• kevinfkevinf
    Having just finished Jim Frazier's book on Durufle, I highly commend it to all if nothing else but for two chapters. One,entitled "The plainsong revival" chronicles the history and revival of chant in the late nineteenth century into the first half of the twentieth. Succinctly written, it details some of the currents and events and practices that shaped musicians like Tournemire, Durufle, Langlais and Messiaen who were profoundly influenced by chant. The other chapter, entitled "The church in transition" details the years following the VII council in France and the dissolution of the chant tradition. While I would not take either chapter as a complete story unto itself, they give fascinating insight into the liturgical traditions in Paris and the influence of chant upon composers as Durufle. Especially disconcerting is the discussion of the church right after VII. It is actually quite sad.

The book is "Maurice Durufle, the Man and his Music" published by University of Rochester Press. Not a cheap book, but a fascinating read. Highly recommended for those who love French organ music of the 20th century or the great churches of Paris or Maurice Durufle.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Uh-oh ... another book for my wish/bucket list.
  • CharlesW
    Me too!