OF Nuptial Mass - St. Anthony of Padua Church, Hillsdale MI
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Next Saturday I'll be serving as organist/cantor/chant master for a very unique nuptial Mass.

A long-time friend of mine (who is herself a very orthodox, serious-minded "revert" Catholic) has a daughter getting married. About a year ago when the engagement was announced, it was made clear that I was to be the organist for the Mass as well as train and direct the mens' and womens' scholas. As luck would have it, a new pastor was assigned to the parish this past August. He is young, orthodox, formally trained in music and a convert. (He received his musical training at St. Olaf College, Northfield MN). He is also familiar with the nuptial Mass in the NO in Latin, and welcomed the opportunity to offer the Mass in this manner.

The parish, under his leadership, is undergoing a transformation, moving toward a restoration of the use of chant and polyphony in the regular Sunday Masses. This event will hopefully help to advance this goal, and from what I've been told there are many members of the parish who plan on attending the Mass. Even the music director, who himself is endeavoring to learn everything he can about chant, polyphony and the reform of the reform will be singing in the schola and has shared several discussions with me regarding the issues surrounding the movement.

Here is the music:

Prelude: Aria in the Classic Style (for organ and harp; Grandjany)

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - J.S. Bach (during the seating of the mothers)

Processional: Canon in D - Pachelbel (with organ and harp; not my choice, but the bride was insistent. I'm not arguing, based on what's coming next!)

Introit: Deus in loco sancto suo (Liber; mens' schola)

Kyrie: Missa Jubilate Deo

Gradual: Uxor tua (Liber; in place of a responsorial psalm; womens' schola)

Alleluia: Mitat vobis (Liber; mens' schola)

Offertory: Immittet angelus (Liber; female cantor solo. This was originally to be the Palestrina setting, but we ran out of time to prepare it.)

Sanctus/Agnus Dei: Missa Jubilate Deo; Memorial Acclamation from the revised translation ("We proclaim your death . . .") chanted to the missal melody

Communion: Beati mundo corde (Liber; women's schola)

Anthem: Ave verum corpus natum (Elgar)

At the Dedication to the Holy Family: Ave Maria (Gounod/Bach; Black List notwithstanding!)

Recessional: Finale Jubilante (from Five Pieces for Organ, 1957; Healey Willan)

There will also be a deacon assisting and 5 altar boys (incense, candles, processional cross, the whole nine yards).

I'm humbled and honored to have this rare opportunity to celebrate a nuptial Mass in this manner. Please keep me, the schola and the family in your prayers next Saturday!