Kalendas 2011
  • aldrich
    The Christmas proclamation.
  • Aldrich, you have to change the first line of this text according to the new edition of martyrologium
  • aldrich
    Sorry, but I was following the 1940 edition. Does the new martyrologium reflect the changes?
  • Take a look on the Vatican Booklet: http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2011/20111224.pdf it says: Octavo Kalendas ianuarii. Luna
    undetricesima. Innumeris transactis sæculis a creatione mundi, quando in principio Deus creavit cælum et terram et hominem formavit ad imaginem suam...
    Also there's a video on youtube that could help with hypenation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLf1TKn3rQ
  • The only error is the lunar date for MMXI, which is the 29th moon, or Luna undetricesima. Luna decima nona would have been correct last year.

As for the "new and improved" proclamation with its approximations of dates, it sort of takes the fun out of it, no? I mean can you imagine changing Genesis 1 to something like: "And he called the light Day, and the darkness Night; and there was an indeterminate period of time. And some innumerable ages later God said: Let there be a firmament ..."

Stick with the old formula, I say, written (no doubt) with great love by a pious monk in some specific place on a specific date in history known perhaps only to God, and have a Blessed Christmas!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>approximations of dates... takes the fun out of it

I agree!
  • gregpgregp
    I agree with Pedro, and I will also say that, for young people of an inquisitive nature, sometimes this is the only 'historical' information that is ever imparted to them. Many people have a knowledge of history which is limited to what they have experienced in their own lifetimes, and this helps to remind them that the spans of generations which passed through life before us should be, at the very least, remembered. Add to that the history of Salvation, and it becomes all the more interesting and important.
  • aldrich
    If you examine the text closely, you will note that "decima nona" is equal to "undetrigesima." Both are valid ordinal numbers in Latin. It so happens that Laudes festivae does not count the last two numbers of every decade by reference to the last item of the decade (i.e., decem et sex, decem et septem, duodetriginta (instead of decem et octo), undetriginta (instead of decem et novem), triginta (the terminal number; hence, what I call the reference)). "Decima nona" is straightforward; it calls to mind "twenty-ninth." "Undetrigesima" however is "one from the thirtieth," which is essentially the "twenty-ninth." Ergo, my lunar date is not an error.

And here comes the fatal correction. If this year is the twenty-ninth moon, it does not mean last year was the twenty-eighth moon. (You'll eventually be stumped because, following this logic, we will get "luna decima septima", i.e., twenty-seventh moon, for 2009, which was actually the "luna octava", i.e., eighth moon.) There is actually very little connection between the year and the lunar date, ORDER-wise, because the lunar date is checked against the Martyrology table, using the Martyrology letter assigned for the epact of the current year, which is obtained from the Paschal table. I may not be a licensed calendarist, but I studied the time-honoured method the Church uses to determine the dates of Her movable feasts.
  • chonakchonak
    "decima nona" calls to mind "twenty-ninth"? I would have thought that it meant "nineteenth", with "vigesima nona" as "twenty-ninth".
  • Chonak is correct. Aldrich's text was correct for 2010 (19th moon) but "vigesima nona" is "twenty-ninth," or "undetrigesima."
  • aldrich
    Oh, I'm deeply sorry, my bad. I will edit this ASAP.
  • aldrich
    Corrected Kalends are above.
  • Ted
    Would anybody know which moon it would be for 2016?
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • rarty
    For 2016, Christmas is on the 26th day of the moon. So:

Octávo Kaléndas Ianuárii. Luna vigésima sexta. Anno a ...
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • This used to mystify me - how one just came up with the correct moon phase for Christmas.

In reality, there is a system for determining this laid out in the Roman Martyrology, so there is no guesswork involved.

Part of the information included in a thorough table of moveable feasts is what is called basically a "Martyrology letter", which is used for this purpose. For example, the Martyrology letter for 2016 is "B".

Thus, you open a copy of the Roman Martyrology to December 25th (the Eighth Kalends of January, if you like), and look under the letter "B", and find that the number you want for this year happens to be "26".

These Martyrology letters run on a 19 year cycle, which is adjusted sometimes at the end of a century (just the same as is the case with the the Epacts / Golden numbers).

For example, currently the cycle runs:

2016 - B
    2017 - b
    2018 - n
    2019 - E

2020 - e
    2021 - r
    2022 - H
    2023 - h

2024 - u
    2025 - P
    2026 - l
    2027 - C

2028 - c
    2029 - p
    2030 - F
    2031 - f

2032 - s
    2033 - N
    2034 - k
    2035 - B

Etc.

[I think I got it correct! - check out the Antiphonale Monasticum (1934) for an example of a table of moveable feasts which includes these.]
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson