Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter (for former Anglicans)
  • Blaise
    Summary: Rev. Fr. Jeffrey Steenson, Catholic priest and former Episcopalian bishop, named Ordinary by Pope Benedict XVI on January 1, 2012, the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

See www.usordinariate.org
  • CharlesW
    The ordinariate is good news, indeed. But can Fr. Steenson have the rank of bishop since he is married, or does he head the ordinariate as a priest?
  • Blaise
    He heads the ordinariate as presbyter, as you have noted. Nevertheless, according to the pope's decree passed a few years ago, the Ordinary is part of the territorial episcopal conference, whether he is a presbyter or bishop. Also,the Apostolic Constitution permits former Anglican bishops who are married and thus ineligible for Catholic episcopal ordination to request permission to use Catholic episcopal insignia.

(Please excuse any spelling/grammatical mistakes you may find. I am using a cell phone, and as you can guess, it is quite a challenge to type.)
  • CharlesW
    I am thrilled over this. I asked because I was considering his ability to ordain others. If he can't, that could be something of a liability. It's a good start, however, so no complaints on the ordinariate. I have said for some time, that if we get an Anglican Use parish in my area, I will apply for work as a musician there. The OF is too dependent on having a pastor who wants to do the right things musically. If that pastor leaves, everything goes to pot. Anglican Use has a venerable tradition it actually follows.
  • Blaise
    The local diocesan bishop is responsible for ordaining candidates for clerical orders upon receiving dismissorial letters from the Ordinary (letters authorizing ordination); however, the cleric becomes incardinated in the Ordinariate.

While it is too early to discuss what effect the Ordinariate will have on Catholic artistic and liturgical life, I mentioned this item chiefly, though not exclusively, in view of this (since this is a musical forum, afterall).
  • Blaise
    CharlesW,

Where do you live? There are news items almost every week about former Anglican congregations Ordinariate bound, so a parish might be coming near your area in some time-and I'm sure they will need organist-conductors, if they are not bringing in their own.