Hitler reacts to the new translation of the Mass
  • There something wrong about using that meme for this, that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe that I never saw anyone quite that upset...or that it's Hitler. "So let's go to Mass..."
  • ryandryand
    I'm trying to decide whether the hitler meme or the related video with matt maher being a fool about the "science" of singing is funnier.

I lean toward hitler meme as funny, and maher as saddening.
  • Interestingly enough, sister Kathy, that portion of the satire (I've seen many clips of the original film satired on YT) actually struck me as quite poignant, ironic as it may be.
    For all the bluster and "word processing" at AWR's inquisition site, I latched onto the dewfall metaphor because of the "Hitler" satirist's connundrum, and pardon another pun, almost wept at its sheer beauty....rorate caeli, indeed.
  • GavinGavin
    There was a great "Der Untergang" parody in which they lip-synced that scene with the "line must be drawn here" monologue from Star Trek: First Contact. Unfortunately, it was lost to copyright issues.
  • Kathy
    Time to bump this up, apparently.
  • CharlesW

This still cracks me up every time I see it. It's hilarious!
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That's funny! I stumbled upon this post just yesterday before you bumped it. While most of the clerical complaining took on a more whiney tone, this is still hysterical; and I loved the Chesterton quote at the end. I was actually searching the forum for comments on Matt Maher's music and this came up. I'm now being asked to incorporate more and more P&W music. Perhaps I should add that to my scholarship appeal.
  • Protasius
    If one knows German it is not really funny because the parody is only in the subtitle.
  • CharlesW
    I don't speak German, and wondered what he is really saying.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Of course.

Peter Sellers adapted Mozart's Don Giovanni. The actors are singing the original text, but the humor lies in the mistranslated subtitles.
  • Kathy
    For German speakers, a year or so ago this was an "internet meme." People took this particular bit of film and changed the subtitles to make light of one furore or another. There was one about the trays in the cafeteria at the University of Notre Dame, if I recall.

Even non-German speakers know the names of Keitel and Yodel, but when he tells them to stay, everybody always subtitles it with, e.g., "whoever doesn't mind the new trays in the cafeteria, leave the room."

I don't exactly know why it's always so funny.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's some background from Know Your Meme:
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall-hitler-reacts