Chant ordinaries layout help?
  • Claire H

A current project of mine is to prepare and print pew cards printed with the Missal Chant ordinaries (Kyrie, Sanctus, Lamb of God) in English, Spanish (Fr. Spencer's Spanish Ordinary I: http://marello.org/simplex/collections/ordinary-i/), and Latin in a matching layout/design.

Although I prefer to use chant notation, the people here at this parish are not ready for that yet, so I need to have them all in the new missal-type "generic modern notation" format.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with notation layout like this, and no time to learn it right now. So my question is:

1. Are any one of you notation gurus willing/able to crank out a matching set for me? (No Glorias needed just now).

2. Or, at least, if someone could input Fr. Spencer's Senor, Ten Piedad, Santo, and Cordero de Dios into modern notation, I could just use the English and Latin from the missal chant files. Perhaps the Spanish could be modeled to "match" it fontwise, etc? (Not a huge deal, but I would like the three to at least coordinate in design).

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  • chonakchonak
    Have a look at the pew cards at musicasacra.com/ordinary if you haven't seen them yet.
  • Claire, I was messing around with trying to generate modern notation of all of the scores I've already done in chant. It's still pretty experimental, but the attached PDF is an attempt to generate the modern notation from the chant. (The modern style I'm working towards is to match the Missal chants style.)

Also, the Lilypond source code if you need to tweak it can be found here: http://snipt.org/uMfe7 (This code is computer generated so it's not very pretty...)
  • Claire H

Father, this is splendid!! It is exactly what I need and matches the missal chants nicely in layout!

Two thoughts for improvement:

1. If keeping the layout like this, replace (rep.) with (bis) (as the Spanish hymnals do to indicate a repeat)

2. Even better, print the repeats so that each section can be clearly labeled "Cantor/Sacerdote" y "Todos". This is how I intend to lay out all of them.

Have you produced any of the others yet? (the other two needed are the Santo and Cordero de Dios, and, if you have it, a Memorial Acclamation.

Thank you so much for your marvelous resources!
  • Claire,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will consider them when I find time to start releasing modern notation versions along with the square note versions.

The above PDF contains the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei...perhaps you didn't see them because they are placed on separate pages.

Here is a quick take on the memorial acclamations. They would be better served by indicating the priest's part and the people's part (or at least an R/. and a V/.). But I will have to leave this to you to do as best fits your need. You can do this by modifying the Lilypond source which can be found here: http://snipt.org/uMjd7. Actually, I'm sure there are more competent Lilypond folks than me on the forum here that could assist you if you need it.

Blessings.
  • Claire H

Ah! Pardon me, I completely missed the subsequent pages. Thanks so much!

What I meant by Memorial Acclamation is: do you have the Mystery of Faith arranged at all to go with this setting?
  • Claire H

Apparently I am in far too much of a hurry today (honesty, I am normally more observant than this!). Thank you for already attaching the Memorial Acclamation!
  • Claire H:

In the Mexican version of the Roman Missal, each acclamation has its own corresponding "introduction" (for a lack of a better word).

Fr. Spencer, thank you so very much!!!!! My pastor, parochial vicar and choir director will be so pleased to have these in modern notation!!!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • My pleasure! I'm trying to figure out an easy way to do publishing of square note and modern styles for all those needing Spanish propers in both styles, so hopefully this is just the beginning...
  • Claire H

Is there anyone who could easily and quickly provide the "Mortem Tuam" in matching style to the Missal Chants? Since all the others on our pew card are including English, Spanish, and Latin, I don't want to leave off the Latin Memorial Acclamation. However, I can't find it in this layout. I am trying to wrap up the project ASAP...
  • Here you go.
  • Claire H
    Ralvarez, you are wonderful! Thank you so much! If it's not too much to ask, is it possible for the text to be a slightly large font, the note spacing to be a bit tighter, and the quilisma replaced with a standard note? It will better match the other chants and better fit in the layout with these adjustments.
  • Claire H
    The layout is to match this type as closely as possible:

http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=AgnusDei.pdf
  • I think this will work better for you...
  • Claire H
    PERFECT! I will offer a rosary for you in gratitude!!
  • Claire, I am working on a similar project in my parish. Would you be willing to share your final product? I too will off a rosary for you in gratitude! Thanks for your consideration.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Why do uploaded files go missing?
  • chonakchonak
    The uploaded files above are still visible if you're accessing the forum from a PC: they don't display on phones.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Nope. I'm viewing this on a Windows 7 machine running the latest version of Firefox and I don't see any links from ralvarez.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    On the other hand, the files posted by Fr. Spencer further up are still there.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    True Dat!
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I'm not able to find it either in the attachment database or the collection of uploaded files.
    Thanked by 1eft94530