Help Me ID This Unknown Tune (11.11.11.11)
  • For vespers we often sing "At the Name of Jesus" or "When In God's Own Image," both of which suggest the tune King's Weston. But we don't sing King's Weston, we sing this tune, which I transcribed after hearing it a few times.

I've never heard it before, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere online. Is this an obscure but already-existing tune, or did our community make it up somewhere along the way?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Some of the transcription seems to be a little off, but the tune in question seems to be, approximately, a parody of KING'S WESTON (65. 65. D).
  • I would think more "a tune inspired by King's Weston" (preserve the rough outlines, remove all the inspiration). The transcription makes perfect sense to me as a tune; I just don't know what it is. The offbeat entrances suggest something more modern than not.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yep, I agree about losing the inspiration.
  • chonakchonak
    I've seen "At the Name of Jesus" set to that tune in a Steubenville song book; IIRC, Jim Cowan composed it.
  • chonakchonak
    It's in "O Worship the King: Psalms, Hymns, and Songs of Worship, Volume II", Steubenville Liturgical Resources, copyright 1986.
  • Losing the inspiration?
    Um, how can one lose what one never had?
    It seems that items like this should fall under some species of plagiarism, certainly bastardisation! Defamation?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Mystery solved, but it seems nobody is going to be prosecuted for this one.
  • I dunno, I think that King's Weston is a fairly inspired tune. This, OTOH...
  • It appears that Mr. Cowan regularly tours/performs on what might be called "the Catholic praise and worship circuit": http://jimcowan.com/about.asp

The original poster's question has now been answered rather fully (it's a real tune, apparently inspired by King's Weston, and here is a copy of the published music, and at the composer's website one may find out how to get permission to reprint it et cetera). It's not the cup of tea of many of us here, but may I take up Charles' off-repeated refrain and suggest that we end the uncharitableness (and end the discussion)?
  • chonakchonak
    [Move along, nothing to see here :-)]