Simple, elegant Easter Mass?
  • Claire H
    Does anyone know of (or want to write ;) a Mass based on a familiar "Easter melody" (perhaps Ode to Joy, Ye Sons and Daughters, or another classic)? I have selected to use Bod Hurd's "Missa Ubi Caritas" for our Gloria, but would really like to find a Holy Holy, Memorial, Amen, and Lamb of God with the above characteristics that we could use throughout the Easter Season. This congregation tends to be very overwhelmed by any new music, which is a main reason for needing something that feels familiar. Unison would be fine, or even just 2 or 3 three parts (we don't have the resources to do 4-part music).

Any suggestions, ideas, or compositions appreciated!
  • I know Richard Proulx had a setting called Paschal Mass which was based upon O Filii et Filiae though I do not know if GIA has revised it yet. They did revise his Corpus Christi Mass which is based upon Adoro Te.
  • Bobby Bolin
    The Paschal Mass has not been revised as of yet.

You may want to take a look at this Gloria from CanticaNova based on EASTER HYMN/LYRA DAVIDICA.

I am working on a setting based on VICTIMAE PASCHALI but it is nowhere near presentable.
  • ryandryand
    Maybe a very naive question, but what is the chance of any diocese or bishop's conference commissioning new works these days?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    It's perfectly doable if you're willing to raise the money. Commission money coming out of general funds is pretty unlikely.
  • BenBen
    OCP's Mass of the Resurrection is based on Duke Street (I know that my Redeemer lives, Jesus shall reign). For once, OCP has published some decent music. :P

It is in 4 parts, but it could be sung effectively in unison as well (maybe unison and descant as two parts?) with the organ. You're in luck, since the gloria is a little difficult, but the other parts aren't very hard (you have to look past the brass and descant in the recording, but the melody itself is quite simple: check out the sample sheet music at the OCP site).

They don't include the agnus dei or "When we eat this bread" recordings on their page, but you can find them with a little digging, if you want to hear them too:

When we eat this bread
    Agnus Dei

By the way, the agnus dei music also has an option to play it without the key change or tropes.

My parish is used this from November until Lent, so I'm fairly fimilar with it, as you might have noticed. :)
  • Maybe a very naive question, but what is the chance of any diocese or bishop's conference commissioning new works these days?

Diocese of Omaha commissioned a Mass by David Hurd. It is stunning and singable.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Marc, is that the one included in LUYH from LitPress?