Alternate chant tones for the Pater Noster (in Latin)
  • I am wondering if anyone out there can help me track down Latin chant settings of the Pater Noster BESIDES the three that are quite familiar, namely, the ferial tone, the festal tone, and the "Te Deum"-based tone found in Solesmes books. I knew a priest who sang a lovely simple tone that I can't find anywhere, and was hoping someone had brought these tones together in one place.
  • Simon
    Don't know of any place where all the Pater Noster tones are brought together. The nicest tone, in my opinion, is the one in the Antiphonale Monasticum (the Solesmes edtion from the 1930s) - lovely and simple and sung everyday in monastic vespers and lauds.
  • Protasius
    In Les Mélodies Grégoriennes on page 234 you can find the mozarabic Pater Noster tone
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but can someone indicate on what page in the AM the PAter Noster is. I've been looking for it and haven't come across it :-/
  • chonakchonak
    p. 1236
    Thanked by 1Ora_et_Labora
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I've never understood the ardent desire for congregations to sing along with the priest during the Pater Noster (at least in the EF), when it is quite clearly marked as P: and R:.
    The priest shouldn't have to slow everything down for the congregation, nor should the choir be trying to control how he sings it, especially as that is 1 chant nearly every priest already knows very well and doesn't require our aid.
  • chonakchonak
    It is puzzling that the 1958 document De musica sacra provides that the congregation may sing the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei at sung and solemn Masses, but does not make the same provision for the Pater noster, even though singing the Pater noster is probably easier than any of the other major prayers of the Mass ordinary.

And yet the prayer is not really reserved for the priest in an exclusive way: the document grants the faithful permission to recite the prayer at read ("low") Masses, in Latin.

Moreover, in the Roman rite, according to the Missale Romanum of 1962, the priest, having completed the Canon of the Mass, says the following words (upon which I mark emphasis):
    Oremus. Praeceptis salutaribus moniti, et divina institutione formati, audemus dicere:

This might explain why some of the faithful have an interest in singing the prayer.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CCoozeCCooze
    To be fair, he also often says "oremus," but isn't asking for everyone else to speak or chant the next prayer along with him.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Even the St. Edmund Campion Missal ("for the people in the pews") conspicuously leaves out nearly all of the chant notation for the Pater Noster, only giving the congregation the cue to get ready(et ne nos inducas in tentationem), and the notation to sing their part. Nothing in that missal suggests that the congregation needs to be saying anything but "sed libera nos a malo."
  • chonakchonak
    Yes. I expect that keeping it reserved to the priest in sung Masses is probably what the rubrics require, in spite of the natural meaning of the words "audemus dicere".
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • In the OF the priest twice says "let us pray", in a manner that is not an invitation to the congregation to speak.

It doesn't follow, of course, that the congregation is not also praying. One hopes that they are.
  • Yeah, I don't get why it's okay for the congregation to recite the Pater Noster along with the priest at read (EF) masses but not to sing it with the priest at sung (EF) masses except for Sed libera nos a malo. I wonder what the reasoning was in De musica sacra.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 hilluminar