Hymn Tune Introits for Advent
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm attaching the most recent revision of the Hymn Tune Introits for Advent (Sundays as well as Weekdays of Advent) from Kathy's and my Hymn Tune Introits project.

Notes: (1) The CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM ("Creator of the stars") tune for the Sundays of Advent has a slightly different final cadence (the same for all Sundays), and the Anglican Chant has been changed so as to fit better with the mode of the Antiphon.
    (2) The tune for the weekdays of Advent before December 17 has been changed to WINCHESTER NEW ("On Jordan's bank") in a new harmonization. The Anglican Chant tune is the same as that of the Sunday Introits.
    (3) The tune for the weekdays of Advent from December 18-24 is VENI, VENI EMMANUEL, also in a new harmonization (two-partd plus ison on the Antiphon proper, but with a four-part refrain "Rejoice! Rejoice! ..."). The "Glory be" has the Anglican Chant tune previously used for the Sundays of Advent.
    (4) A separate sheet is provided with just the Antiphons for the Sundays of Advent, suitable for printing as a congregational aid.

PDF of the (side-by-side legal-size paper) spreads for viewing or single use are attached, as well as PDF of the semi-legal (7" by 8.5") sheets.

Chuck
  • Kathy
    If anyone has been toying with the idea of singing these antiphons in a local setting, tomorrow would be an excellent day to start. The O Antiphons begin, which is why Chuck has taken David Sullivan's excellent suggestion of setting the entrance antiphons to the well-known chant tune VENI, VENI Emmanuel. A liturgical page is turning, and here is a new way to note its approach.

He draws near. Come, let us adore Him!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Bump
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Thank you, thank you a million thank you's Charles! Just what I was looking for!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    Thanks again, you all. I was thinking about this literally this morning!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    This is really a great idea. I might use this for my congregation. I'll let you know.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen