that means in front. Out of view says it all: the choir's contribution is extra-liturgical and totally ancillary and of no fundamental importance; also, it means laxity in being liturgically 'engaged'... not being seen means behaviour and demeanor that should not be permitted in leaders of liturgy and that would not be tolerated if it were seen. Inherent in a choir's ministry is leadership by liturgical act as well as in song. A well trained choir is an inspiring sight to behold... IN CHOIR. (Vainglory has nothing to do with it. God's glory has everything to do with it.)

I do agree with Francis about The Widor Toccata. It was something that everyone else learnt as a freshman (or even a high-schooler) and which I thought was musical hot-air. Many years into my career I decided to play it and actually enjoyed it for a while. Now I play it about once every few years just because I know that people find it thrilling. It's sort of an ecclesiastical 1812 overture. It's nice every few years as a closing voluntary on Ascension.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Liam
    While I think the Luddite anti-elitism in matters musical that long dominated American Catholic parishes (it predates Vatican II by a long stretch) was baleful, credentialism is no better. A magnificent musician who is too ego-centric is a problem not so much in lack of docility towards the pastor (though that's how pastors will tend to see the problem) but in pastoral and liturgical terms: musicians serve the liturgy and the community and have to be comfortable with a strong lack of control over both. Academia can be helpful if if knocks down the ego a few pegs where prudent (as many gifted teenagers get to learn once they pursue higher education in music), but this more global sensitivity is something one has to learn from good mentors and the school of hard knocks. It can be learned. It better be learned...
  • The difficulty in making the modern day choir actually "in choir", Jackson, is that women cannot properly sit "in choir". So unless your choir is men only (and perhaps it is), I think the tradition of the choir in the loft has served us quite well for quite a long time.
  • Kathy
    According to St. Albert the Great (and doubtless others), the choir represents the angels at the heavenly banquet. I think that's a good argument for the choir loft.
  • Liam
    It can be just as strong an argument that the angels surround the banquet, since medieval imagery tended towards that imagery.....

That said, I am for whereever the choir is placed for best acoustical advantage; for music, I care more about the acoustics than the visuals (and I believe church musicians should emphasize that dimension, because practically everyone else ignores it, and that is a bad habit - a habit encouraged by the fact that it is much easier to write about visuals than about sound). That can be the loft, but is not always the loft; I've certainly been in lofts that don't deliver acoustically compared to other places in the same space, as it were.